FWD Elise ? That is the first !!!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
the link is not working..

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yes, autotrader.ca is full of scams right now.

There was an 05 Elise (not allowed in Canada) for $19k, 06 A4 for $5400, etc.

Tim

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Foreign escrow scams. No real penalty for them when they steal your money. There is really no one to do anything to them. Our country doesn't have jurisdiction over theirs. And what does theirs care if they are ripping someone off in another country.
Those ads are usually listed by someone in Germany, China, Nigeria, etc.
The follow up story is usually how it's in Europe after moving from (country the ad is listed in) and had problems titling it or something so they are just selling and shipping back to someone in (your country).
...and you can send them a "fully refundable" deposit until the vehicle is "shipped" for your "inspection" and then send the balance once you approve it. There is no vehicle, it is never shipped, and the "escrow" company you western unioned your "deposit" to doesn't exist. Wash, rinse, repeat.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...unfortunately, the advanced fee fraud crowd has also moved into sniping big-ticket items listed by legitimate sellers - i've lost significant auction fees that way, not to mention potential sales, after they outbid all the legitimate buyers, and by the time i finish going through due process to get ebay to cancel the (clearly fraudulent) bid, my account's already been billed with no recourse other than a credit toward future listings...

...it's gotten bad enough that i really don't consider ebay a viable market for high-visibility big-ticket items anymore, and all i'm left is a pile of credits that i doubt i'll ever feel it's worth my time to use...

·
Registered
438 Posts
...unfortunately, the advanced fee fraud crowd has also moved into sniping big-ticket items listed by legitimate sellers - i've lost significant auction fees that way, not to mention potential sales, after they outbid all the legitimate buyers, and by the time i finish going through due process to get ebay to cancel the (clearly fraudulent) bid, my account's already been billed with no recourse other than a credit toward future listings...

...it's gotten bad enough that i really don't consider ebay a viable market for high-visibility big-ticket items anymore, and all i'm left is a pile of credits that i doubt i'll ever feel it's worth my time to use...

I had the same exact problem trying to sell a high dollar laptop. At first I had a buy it now and they scammed that. So after getting my money back from ebay I listed it without a buy it now but then they did exactly what you said, outbid everyone. For a while I was getting invoices with negative money on it. I called ebay and they said they could send me a refund, but that it would take a while. I havent checked my paypal account to see if it worked but its been a couple weeks. Maybe you should look into that.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
...m... You can actually get the credit applied to your credit card on file if you send customer service an "email" via the site form. They don't automate it because they want your money. If they weren't willing to do that, they would be asking for some sort of class action.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Also, I don't understand why any of the 'advanced deposit' scams work at all. Why would anyone buy a car without either being able to see it or send someone to see it? Because it's such a good deal? So what, if you can't see the car, it doesn't exist.

People have no common sense.

I also wonder how the scammers can sleep at night knowing they just blew a bunch of someone else's hard earned money on strippers, but that's another issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts