The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fortunately I implemented a fail safe and got back on the road with little drama or inconvenience.

Turns out the spring for the latch which the gas lid mounts to some how got binded. But once freed to clicked back into place and all was well thereafter.

This will eventually happen to all Evoras, looking at how the piss poor latches were designed. It's only a matter of time. You don't know how many requests I've gotten just for the trunk latch alone.

Lotus, if you're listening.. your latches suck. Every. Single. One.

/rant

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts

/rant
I believe it's from Ford or Jaguar (or both), so maybe Lotus should pass it on :facepalm

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fortunately I implemented a fail safe and got back on the road with little drama or inconvenience.

Turns out the spring for the latch which the gas lid mounts to some how got binded. But once freed to clicked back into place and all was well thereafter.

This will eventually happen to all Evoras, looking at how the piss poor latches were designed. It's only a matter of time. You don't know how many requests I've gotten just for the trunk latch alone.

/rant
Squid, could you please share more info on how you implemented a fail safe?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
No, you don't want this posted here, because the opening you trunk without a key will be public knowledge! Might as well deposit your safe code and banking pin on Facebook.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
No, you don't want this posted here, because the opening you trunk without a key will be public knowledge! Might as well deposit your safe code and banking pin on Facebook.
YUP!:facepalm

·
Registered
169 Posts
So was the failing part the plastic fuel cap, or the cover (part of body) that we pop open when we push the fuel button?

I was just interested in how to prevent and save myself from trouble if I ever ran into the same problem, not interested in any illegal stuff :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I still haven't figured out which way to orient the fuel cap so the lid will stay shut. I always have to try and close it 3 times or so. Pops right back up usually. Doesn't even try to latch.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I still haven't figured out which way to orient the fuel cap so the lid will stay shut. I always have to try and close it 3 times or so. Pops right back up usually. Doesn't even try to latch.
Make sure you are pushing down to close the fuel flap (door) on the front part of the door (by the hinge) not the rear part. (Its opposite than what I expected when I first tried).

·
Registered
856 Posts
Came here to post the same thing. I have become so inspired by this thread and the trunk thread that I have decided to also create threads of my own in which I claim to have solved problems that may or may not exist on the Evora and then keep the solution to myself so that people on the internet ask me for it. Sounds empowering.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
That is really snarky. Squid took time to solve an actual problem, and was smart enough to refrain from posting something on a public forum that would allow thieves or vandals to get into the boot. He has also been great about PM'ing that info to owners that ask.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If anyone needs, I always try to send reply to emails. Btw I'm not the only one who knows. I have replied to at least a couple of dozen owners on the trunk solution so just make a request in the original thread and I'm sure one of those people will step up and help in the event I'm not able to answer in a timely manner, (which I apologize for).

Phaphaphooey, I withheld posting the trunk solution for the reasons already stated in this thread (as well as the original thread). I would have happily to sent you the solution if you had simply pm'd me. But you never did.. Anyway I recommend all owners do it. It saved by butt on two occasions.

As for the other fail safes I did post the one for the front fluid services door already.

PM me for the solution to this problem if your interested. I've decided not to post it for reasons I won't go into.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My latch fell apart with the hatch closed, dealer called factory and the solution from the factory, if you call it that took the dealer over 7 hours to open hatch!
mine was a rare case though as the latch fell into pieces so Fob didn't work nor the emergency cable.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think that phaphaphooey's point was that keeping the solution in PM's is really no better than posting it in the forum, since you really don't know the folks who are asking via PM's.

Think about it.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think that phaphaphooey's point was that keeping the solution in PM's is really no better than posting it in the forum, since you really don't know the folks who are asking via PM's.

Think about it.

:rolleyes:
Don't want to put words in his mouth but I am assuming Squid vetted the PM's he has had and confirmed they belonged to long term members here

·
Registered
856 Posts
Perhaps I was being a douchebag as it wouldn't be the first time. I just assumed that this thread was like the other wherein a solution is cryptically teased but not delivered, especially since I can't think of a reason why detailing the improvised safety mechanism for the fuel flap would endanger the Evora community. With that said however, the internet is still a free place for the time being in my neck of the woods and the guy is free to post or not post whatever he pleases. It just rubbed me and apparently some others the wrong way.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
For what its worth, Squid has done his share of helping Evora owners with coming up with solutions to various problems.
His ideas are pretty good and I appreciate that he takes the time to even post that he has a solution. :clap:

I also agree with him that certain things don't need to be posted for a google search to reveal. If you need the info, a quick PM to him gets a reply. He responded almost immediately to my requests. (Although, we all have a life and are not on this forum 24/7. So, I completely understand any delays to replying to a PM.)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Squid would you mind sending me the trunk and gascap solution as well? Already did the ziptie front access solution..

·
Registered
387 Posts
Me too please! I just got my car but not the manual yet, and can't figure out how to get the trunk open! Half the time , I can't even get out of the driver's side door because it won't unlock :)

I did get the gas door to open, but that was unintentional!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts