The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that with forced induction, minor modification such as an exhaust or intake work net decent results. At least more-so than on N/A cars. So I'm sure many of you have done more than just a S/C or turbo kit on your car, and have a lot of first hand experience with other modifications and how they changed your cars characteristics (be it sound, power, handling etc). I'm basically hopeing for a discussion to begin about first hand experience with your set-ups. That could help others and myself in their own builds with F/I.

I'm asking because I will be on the market for an Elise in the near future. I am already set on going with a S/C kit right after buying the car (after ensuring everything on it is in sound working order). Currently I think I'm going to go with the VF Stage II kit, for what I have in mind I think it fits what I'm looking for best. I'm specifically looking for more information on exhausts, clutches, and LSD's (if the car I purschase doesn't have one already fitted). For the exhaust, I plan on buying one at the same time I get my kit, so that I can have the car tuned for that addition. For the clutch, I'll likely get it at the same time, but won't install until the stock clutch starts to show signs of wear. I also plan on going with a clam hinge kit at the same time (also a reason why I need an aftermarket exhaust), and was specifically wondering how the different exhausts work with the BOE clam hinge. (Non-related question) : I am also still confused on how the BOE hinge effects that rear panel. I'm assuming it's that silver panel above the diffuser... as I've read that has to be deleted for the hinge to work. I'm not a fan of that completely open look in the rear, and was wondering what my options are with my exhaust, hinge, and rear panel fitment.

For exhaust reviews, Youtube videos can be very misleading. I've actually found that detailed descriptions of the exhaust note can be just as, if not more helpful. Also, obviously some exhausts are more directed for a F/I set-up than others. I've found very little information on our options for upgraded clutches.

Anyway, If you have any information, even if doesn't pertain to me or my questions, feel free to share. I hope this thread will remain broad as to help others with similar questions with supporting modifications for their F/I kits.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
One of the comparisons between supercharger, vs supercharger Headers, decat, cat-back exhaust, and intake can be found on Sector111's site. The Katana2 kit (supercharger, reflash, injectors) is 245 crank HP. The Katana265 kit (same supercharger as katana2, reflash, injectors, cold air intake, headers, decat) is rated at 265 crank HP. With their combination, you get an extra 20hp for the headers, decat and intake. As boost goes up, the intake and exhaust will make a bigger difference. Keep in mind, yes, it will likely require the cost of a tune if you make significant changes in intake and exhaust (especially intake). Don't forget to hit monkeywrenchracing.com, Sector111.com, BWR.com, and BOE.com for your various clutch options. The stock clutch should be uprated if you are planning on more than 270HP. You should also consider transmission upgrades (quaife, e153, jubu gear set) if you are much above the 270HP range and drive hard.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Unless your really set on the Elise body style or the price range, you may look at getting a 2007 Exige (first year supercharged) and then look at the price of a Kold Fire tune and smaller pulley. (about $1100 total). When you factor in the price of the Elise + MP62 based kits + the time spent installing everything you might find just buying the more expensive car intially is a better choice. And then stuff like exhuast would apply no matter which car you went with.

Now if your looking at the TVS based kits then ya your not going to get that from a factory car. But pushing the MP62 kits (about 260-270 at the wheels) should stay within the limits of the stock engine and transmission & clutch.

EDIT: Ya looks like its about $10K between a '05-'06 Elise and a '07 Exige S. Thats a little more then the price difference of the supercharger kit. Plus you have the time saved of not installing everything, plus by 2007 they had cleaned up a couple things over the 2005 (taillights, radio, headlights, a/c). Then like I said add a smaller pulley (about $100) and a Kold Fire tune and header/sport cat/exhuast and your pretty much tapped out for the MP62, with out any real work done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts