The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shrug:contemplating adding a supercharger or not -new engine being installed by dealer & would have a charger by lotus done at dealer also [ approx quote 6-7k ] -my concern is this - enjoy the 05 elise [base] as a DD -enjoy the low maintenance & reliabilty of car - but am concerned with possible increased trips to dealer because of increased maintenance due to modifications of this type - not a track guy, least not yet - dealer is 1hr 45min away

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
tough call.
I'm sure many will chime in telling you that you can get way more HP with other superchargers like they always do.
and on the other end others might say "why muck with it,. the cars are already fun enough"

But if you were to go with a supercharger, I imagine the dealer installed factory one would be less prone to having maintenance issues, if any, compared to the other supercharger options.

I'm kind've in the same boat, tho my dealer is only 5 miles away.
mine is just a garage queen, but I'm def jealous of those who have the extra HP, even tho i don't necessarily need it.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gizmo,thanks 4 ur thoughts -the $ are not as much my concern as the inconvience of needing to flat bed car hour & 40min if some sm thing prevents car from starting where ever I may be & it's related to this modification & not to abuse of car - unrelated to this topic I see u own a 74 MGB, I have a rubber bumper one [ 79 ] just had engine out to rebuild clutch & replaced some seals on engine while it was out -since much easier to get to - sorry I've never posted any pics of my cars -I also own a boxster in blk - their all beautiful cars but they have become my garage queens unfortunately to elise LOL

·
Registered
258 Posts
theres not much more maintence if you go with the stock charger or katana/BWR. Iif you dont mind the added initial expense there will not be any more additional expenses down the line, especially if its a street driven car.
reliability should be the same aslong as you maintain the car properly.

the only regret i have going supercharged is not having done it soooner.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Have you been in an Elise with the supercharger whine behind you? That should make the decision pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I agree. If you keep boost reasonable, and have $7k to spare.... it probably will not hurt reliability much, if any.

The car will be MORE fun, but as we all know, the car is already fun.

The question is you have $7K and they have a supercharger. Want to trade.

I dont............. yet

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you - would I save a few $ on installation if new engine is to be installed - in that it would be easier to install with engine out/clamshell off -[I mean I think the clam shell needs to be taken off for an eng. out/in ] - I know all I have to do is give dealer a call & would think new warranty would not be affected if a lotus dealer did the install - any thoughts on this, since new eng. from lotus is arriving from england by today I believe [didn't call them yet today]

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The supercharger is quiet when you are not in the throttle, the whine only comes on when you have your foot into it. I hear the TVS superchargers are even more quiet than the MP62 charger. Call me sick, but I love to hear the supercharger sing it's note when I drop the hammer. Thus far, the supercharger has been my most favorite upgrade by far. Strangely, my second favorite is the HID lights (night driving used to terrify me).

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have a factory SC on an 06 Elise. You will not regret it. I've driven both. The wine is not like some of the aftermarket kits that very pronounced. I personally don't like the wine to be too much.. but enough that I know it's there. At idle and light throttle you and others will know it's boosted.

The power is enough to make it worth the purchase IMO. The extra lbs of torque also help for DD. The maintenance is nothing more than stock if installed correctly. If you're having the dealership install it, there is not much too it. It's BASIC installation.

If you got the itch, do it. You will not regret it.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Just do a search for all of threads created by owners who regret installing their superchargers, and you'll have your answer.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
There is no reason to believe the factory SC will materially increase the maintenance costs of your car. Lotus shipped tons (relative) of SC cars (in the form of Exiges) and I am not aware of any SC-related issues over time. The cars carried the same factory warranty, and the power of the standard SC setup (220hp) is well within the tolerances of all of the components in the car. It's hard to imagine you would incur any additional expenses going with the factory setup.

Aftermarket setups seem to be similarly reliable, until you start to exceed part tolerances. Then you have to consider upgrades to compensate for weak stock parts. If it were me, I would look at my budget and then determine how much horsepower I can safely buy with that money (accounting for all required changes, not just the SC, if applicable.) We have excellent aftermarket support in this community, and if people were having problems with their SC systems, you would be hearing about it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would love to get an sc as well(300tvs) but I'm going to pay off the car first before major upgrades. I Keep thinking about how I could pay down the principle with that money. That's just me though. But since you're not me, get one!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If you think it won't hurt reliability, that isn't true at all.

Engines are rated on work hours. This is more common to hear about on heavy equipment but it applies to all engines.

If an engine is rated at 10,000 hours at 200hp, and you increase that to 250 hp, you might only get 7500hrs out of it.

Is the extra power worth it? I think so, but if you are trying to get the most life out of a motor, maybe the 200hp is enough.

And then you have to consider, will the clutch hold up, trans, axle shafts, etc? I've been through this a few times. My pickup truck for example was only a 215hp/420 ft lbs torque at the crank vehicle stock. It makes about 600hp/1300ft lbs now.
I've killed the trans several times (broken shafts, plantaries, smoked the clutch in the torque convertor), broken a rear driveshaft, broke the rear axle twice... it gets really expensive, never mind the ~$4k I put into the motor.

Sometimes it's nice to have something you can just fire up and drive and not ticker on constantly or worry it won't make that 500 mile drive.

BUT I can tell you if I had $6k laying around, there would be a supercharger on order for my car :nanner: Well that or a nice down payment for a John Deere tractor. rotfl

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If an engine is rated at 10,000 hours at 200hp, and you increase that to 250 hp, you might only get 7500hrs out of it.

And then you have to consider, will the clutch hold up, trans, axle shafts, etc? I've been through this a few times. My pickup truck for example was only a 215hp/420 ft lbs torque at the crank vehicle stock. It makes about 600hp/1300ft lbs now.
I've killed the trans several times (broken shafts, plantaries, smoked the clutch in the torque convertor), broken a rear driveshaft, broke the rear axle twice... it gets really expensive, never mind the ~$4k I put into the motor.
Not sure where you got this idea. Yes, more stress on the motor technically will lead to increased wear, but it does not automatically follow that that increased wear is enough to materially impact the life of the motor over the expected operational life of the vehicle. More will depend on how the vehicle is used - for instance, having 1300ft-lbs of torque does not automatically mean that the motor will produce that much all the time, and thus does not mean that every operational moment is incurring increased wear.

Engines produce power (and incur stress) only under load (it takes like 20 to 30hp only to maintain a car at highway speeds for example, which incurs no real stress on a motor no matter what it is capable of). If you drive with cold starts, hard launches and poor clutch work, it won't matter if you have 100hp or 1000hp - you are gonna break something.

Ultimately though, the best gauge of the reliability of these cars is experience - just ask people on here what problems they have had and whether any of them have been related to power upgrades and under what conditions they were driving their vehicles. I've got 22k miles on mine, 18k with the stock 220hp on SC, and 4k on 300hp. No powertrain related issues, including clutch. Solid car so far.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It's not an idea, it's a fact. The numbers I used are just pulled out of a hat as an example though.

Keep in mind that I DID go to school for this stuff. I'm an ASE certified diesel and auto mechanic.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts