The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone in the Dallas area have an aftermarket supercharged elise? I am toying with the idea of adding a SC to my 05, and would like to chat with someone local first. Who in the area can install the SC? Is a cluch replacement manditory for a stage 1 kit? I am not currently tracking the car, but would like a bit more street HP. Chime in with opinions.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a few other questions that I can toss out there.

Are you in Dallas?

I notice the kit was reduced $$ on the S111 site. Do you remember how much SoulSpeed charged you for install?

Did they use the ECU tune by Charlie X?

Years ago I had a 03 Z28 that had some mods done and I am looking for that type of acceleration. I would expect that the SC makes a huge (very noticable) difference?

I am running Lotus stage II exhaust - do you think that would be fine?

Will you PM me your # and let me know if and when you are available to chat? Or if you are going to be out in the car next weekend we could meet for lunch somewhere (my treat of course). I just want to feel more comfortable with the idea before I spend $5K to $6K on this thing and then realize my car is not as reliable.

-Brad

·
Registered
389 Posts
The following is a quote from a post I made last November.

"I have been driving my wife around for over a year (spiritedly) in my stock '06 Elise. Yesterday, I took her for a ride in the upgraded version (+53whp). I SCARED her! She said, "am I going to have a near-death experience every time I get in this car with you?!" Then my stepson, age 24, an ultimate fighter, said "That just makes your heart pound really fast!" It was a good Thanksgiving.

Fox Valley Motorcars in W Chicago did the install. While the car was in, they also put in a shift reinforcer, which is worth it, by the way, and replaced the StarShield on the rocker panels and where the front license plate would go (over my dead body!)

All I can say is that this car is DRAMATICALLY more fun, with smooth, urgent power all the way up, and the supercharger sounds nice - you can definitely hear it, but it's not an overpowering sound in the cabin. The performance difference is HUGE. Acceleration-wise, it's a totally different car. It was SO worth it." (end quote)

And yes, I am running stock clutch, no probs still in May '08.

I am not in your area, but thought this might be helpful info.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info...thanks DR Chris.

Rubbercow, I read your SC post before you replied. S111 is now referring everyone to CharlieX for the tune by contacting him directly. I am about a month (maybe 2 months) from having the thing dropped in so next group meeting would be fine. (I am waiting for the hottest time of year to put it in the shop) I would also like to hear what it sounds like and if the stars allign, get you to take me for a ride. I promise not to soil your seats ;-) Do you normally go to the group happy hour at the Londoner in Addison? I went last week and there were probably 10-15 people there.

Last question - any particular reason you shipped the car back to Dallas rather than driving it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got this back from Soulspeed today. Does it sound about right? If I break out the kit and the parts, it looks like the labor charge is about 1700 or so. (roughly 22 hrs at their shop rate)

Brad,

Thanks for your inquiry. We do the Katana install as a complete package which includes the following...

Sector 111 Katana Supercharger kit
Charlie X ECM reflash
3 before and 3 after dyno pulls to establish a baseline and determine that the kit is functioning properly
new NGK spark plugs
new K&N air filter
all labor and taxes
The total cost for this package is $6250 turn key, turnaround time is 7-10 days, we require a deposit of $2250 with the balance due upon delivery of the completed car. Please feel free to call me if you have any questions and we can discuss them in detail, we look forward to working with you.

Regards,

Jasper Benson
SoulSpeed Performance

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops, I just noticed they included tax in that # as well. So they are probably in the $1400 ballpark on labor. That sounds much better.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah...there is nobody closer than Austin, and I really only want to go to a place that someone has experience with. There is one other place in Austin and one in San Antonio and that's it for Texas. Plus it will be an excuse to drive the hill country.

-Brad

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey guys,

If you look at our price compared to the individual costs of the items if you were to purchase them yourself it's really a hell of a deal...

Sector 111 S/C kit - $4300
Charlie X ECM reflash - $600
K&N filter - $64.95
NGK plugs - $11.75 x 4

That alone puts you at a little over $5000 not including any shipping charges or taxes, throw in two dyno sessions, and install by techs well versed in both the kit and Lotus' in general and we feel it's a pretty sweet package.

-Jasper

:shift:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trust me, I agree 100%. I am just getting a feel for what kind of time is involved, and post my research for all to share. I hear that others have installed themselves in 4 consecutive 4 to 6hour days which would put them right in the 16 to 24 hour range. Right now I am about 80% set on doing this at the end of June or sometime in July, and if I do I am fairly sure it will be with your shop. (you will have to owe rubbercow a beer for his referral) I will probably decide in the next 2 to 3 weeks and go ahead and pay the deposit a couple of weeks in advance. Then she is all yours. I would also like to see rubbercow's car sometime before I start the ball rolling.

-B

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh and I couldnt help but notice...CharlieX is really proud of his work!! I guess a lot of hours go into tweeking a program before he saves it and duplicates it hundreds of times in a few seconds. Oh well, from what I read he is really really good so I am sure it is worth every cent.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
It is my humble opinion that $600 for CharlieX's work is perfectly fair.

The amount of time, tools, effort, travel, etc that can be attributed to his development work is downright huge. And when one considers that his total market for the product is, what, maybe 100 cars or something, then he certainly deserves $60K out of the deal. Spread that out over a couple years time and you can understand that he's spend most of his weekends and other free time earning not much more than he could have earned working a lot of overtime at a decent job in a year.

I mean I don't want to spend any more than I have to when it's my turn to boost, but let's don't go spouting off about how expensive it is.

xtn

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
7-10 days is long.. I knock it out in a day working myself..
Yeah but you're like a mechanical savant. You can turn an economy station wagon into a 400hp, AWD sleeper beast in a weekend.

xtn

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is my humble opinion that $600 for CharlieX's work is perfectly fair.

I mean I don't want to spend any more than I have to when it's my turn to boost, but let's don't go spouting off about how expensive it is.

xtn
Dude I hear ya! It was just more than I expected to see and like I said I dont doubt it is worth the money. I know, everything we do to our cars is $$$. yes even cup holders LOL. By the way, arent you in Dallas too? I think I saw your car at the londoner last meeting.

-B

·
Registered
274 Posts
7-10 days is long.. I knock it out in a day working myself..
7-10 day turnaround. That includes having the car dynoed before and after the install, plus at least 3-4 days of waiting on the ECM to come back. The actual hard parts take a day. Also, since most of our customers are from out of town we like to actually test drive the vehicle some before we give it back to ensure they won't have any problems. Bring us the car on a Friday or Saturday and, most likely, we'll have it ready the following weekend. We'd rather tell you 10 days and have it in 7 than say 3 and take 2 weeks. Man, I love the internet.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have an SC and am in the DFW area (denton/lewisville).

I have the tripoint kit with an xede piggyback.

mine was installed by kverges on the board. He did an amazing job and has been trouble free.....

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Dude I hear ya! It was just more than I expected to see and like I said I dont doubt it is worth the money. I know, everything we do to our cars is $$$. yes even cup holders LOL. By the way, arent you in Dallas too? I think I saw your car at the londoner last meeting.

-B
I'm in McKinney and did attend the Londoner last meeting.

I had the choice of red wheels or a supercharger. :cool:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I have an SC and am in the DFW area (denton/lewisville).

I have the tripoint kit with an xede piggyback.

mine was installed by kverges on the board. He did an amazing job and has been trouble free.....
What's your name again?

·
Registered
308 Posts
What's your name again?
I let you drive my car and you cant remember my name... jeez Christian you are old :)

... its Ryan

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I let you drive my car and you cant remember my name... jeez Christian you are old :)

... its Ryan
I know I know. Please don't take it personally. If I didn't warn you then I'll tell you now. I've usually got to meet somebody about fifty times before I'll remember their name, unless I am in contact with them very regularly. I try and try. I've taken those classes designed to help you remember peoples' names. Didn't work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts