The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being on a long business trip in Japan, I returned to find a beautiful 2006 Exige parked in my garage. My wife and I had been shopping for a sports car for some time now and had finally zeroed in on what we really wanted. While I was away, she found the perfect car, purchased it, and drove it back from NY. I have always wanted a Lotus (I'm a huge 7 fan) and could not be happier with this car. The driving experience is basically perfect. We've had it down to southern Ohio a few times now to get a feel for the car and the level of communication it provides is unreal compared to most modern cars. It makes my MINI feel like a rubber band.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I nominate your wife for the LT Hall of Fame! :bow:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, thanks guys. She is a wonderful wife. She also likes to autocross, and her times aren't too bad, either.

I do have some questions about the car. Its approaching 15k miles and will be ready for an oil change and accessory belt. After talking to the local Lotus dealer I'm going to do it myself, because I'd have to sell my left nut just to pay for the oil from them. As far as tools, it looks like the only thing I don't have is ramps and some rubber pads for my jack stands. Are the race ramps 2 piece the best choice? As for the oil filter, is that a Toyota part?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Yeah a dealer oil change is a rip off. You can get a Toyota oil filter. There's plenty off the shelf options too, do a search for the vast many opinions. There's also a TRD filter option that many like, but your dealer will probably have to order it.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Haha, thanks guys. She is a wonderful wife. She also likes to autocross, and her times aren't too bad, either.
You're a lucky man!! Congrats :)

I do have some questions about the car. Its approaching 15k miles and will be ready for an oil change and accessory belt. After talking to the local Lotus dealer I'm going to do it myself, because I'd have to sell my left nut just to pay for the oil from them. As far as tools, it looks like the only thing I don't have is ramps and some rubber pads for my jack stands. Are the race ramps 2 piece the best choice? As for the oil filter, is that a Toyota part?
As mentioned changing the oil is easy - but make sure you complete all the other points on the 15k service schedule too as per the following table.

A couple of key points:
  • You need to change your brake fluid annually irrespective of mileage and unless you know when it was last done I would do it now.
  • You should check the torque of your rear toe-links
  • Check your records as to when the coolant was last changed as it is 4 yearly
Have fun :)

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Congrats on the awesome car and wife!!! I just got my '06 Exige a month ago and absolutely love it!

There is some debate about oil and filters. I will be using Mobil 1 oil and filters for my car so that is the part numbers I have. There is a taller oil filter, #209 that some use. It has a larger element but the top of it has only 6 holes. The 103 has 9. Both have the same size holes but the 103 has much more than the 209 so it will have less oil restriction.

As for oil, Ill be using the full syn 5w 40 turbo diesel. I like the ZDDP in it for the cam protection and to hell with the catalytic converter. I would rather replace the cat than the cams

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
...can she change oil as well?? :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aedo, thank you for the very helpful reply. It looks like I should have no problem with all of the service items. I look forward to getting to know the car better by working on her.

Fisthammer, I'm even having a hard time not cracking jokes with that comment!

The car is black/black. At some point I won't be lazy and figure out how to post pics.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
if you get a filter for a 2005 celica gts, it will fit. Many other cars use the same drive train and cross referece as well.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
I remember reading her thread about it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts