The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm considering getting SC'd (BWR w/ Charlie Tune) and wanted to get some suggestions for installation in my area (NY/NJ/PA). I called the Lotus shop I use for other work and while I'm sure they'd do a solid job, they quoted 18 hours - From what I understand of the install, that seemed high and when combined with their rate/hr, it was out of my range.

Anyone know of the best places that would do an install within a few hours on NYC? If so, any ideas on costs would be very helpful as well

Thanks

PS - Or, if there are any mechanically gifted locals with the right tools and knowledge who would do the install with me....I'd offer up massive amounts of food, drinks, and my undying gratitude/appreciation :D

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Oh, plan on doing the install myself. Basically the garage is a project that's coming along. I have a rotary compressor in the basement that needs to be hooked up. Then I need to run the copper pipe into the garage for compressed air. Also need to address the garage door to go up to the ceiling so that a car on the lift doesn't get smacked by the door (also will allow the car to go all the way up). Just bought a tire changer and balancer =) Wasn't sure how soon you wanted to do the install.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow...that sounds like an awesome setup - I wish I had a garage like that. I live in hoboken so I feel lucky just to have an indoor parking space :D

I haven't bought the kit yet...but I was thinking I'd probably look to install sometime between now and May (so I've got it for peak driving months this summer)

Oh, plan on doing the install myself. Basically the garage is a project that's coming along. I have a rotary compressor in the basement that needs to be hooked up. Then I need to run the copper pipe into the garage for compressed air. Also need to address the garage door to go up to the ceiling so that a car on the lift doesn't get smacked by the door (also will allow the car to go all the way up). Just bought a tire changer and balancer =) Wasn't sure how soon you wanted to do the install.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
If you want to change to a Sector 111 setup and drive up to Buffalo....we could do it here.

I am working on my second right now and it gets easier.The only problem is the turn around time for the ECU....otherwise we could do it in a day.

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want to change to a Sector 111 setup and drive up to Buffalo....we could do it here.

I am working on my second right now and it gets easier.The only problem is the turn around time for the ECU....otherwise we could do it in a day.
Thanks very much Tony. I'd do the drive to Buffalo, but I've got a BWR on the way .

You're right about the ECU being a bit of a hassle. Do you know if it's possible to install the SC and then drive with the stock ECU (just enough to get home and send it for reflash) or must the car not be driven at all until the reflashed ecu is installed?

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I dont know about driving it on the old ECU. You would have to ask Charlie X.....he would know.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Michael_In_Hoboken - If you get your Elise super-charged, Could I come over and compare the performance ? I am thinking of one myself but cannot make up my mind which one to choose from.

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
Michael_In_Hoboken - If you get your Elise super-charged, Could I come over and compare the performance ? I am thinking of one myself but cannot make up my mind which one to choose from.
2 yrs ago, ran test: my NA Elise, 3500 RPM to Redline, 3rd gear, i.e. no shifts: 9.27 sec

With chip as only mod: 8.24

Lweins Exige S220: 7.2

Lweins Exige S240, much faster, not timed yet

Same road, roughly same amt of fuel. It's a good test; used it for decades, but you need a long enough gear to minimize timing errors.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/pes-chip-experience-37912/

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sure thing. Hoping to have it completed sometime in the next 2 months

2 yrs ago, ran test: my NA Elise, 3500 RPM to Redline, 3rd gear, i.e. no shifts: 9.27 sec

With chip as only mod: 8.24

Lweins Exige S220: 7.2

Lweins Exige S240, much faster, not timed yet

Same road, roughly same amt of fuel. It's a good test; used it for decades, but you need a long enough gear to minimize timing errors.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/pes-chip-experience-37912/
That sounds like a very good test. I think I'll do some benchmark testing on my own for a before and after comparison

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey Mike to my knowlege the cost to install a supercharger to an Elise is $6,000.00. Thats the price Lotus told us at our dealership. That price reflects cost of parts and labor and its all done here at Rothrock Lotus. I hope this helps you with the cost of your project.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts