The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be supercharging my 05 elise shortly and had a question. I have read a couple posts that have stated the BOE has almost no whine to it.... Thats half the reason I want a supercharger, for the intoxicating whine. Anyone have experience either way?

·
Registered
533 Posts
My BOE Rev 250 kit with the M62 whines and screams.

Supposedly the kits with the TVS superchargers are much much quieter.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Your getting it for the wrong reason at that point.

Stick with the BOE, you wont regret it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Tvs is much quieter indeed. But you still hear it whining when you floor it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tvs is much quieter indeed. But you still hear it whining when you floor it.
Yeah my TVS makes almost no noise at all. You do hear the whistle from the throttle body, but that's about it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah my TVS makes almost no noise at all. You do hear the whistle from the throttle body, but that's about it.
Whistle is very nice, in the beginning I thought there was an air leak lol.
My TVS is clearly audible, but not as loud as mp62, like you see in youtube clips from VF2 owners.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Comments from my VF2,

Sounds like it is eating the air, sun and earth when going by

I love when you pass me because the sound of your SC is just amazing

Is the SC as loud inside as it is when it passes? Instructor, it only just epic inside the car, not OMG did you just hear that beast

Im satisfied...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Only whining I ever hear from a SC is from the owners, as I pass them with my TURBO Elise....:facepalm

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,772 Posts
Only whining I ever hear from a SC is from the owners, as I pass them with my TURBO Elise....:facepalm
Wow... you are the most annoying person on this forum! The only person that I could stand less was a guy who went by the username of dickedup... I mean you post nothing of substance!

·
Registered
99 Posts
The supercharger whine on my stock mp62 is pretty loud and sounds good. But you can't go wrong with the TVS setup man :shift:

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If you want whine get the MP62. It has the traditional Mustang Cobra whine.

The TVS is designed to run at double digits boost levels, so it does not have the whine.

Doesn't bother me if thats what your after. I know alot of people that like turbo specifically cause of blow of valves and waste gates that dump to atmosphere. What'evs makes you happy, I do miss the whine of the MP62 :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
At one of my track events I ran into a guy who workes for Eaton and he agreed that the TVS does not make the same whine as the MP62, but it has a cool sound none the less. He said I would dig it. I havent ridden in a TVS car so I cant compare. Looking forward to hearing it none the less.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I agree with all you guys. I havent even considered the FASTWORKS tune because I dont want to be associated with anything this guy is a part of...

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
ya sure, go try and pass turbophil or Fred. In their REV400 supercharged Elise's. Think you can break their track records? I'd fly out to see that. I need a nikasil block built up anyway. I could combine business with pleasure.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
I love the whine of the MP62 with the decat but the tvs has proven to be a better blower. As far as turbo's go I love them and have had many in other cars. The cost for turbocharging is alot more. Maybe better efficiancy then the m62 but close on the tvs. Last I looked Darksol was in the low 11's 1/4 mile with the tvs. Wonder what the turbo's are running out of curiosity. Tuning has come a long way with the elige and now your budget will determine whatever choice you go with. How is low end torgue with the gt28RS turbos? I know there are some dynos will have to compare. Good luck and I am sure you will be happy with whatever rought you choose.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate all the feedback. I ended up decing to go with the BOE rev300. I would love the 400 but the price of upgrading the other components becomes cost prohibitive(for me at this point). Im not sure if everyone thinks like me but id say probably. If I bought the 400 Id have to upgrade the clutch. So now I have the tranny seperated, why not upgrade to a LSD? Hell the clutch is out how about a Lightened flywheel. Then im making the extra power.... better get a catchcan and oilpan.... but I dont want to end up fuel starved so the surge tank sounds good. .... Then im spending about 4600 more to upgrade to the 400.... I better take this in steps if I dont want the fiance to notice. Thanks for all the input. Anyone in NE is welcome to come visit during the build. My father brews beer so its always a good time in his garage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback. I ended up decing to go with the BOE rev300. I would love the 400 but the price of upgrading the other components becomes cost prohibitive(for me at this point). Im not sure if everyone thinks like me but id say probably. If I bought the 400 Id have to upgrade the clutch. So now I have the tranny seperated, why not upgrade to a LSD? Hell the clutch is out how about a Lightened flywheel. Then im making the extra power.... better get a catchcan and oilpan.... but I dont want to end up fuel starved so the surge tank sounds good. .... Then im spending about 4600 more to upgrade to the 400.... I better take this in steps if I dont want the fiance to notice. Thanks for all the input. Anyone in NE is welcome to come visit during the build. My father brews beer so its always a good time in his garage.
That was my exact thought process when I went with the REV300TVS kit as well. Of course I wanted the 400, but all the other pieces you'll end up upgrading make it a much more cost + time intensive install. Plus it's always a possibility to upgrade to in the future :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts