The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am literally paralyzed and unable to make a decision and am hoping for some opinions. I've been looking at Elise's for a bit now and have been unable to decide between cars. I am looking for just a weekend fun car - just street driving and possibly an auto-x here and there. For around the same price and model year I am currently looking at 2 cars. One is a supercharged elise (VF1) with no other mods that has an accident on the title but has been dual confirmed as just minor fiberglass damage that was repaired so well that it is not noticeable. The rest of the history is unknown but it has been checked out and a reputable dealer says it is good to go. The other is a car with 10K more mileage, a thorough maintenance history, some track days, and most mods except a supercharger (has adjustable suspension, toe-links, radiator, hoses, baffled pans, new full body film, ACT clutch, exhaust, BOE tune etc). One I can inspect, test drive and purchase the other would have to be delivered and cross my fingers (though the seller is legit).
So in your mind does a base supercharger, 10K less mileage and unknown history = more fun and better value than a very well sorted car with extensive history and reliability upgrades? When it comes time to eventually sell will the combo of supercharger and less miles offset the non-clear title (at the risk of more things breaking and me having to sink money into it)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If it were me I would go with the car w/ documentation. The mods done to the car are great and seem well thought-thru and are known. Whoever owned the car before obviously took care of it and knew what they were doing. Those mods (to me) are worth more than a supercharger, probably from a cost perspective as well. You can always drop a S/C in it later down the road and have peice of mind with a sorted AND documented car.

Reactions: kapps and Jetblast

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that looks like a pretty nice build and with Turbophil's recommendation it has to be good. Honestly though as a first time buyer and non-mechanically inclined individual I find the Rev400 builds very intimidating. I'm looking for a bit more show and less go if you know what I mean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts