The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Supplemental side scoop project

3K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  GDBB 
#1 ·
As I don’t really want to spend all the money for the stuff on the market that I don’t feel is quite up to my wants for supplemental cooling. I’ll build my own. Step 1, make mold....stay tuned

See less See more
#2 ·
I started to do that last year with some spray can foam and then shaped it but never got around to finishing the plug. Yours looks better already.

Reactions: GDBB
#5 ·
Looking good! Mine needs a bend so I can attach it to BOE CAI on the Elise and I will have water trap to drain off water spray like a dorade box.

#7 ·
This is just the passenger side so far which will just be right to IC...the mold for the drivers side will have a split Y attachment at the rear, one hookup for BOE intake and the other for the IC. The problem with the left side is the BOE tube is 4 inch and the clam won’t allow a 4 inch pipe to fit into the scoop without deforming it heavily, so the left will have to be a 2 piece design. Rear will be hooked to tubing then slipped in from rear then attach to the front part of the scoop.

#13 ·
Sweet idea!

Maybe I’m not understanding the method here, but it looks like you’re smoothing the rough side of the rough glass. I would’ve thought you’d smooth the plug, pull a mold, then lay up the final part inside the mold.

If you’re going to lay up on the outside of that mold, why not just lay up directly on the plug?

#14 ·
I’m using the disposable mold method. Make mold, lay glass over it, then melt the mold away, then you’re left with the part. Then using body filler to smooth out all around. Easiest way to do it and budget friendly, total cost for the entire project will be under $75 including hardware.

#15 ·
Humm.. I would think this would be a great 3D printed part. Anyone interested? All I would need would be some dimensions. A lot less messy too! I could add mounting tabs too.

#17 ·
Wish I would of known that. Mattjk was printing me these before he passed away. There is a file already online. If you want to print them I’ll take a set. Matt was modifying the design for me to fit with 62mm at the outlet on right side and was designing me a 2 outlet on the left side. One at 3.95 and one at 62mm with the 3.95 on top. Link is below.

#20 ·
Yes, I can make them. I cannot modify the files he provided because they are printer files, not CAD files. Kind of like a PDF, read only. I could reverse engineer them to make them wider if need be. Who would be interested?

Reactions: bucket
#21 ·
Not sure who would be interested but I’m in. I wouldn’t want a 2 piece design tho. I’d want one piece for each side. As wide and as tall as could possibly fit in there. Not sure if you have exige at home to get measurements off of.

#23 ·
First black gel coat on. Makes it a lot easier to see low spots for the final fill ins once it cures. Few more sands and a nice coat of paint and I think it’ll work out well...

total cost - $68.19 and since I have all materials the left side won’t cost anything but my time. Couldn’t justify spending $400+ on “on the market “ Air scoops.

#24 ·
I really like the way that came out! How do you plan to attach it? Keep feeding us pictures as your project progresses. :love: 👍

#29 ·
Looks nice, but I would indeed go as wide and tall as possible. Do replace (or remove) the side scoop mesh with less obstructive material. It seems that many or most overlook this. In my real-world driving tests, I measured airflow through some prototype ducts with and without the OEM mesh up to 100 MPH. The airflow was reduced by 60% merely from the mesh alone!

#33 ·
I wish I had an Exige to model this on, even just a few hours. Does anyone want to participate that lives near 32940 (Melbourne, FL) zip code?

#41 ·
Wow! I admire the handiwork and effort. I took the easy way out. I bought a couple of NACA ducts from Pegasus racing - like these for about $21 each:

Then I bought a couple of speaker port tubes for a few bucks - like these:

I got a spare intercooler duct, drilled holes into each side and shoved the speaker port tubes through them and then bought brake duct hose and clamped it in place connecting the NACA duct to the speaker port tubes. I don't remember the exact sizes/diameters of the NACA ducts or the speaker port tubes I used, but that was my cheap and off-the-shelf parts approach. Not as perfect a fit as this custom solution, but I have neither the skill nor the patience to do something like this.

#42 ·
Wow! I admire the handiwork and effort. I took the easy way out. I bought a couple of NACA ducts from Pegasus racing - like these for about $21 each:

Then I bought a couple of speaker port tubes for a few bucks - like these:

I got a spare intercooler duct, drilled holes into each side and shoved the speaker port tubes through them and then bought brake duct hose and clamped it in place connecting the NACA duct to the speaker port tubes. Not as perfect a fit as this custom solution, but I have neither the skill nor the patience to do something like this.
I appreciate it. It’s winter here so it’s something to do and I don’t like spending money when I don’t have too. This was a fun and messy project but the end result will give me what I want, and for way under what it cost to buy something. Thanks for the praise.

#43 ·
Rough glassed left side. This side will be a lot larger than right side as I’m going to incorporate the ITG intake hose into the bottom of this scoop via some slats towards the bottom.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

#46 ·
I printed the passenger side and it came out great. Now to print the drivers side. Anyone interested?

#47 ·
Oh, since this is the "add lightness" forum, each scoop weighs about 192g.

#48 ·
Ducting ran and hooked up. This was not the way I wanted to route them, but it’s the only way with how my car is currently configured. In the future, the removal of the charc can and relocation of the ohlin res on both sides will allow me to run them under the frame and not have to worry about rubbing on the clam. I epoxied 2 rubber pads onto the inside of the clam where the tubing touches to hopefully prevent premature wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.