The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well 2 months after I bought my Lotus without discussing it with my wife she has filed for seperation. Well, i was depressed for a short while but then went out and purchased a waterfront home with a 40 ft pier and a jetski lift in the backyard. As i deal with all the furniture purchases, and moving I was thinking of the order of purchases. I have never been on a jetski. Anyone have some feedback on comparing supercharging a 2005 lotus vs tooling around the Chesapeake on a jetski. I'm probably never going to track my Lotus anyway and my days of frequent highway races are over......in my neighborhood anyway. Also any tips on the best kind of jetski, 2-3-4 person one, is e-bay an ok way of buying one, etc. Meanwhile i guess Ill shop for a yacht as well.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You're my hero :bow:

Don't know much about jetskis but I would definitely get one if I were you.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I supercharged my lotus a couple of months ago and then just recently my sister bought a two person jet ski. We live about an hour from the lake we use it at. I love the super charger on the lotus, grins every day. Then I drove the jet ski this past weekend and that was a lot of fun also, in my opinion very similar to the lotus in that if you gun it, it GOES! Not a lot of weight to move. Now while I had a lot of fun on the jet ski and thought for a little I need me one of these, I decided not because I think it would get old for me. Where as the s/c for the lotus never gets old. I love it on the track and off the track. I am sure I will get used to the power and want more but I will never stop loving the whine.

I hope my rambling some how contributed to your decision.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You live on the water, you would be crazy to not take advantage of it. You need a jetski or a boat. Maybe a pair of jetskis AND a boat.

I am kinda sorta wrestling with the idea of purchasing a pair of jetskis, but already have two boats and live a couple miles from a launch. If I had all of them in the water at my house with out the hassle of launching, you better believe I would be watching sunset every evening with my feet wet.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have been on a jetski and have a an 07 exige s. I would go for the jetski if you love the water. Get one big enouhg to tow with then you can tow a skier or wakeboarder. Get double duty out of it.
If not much of a fan of the water then SC charger is in your future

·
Registered
891 Posts
supercharged my lotus 6-7 months ago but now i am also looking to find a supercharged jet ski (kawasaki ultra 250x) ...

go on for them both ... summer is ending !
;)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Damn your separation must be going better than mine. I can't afford **** :D

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Learn to drive what you have well first and foremost amigo!

Well 2 months after I bought my Lotus without discussing it with my wife she has filed for separation...
Last thing you need is more horsepower. :rolleyes:

Get the jetski, get laid a lot this summer... and save all your cash for the divorce lawyers. ;)

Remember what the Old Professor once said: "If it flys, floats, or f****, lease it."

rotfl

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd go with the jetski, a nice two person one so it still has some oomph!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well 2 months after I bought my Lotus without discussing it with my wife she has filed for seperation. Well, i was depressed for a short while but then went out and purchased a waterfront home with a 40 ft pier and a jetski lift in the backyard. As i deal with all the furniture purchases, and moving I was thinking of the order of purchases. I have never been on a jetski. Anyone have some feedback on comparing supercharging a 2005 lotus vs tooling around the Chesapeake on a jetski. I'm probably never going to track my Lotus anyway and my days of frequent highway races are over......in my neighborhood anyway. Also any tips on the best kind of jetski, 2-3-4 person one, is e-bay an ok way of buying one, etc. Meanwhile i guess Ill shop for a yacht as well.
If you really can afford a waterfront home and are shopping for a yacht, why not just buy both? Problem solved!:D

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Jetskis are fun if you have other people to play with. So if you bring someone = fun. If you have an extra one for someone else to ride = fun.

Rented one this past week end in Cape Cod. Almost broke my arm going full speed off huge wakes. Face planted into the handle bars too. But I didn't fall off :eek:

·
Registered
663 Posts
My problem with the newer PWC's is they are VERY heavy & are not as fun if you are into lighter more nimble things :) I have a 1999 ultra 150 jetski & even though it has 100 HP less then some of the newer ski's it weighs 300-400lbs less & to me is more fun. The heavier/newer ski's will just plow through waves vs my ski that will jump them..... but in rough water they can just cruise along while I am getting thrown everywhere.... which can be good & bad!

You could do both & just get a older ski like what I have. You should be able to find a used ultra 150 for under $3K now & they are easy to mod incase you want more power. There are things to look for with used ski's..... shoot me a PM & I can try to help or at least steer you in the right direction.

They are fun & with the right ski you do not need other people on the water to have fun. If you get the wrong ski, it's boring even with lots of other people out there......

·
Registered
96 Posts
A good friend bought a Harley Sturgis. Not one of the phony new ones, a genuine, mid 80's shovelhead - cracked exhaust pipes, oil leaks and all. Wife said, it's me or the bike.

I hold that man up as one of my role models for setting priorities.

If you live on the water, jetskis are a ball. Modest improvement to the Elise, or an entirely new form of transportation.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Isn't separation a prelude for divorce? If she files for divorce, what can she take from you under MD state law?

I'm guessing that since the Lotus was bought while married (community property), she may be able to take that. If you go with the Jetski, have it under someone elses name. You should probably consider doing that with some of your other assets.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Everytime I've been on a jetski, it's an absolute blast.....for about 20 minutes. Then it seems kind of boring. Don't know why. I guess cause it just seems the scenery and the feel is the same. Can go out on the motorcycle for hours though and never get bored of it. Different strokes I guess.
Seems almost obligatory with a place on the water but personally I wouldn't end up using one enough to make it worth purchasing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I live on the water (Annapolis) and all my neighbors have yachts (50+ feet in come cases), small sailboats, power boats, jet skis, etc....

You know what I notice? Most of them don't use them. I would say that I have never even seen 80% of the boats on my creek move even once in two years here. They are mostly decorations.

I'd say if you get a jet ski, get a cheap/older one to start off with. Or better yet, find someone on here to HAS a jetski but no place to store/park it. Maybe work a little deal there ... Free parking in exchange for your getting to use it. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts