The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Margaret and I are training for the <a href= "http://www.latriathlon.com/">LA Triathlon</a> Sprint on September 7th. The event will require a .4 mile swim, 19 mile bike and 5k run to the finish. Margaret is doing the swimming. My boss is doing the biking and I’m running.

My girlfriend (Margaret) has been extremely supportive of my petrol addiction :shift: and has been at my side at every race of the Lotus Challenge Series. She has even done fairly well driving at Randy’s autocross and one of Jacob’s karting parties. She loves to swim and wants to get back into the sport by entering us into the race. Got to support her now and commit to this. My boss is a great guy in his late 40s. He has worked out all his life and is in top shape. We’re not worried about him pulling his weight.

This event is coming up fast, but we are going to try and be competitive. We need support to keep up the training so Im going to blog about it and would love support, training ideas and general diet. We are not doctors or fitness experts. But we are healthy and do work out on a regular basis.

My goal is to run the 5k in 24 minutes or less. Biggest obstacles for me are going to be working on the road the week before the event and not partying it up by enjoying the refreshing taste of JD over LSU’s dominating Saturdays and the smack down that will be Volunteered to UCLA on 9/1. Go SEC!!

Training is starting hard as of now.

Today, Margaret swam an 8 x 100 free on 1 minute 30 second lap intervals with warm up and cool down. Margaret is very competitive and will be stepping up the intervals to 1 minute 15 second lap intervals soon. I ran to and from the gym and did light lifting. Then I ran 3.2 miles, level 1 incline in 27.5 minutes. Pretty bad, but its a starting point. I wasnt winded and could have done some what better.

Tomorrow Im going to be hitting the basket ball courts with my buddies. We play for about 2.5 hours full court. Im usually the one running the hardest b/c I can only make points on fast breaks with guys playing crappy D and getting tired.

Advice on training plans, diet, etc is VERY welcome!

Doug

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Serious jet lag kicked in last night. Fell asleep - out cold - at 6pm and I got up today around 5am...a seriously odd thing for me. There were a couple of in-coherent phone calls last night, but I was out of it. Really upset I missed ball with the guys. That’s one event I’ve done consistently for the past 2 years.

Since I was up at 5am I decided to make the most it and reviewed all of Necro's weird photos on the last photo thread. Entertaining.

Then, I ran about a mile to my gym and did 3 miles of sprints and walks on the tread mill, averaging sub 12 minute miles. I should have stepped up the sprint speed as I wasn’t really getting fully winded.

We found the results of the triathlon last year: http://www.latriathlon.com/Results/07results/sprintrelays.html

With a goal of 24 minute mile, I should be towards the top of the pack for mixed team results! In the pool, my gf is doing the swim in 10 minutes. If anyone knows how much time you should add to your pool time for an ocean swim we would love to hear it.

So does anyone on this forum participate in 5ks or other triathlon type of events? Love to hear some good advice.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I am an avid runner. If you need someone to go for a run with for motivation I would gladly join along.

I think what you guys are doing is awesome and would be interested in trying a team type of event sometime.

One note on diet, carbs. Lots of them, but only when appropriate. Nothing else too special except eat healthy. It really helps over the long term to avoid crashing out.

Also, if you want to measure yourself running outside (because tread mills suck) I have a Garmin GPS running watch you can borrow for training.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If you need training advice, let me know. I've been in far better shape ;) but I recently received by degree in Exercise Physiology.

As far as aerobic endurance goes, there a quite a few methods one can use, but the easiest one to increase your VO2max (or the amount of oxygen your body can utilize) without overtraining is to run at your lactate threshold. Your lactate threshold is the point at which your body will start to become acidotic resulting in fatigue. If you run below your lactate threshold you can run forever (theoretically) provided there is sufficient fuel.

In english: run at 70-75% of your maximum heart rate. Assuming you're 30 years old your max heart rate would be roughly 190 (220 - age). So keep your heart rate around 135-140 and you will not fatigue. It may feel like it, but you can continue to run. Any professional marathoner will hit this sweet spot and use it to their advantage. They know it's the fastest their body can go while continuing for 26 miles.

There is promising research in HIIT (High intensity interval training) but it's quite grueling and you can run the risk of overtraining. For a beginner, I'd start out at a 1 minute jog, 30 second all-out-sprint, followed by a 1 minute jog (rinse/repeat) and try to go for 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
26 yo right now. About 170lbs 6'1"

I wouldnt describe myself as a beginner. Tonight I'll try what your talking about and see if I can make it. Only 15 minutes for a full work out? Sounds like a deal.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
26 yo right now. About 170lbs 6'1"

I wouldnt describe myself as a beginner. Tonight I'll try what your talking about and see if I can make it. Only 15 minutes for a full work out? Sounds like a deal.
If 30 second sprints are too short, up it to a minute, but if you're pushing yourself hard, you WILL be fatigued.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Friday was a good day. I went to a cycle class for an hour. The class used some of the 30 second to one minute sprints you guys talked about. However, over the course of an hour, I think we only did 4 sprints. This wasn’t as intense as the 15 minute routine recommended.

My gf hit the pool and did two practice runs, full 650 meters (.4 miles). Both times, she did both of them in sub 9 minutes wearing a bikini…if she does that in the ocean, we’ll win for sure.

That night, we went out for a good dinner. I took forum members’ advice and had a good fish and veggie plate.

Today, we are going to some bbqs and relaxing at the pool. Looking forward to relaxing with friends and some college football. However, I'll be sure to stay away from the beer. Sunday…we are going shopping for a wet suit. Everyone is telling us that the wetsuit will actually make you faster in the ocean. Plus its currently about 69 degrees in the water…that’s pretty cold

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the weekend was great with two bbqs and a day of playing cards. Didn’t exercise much, but the rest was nice. Margaret picked up a triathlon wet suit on Sunday. These things are very different from the scuba/surf ones you are probably used to using. These wet suits, besides keeping you warm, are supposed to allow you to be more buoyant and give you less drag in the water. They are also easily torn and, to my disappointment, can not be used for really any other purpose. They can not handle white water, scuba or surfing…they will simply tear.

Using the suit, her times actually went down in the pool! She is doing amazing in the pool and I hope she can be within 3 minutes of these times. She hit the pool both Tuesday and Wednesday with the full wet suit/goggles/swim cap. Casual swimmers at the gym must think she is nuts.

In Tucson, I’ve been doing some great runs. Each day, I’m knocking about 20 seconds off my 5k and keep running to complete 4 miles. My times have come down to the mid 26s. With a goal of 24s and only a few days from the race, I don’t think I will make it. In only two weeks, my times starting at 29 minutes and struggling to now to breaking 27 minutes without a problem.

I only wish my lap times were this easy to cut down!!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On Friday, I was able to get a 5k in at 25 minutes and 40 seconds! Really wish we had just one more week to practice. Saturday the team got together at the Marriott in Venice. They had a course talk, our transponder, our numbers and lots of goodies for all participants.

Can't believe how many people were there. There was a lot of energy in the air.

So now its the morning of the race. At 6am, we started getting ready. Margaret is on here way now to the start line. I am going to be walking over to my transition point in an hour. Its 20 miles from the ocean and we can't risk getting stuck in traffic so I will not be able to see her swim.

Wish us luck! We will post some more pictures after the race!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3rd place baby! Out of 47 teams, we placed third! The race went great. Margaret started the race with the .4 mile swim which was complete mayhem. Everyone stormed into the ocean and clawed their way to the front. A girl kept drafting and pulling on Margaret when she started to pull ahead. Once she had enough, Margaret ripped the goggles off the girl and put them around her neck as a trophy! That’s my girl! She came in at 15 minutes which put us behind.

My boss got on the bike for a 20 mile ride behind. This guy is 45 years old and over 220lbs of muscle. Not your typical guy in this race. However, he is in to notch shape. He managed to work his way up to the top of the pack and came in 6th for team relay biking!

Now I had a 5k jaunt to the finish line. We had to run up Grand street to the concert hall and back down to LA Live. Grand street has one hell of an incline that worked me hard. However, there was so much energy in the air. I kept running the whole way and made the 5k in 22 minutes! That was enough to put our team in 3rd.

We had a total blast and signed up for another marathon for September 21. There are a lot more marathons coming up. If you’re a strong biker and would be interested…please let me know! We would love to have someone join us!

Thanks for the advice on diet and training. I’ve started to eat a lot more fish and fruit for breakfast. Also, I’m running the wind sprints. Those are not too fun, but I do them. Yes, I am wearing a Lotus hat for the event...

Can’t wait for the next race.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's awesome, congratulations. I have been doing triathlons for many years, now just a couple of short "sprints" each season, but I still love it. Be careful, it is addictive, but in a good way!
Good advice from Brennan on interval training. It will definitley bring down your run times. I do hard 1/4 mile intervals after a mile or so warm up with 1:1 rest between intervals.
Keep up the good work !
Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
A girl kept drafting and pulling on Margaret when she started to pull ahead. Once she had enough, Margaret ripped the goggles off the girl and put them around her neck as a trophy! That’s my girl!

Can’t wait for the next race.
:confused: If a runner gets near you, do you push him to the ground and steal his shoes?

I've done many open water swims, including triathlons ranging from local sprints to Ironman Hawaii. I know swims at many races are mayhem, but stealing goggles from a fellow competitor is simply unethical. Triathlon is better off without people like this. Please, find another sport. Seriously.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts