The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I'd cross-link this thread from the Northeast Region section in case anyone else has info
----------------------------------

I'm considering getting SC'd (BWR w/ Charlie Tune) and wanted to get some suggestions for installation in my area (NY/NJ/PA). I called the Lotus shop I use for other work and while I'm sure they'd do a solid job, they quoted 18 hours - From what I understand of the install, that seemed high and when combined with their rate/hr, it was out of my range.

Anyone know of the best places that would do an install within a few hours on NYC? If so, any ideas on costs would be very helpful as well

Thanks

PS - Or, if there are any mechanically gifted locals with the right tools and knowledge who would do the install with me....I'd offer up massive amounts of food, drinks, and my undying gratitude/appreciation :D

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I haven't install a supercharger before but me and my buddy did a Greddy Turbo on my S2000. Wasn't that hard. If you want to tackle the install yourself, I am willing to give you a hand over some weekend.
Sunny

·
Registered
438 Posts
Just curious, when you say your considering bwr sc plus charlie tune do you mean the used one for sale on the forum?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, actually. I tried, but that seller needs an 06 ECU in exchange and my car is an 05.

Just curious, when you say your considering bwr sc plus charlie tune do you mean the used one for sale on the forum?

·
Registered
92 Posts
You should really consider knocking it out yourself. Mybrother and i did my BWR install over a weekend. It really was very straght forward. The pictures that accompany the instructions make it a pretty easy step by step process. No crazy tools needed, just the standards. And with full disclosure, embarrising or not, I had not so much as changed my own oil before trying this. I literally had NEVER worked on an engine, period, before attempting this. 6 months later, running great with no problems.

Save you a good bit of cash, and brings you a bit closer to the car. awwwww.

Check out the pics with the instructions to see what you think.

The longest part: Removing the rear clam
The hardest part: Relocating the Alternator
The Scariest part: starting for the first time afterwards
The most Rewarding part: Gunning it after your 50 mile break in, and realizing you did it correctly!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Oh ok, I ask because I was considering it but there is someone else infront of me in line haha. Like said above, I am going to be doing it myself. From all the threads I have read where others have, i think if you have the basic tools and know how to use them that you can knock it out yourself.

No, actually. I tried, but that seller needs an 06 ECU in exchange and my car is an 05.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
And with full disclosure, embarrising or not, I had not so much as changed my own oil before trying this. I literally had NEVER worked on an engine, period, before attempting this. 6 months later, running great with no problems.

:clap: Good on you!

I'm glad to hear this, as I'm in about the same boat and I'll being putting mine in myself.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm definitely thinking about it. I'm a little concerned [read as: EXTREMELY SCARED:panic:] to do a job like this alone. I'm generally a hands on person but when it comes to engine work of any kind, I've never had the chance to get into it. To make things tougher, I'm lacking tools, ramps etc

Rather then send it off to a shop, my best-case is that someone who has done it before is willing to walk me through it...that would eliminate fear AND give me a chance to really learn the car.

I figured I may luck out and someone here may offer up their expertise

You should really consider knocking it out yourself. Mybrother and i did my BWR install over a weekend. It really was very straght forward. The pictures that accompany the instructions make it a pretty easy step by step process. No crazy tools needed, just the standards. And with full disclosure, embarrising or not, I had not so much as changed my own oil before trying this. I literally had NEVER worked on an engine, period, before attempting this. 6 months later, running great with no problems.

Check out the pics with the instructions to see what you think.

The longest part: Removing the rear clam
The hardest part: Relocating the Alternator
The Scariest part: starting for the first time afterwards
The most Rewarding part: Gunning it after your 50 mile break in, and realizing you did it correctly!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. Does BWR offer their SC hardware at a better price if don't go with their ECU? I like the BWR hardware, and Charlie's tune looks to be the 'smartest' of so I think this combination would be be the best of all worlds. I am also concerned for Charlie's tune on BWR hardware - is it specific, or adaptable?

As an aside, is there a sticky somewhere that lists just this info? I've been searching, but so far have mostly dig up pages of arguments ... the signal to noise ratio for this subject is unbelievable.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes, the BWR SC is offered without a tune...their site is just a little hard to understand. Basically without the tune, it's $3400. Talk to Fred.

I'm interested in this as well. Does BWR offer their SC hardware at a better price if don't go with their ECU? I like the BWR hardware, and Charlie's tune looks to be the 'smartest' of so I think this combination would be be the best of all worlds. I am also concerned for Charlie's tune on BWR hardware - is it specific, or adaptable?

As an aside, is there a sticky somewhere that lists just this info? I've been searching, but so far have mostly dig up pages of arguments ... the signal to noise ratio for this subject is unbelievable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts