The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I don’t really want to spend all the money for the stuff on the market that I don’t feel is quite up to my wants for supplemental cooling. I’ll build my own. Step 1, make mold....stay tuned

·
Administrator
3,147 Posts
I started to do that last year with some spray can foam and then shaped it but never got around to finishing the plug. Yours looks better already.

Reactions: GDBB

·
Administrator
3,147 Posts
Looking good! Mine needs a bend so I can attach it to BOE CAI on the Elise and I will have water trap to drain off water spray like a dorade box.

·
2006 Exige
749 Posts
We heard you like side scoops, so we got side scoops for your side scoops!

Good work there - looks great!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking good! Mine needs a bend so I can attach it to BOE CAI on the Elise and I will have water trap to drain off water spray like a dorade box.
This is just the passenger side so far which will just be right to IC...the mold for the drivers side will have a split Y attachment at the rear, one hookup for BOE intake and the other for the IC. The problem with the left side is the BOE tube is 4 inch and the clam won’t allow a 4 inch pipe to fit into the scoop without deforming it heavily, so the left will have to be a 2 piece design. Rear will be hooked to tubing then slipped in from rear then attach to the front part of the scoop.

·
Administrator
3,147 Posts
This is just the passenger side so far which will just be right to IC...the mold for the drivers side will have a split Y attachment at the rear, one hookup for BOE intake and the other for the IC. The problem with the left side is the BOE tube is 4 inch and the clam won’t allow a 4 inch pipe to fit into the scoop without deforming it heavily, so the left will have to be a 2 piece design. Rear will be hooked to tubing then slipped in from rear then attach to the front part of the scoop.
Having the Elise mine's a bit less complicated which my mind needs...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having the Elise mine's a bit less complicated which my mind needs...
Yea the exige is a bit mind bending with the left side. I’m not even sure that it benefits at all from having the flex pipe connected to the intake as the distance to the fresh air scoop is less than a foot. I may just remove it and go with the same way I am currently doing. It sure would be a lot less difficult.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sweet idea!

Maybe I’m not understanding the method here, but it looks like you’re smoothing the rough side of the rough glass. I would’ve thought you’d smooth the plug, pull a mold, then lay up the final part inside the mold.

If you’re going to lay up on the outside of that mold, why not just lay up directly on the plug?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet idea!

Maybe I’m not understanding the method here, but it looks like you’re smoothing the rough side of the rough glass. I would’ve thought you’d smooth the plug, pull a mold, then lay up the final part inside the mold.

If you’re going to lay up on the outside of that mold, why not just lay up directly on the plug?
I’m using the disposable mold method. Make mold, lay glass over it, then melt the mold away, then you’re left with the part. Then using body filler to smooth out all around. Easiest way to do it and budget friendly, total cost for the entire project will be under $75 including hardware.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Humm.. I would think this would be a great 3D printed part. Anyone interested? All I would need would be some dimensions. A lot less messy too! I could add mounting tabs too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m using the disposable mold method. Make mold, lay glass over it, then melt the mold away, then you’re left with the part. Then using body filler to smooth out all around. Easiest way to do it and budget friendly, total cost for the entire project will be under $75 including hardware.
Nice! Just semantics then—when you posted a photo of the part saying “release mold”, I thought what you were holding was the mold.

Looks great!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Humm.. I would think this would be a great 3D printed part. Anyone interested? All I would need would be some dimensions. A lot less messy too! I could add mounting tabs too.
Wish I would of known that. Mattjk was printing me these before he passed away. There is a file already online. If you want to print them I’ll take a set. Matt was modifying the design for me to fit with 62mm at the outlet on right side and was designing me a 2 outlet on the left side. One at 3.95 and one at 62mm with the 3.95 on top. Link is below.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another note if you do decide to give it a go, the inlet should be as wide as possible. The ones I made are 4 inches wide by 6 inches tall. I’d like to see what you could come up with.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Another note if you do decide to give it a go, the inlet should be as wide as possible. The ones I made are 4 inches wide by 6 inches tall. I’d like to see what you could come up with.
I will look at it tonight!

Reactions: arsenal

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yes, I can make them. I cannot modify the files he provided because they are printer files, not CAD files. Kind of like a PDF, read only. I could reverse engineer them to make them wider if need be. Who would be interested?

Reactions: bucket
1 - 20 of 48 Posts