The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am looking at a Lotus Elise with Damage to the upper suspension pickup point....... damaged aluminium chassis at the suspension piviot.

Can this area be repaired ????

I am look at a car for Tarmac Rallying ang the Regulations allow strengthening of these areas so maybe I can do both ?????

Thanks for your help

Regards

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I am looking at a Lotus Elise with Damage to the upper suspension pickup point....... damaged aluminium chassis at the suspension piviot.

Basically, no they cannot. The only repair that is going to work is to replace the chassis. The price of the chassis isn't outrageous, but the labor for moving the rest of the car from the old chassis to the new one is going to be prohibitively expensive if you are going to pay to have it done. If you can do it yourself, it will be a very large project, but not difficult - just time consuming.

The cost of replacing/repairing the fiberglass body sections are also going to add into the cost, as well as the prep and painting of the body. Again, if you are doing it yourself, it's doable (if you must), but a very expensive proposition if you need to hire it out.

Bottom line is that it's much, much cheaper to buy a good non-wrecked car then to try to repair a totaled one (there is a reason that it was totaled - the chassis is NOT repairable).

And as always, this subject has been discussed many times on the forum. There are lots of threads that can be found via the use of the search function.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Wouldn't the Elise make a horrible Rally car?

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Hi there,

I am look at a car for Tarmac Rallying ang the Regulations allow strengthening of these areas so maybe I can do both ?????

Thanks for your help

Regards
As others have said - no it cannot be repaired or strengthened.

Are you looking for an S1 or S2?

Wouldn't the Elise make a horrible Rally car?
Tarmac rally - see Targa Tasmania (my avatar was taken during Targa a few years ago) - and Elises/Exiges are great for them!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
This has always been the subject of much debate. I think it's possible to repair it, but difficult and not worth the risk from a safety perspective. Perhaps with a rally car, it's not as big of a deal as you'd likely be reinforcing those points anyway. You'd really need to be careful and get someone who knows what they're doing and is familiar with the alloy and fabrication techniques of the Elise chassis. It's risky, but again, if you strengthen the mounting points way beyond stock levels, I suspect it could be done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Elise do make great rally cars (Tarmac Rally Cars that is)

One came 3rd outright in Targa Tasmania in 1999, against Porsche GT3's Lambo's, Evo's, Wrx's etc....... all of which are "tuned up" for competition.

Great performance this...... it was driven by a Lotus Factory Driver (Professional) but still the top 10 or 15 finishers in this event are Professional Racers.

So 5 days and 45 stages and 3rd...... not bad really.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
People in the USofA don't know what tarmac is:wave:

Tarmac (short for tarmacadam, a portmanteau for tar-penetration macadam) is a type of highway surface, pioneered by John Loudon McAdam in around 1820. Strictly speaking, Tarmac refers to a material patented by Edgar Purnell Hooley in 1901. The term is also used, with varying degrees of correctness, for a variety of other materials, including tar-grouted macadam, Tarvia, bituminous surface treatments and even modern asphalt concrete.
Contents
[hide]
:shift:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
tasroadster

The issue with the aluminum alloy used in the Elise body is that us loses 80% strength when welded. To get it back to normal strength it has to go through a heat treatment process. But by the time you finish I am sure that all the adhesives on the car will somehow be affected. I have an Elise with this issue. And I have not done anything to it just yet. Just recently I started doing extensive homework and research on this matter. The only thing I am considering doing is getting it welded up with a TIG welder, and using fabricated aluminum mounts that will be mounted in there held by, most likely, bolts and an adhesive that BMW uses to bond their aluminum frames.

BUT... According to Lotus, the chassis CANNOT be repaired.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
According to Lotus, the chassis CANNOT be repaired.
Don't put words in their mouths. According to Lotus, there is no APPROVED repair.

xtn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats a real shame about the frame repair ???

Tarmac is bitumen / sealled road surface ........ not gravel (gravel rally).

Sorry about that......... must be down under talk !!!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Don't put words in their mouths. According to Lotus, there is no APPROVED repair.

xtn
I stand corrected:D

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Asphalt :wave:

Nice pics:clap::shift:
Which is closer to what they call bitumen, although we do use the term for the entire class, regardless of the aggregate content.
;)

+1
Great pics!

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The Great CodyMac knows all.

Technically asphalt, as bitumen, refers to the binding material used with the aggregate. The final surface, composed of the aggregate AND the asphalt binder, is called asphalt concrete, at least within the industry. The general public calls the finished surface just "asphalt" and leaves off the "concrete."

xtn

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Codymac and xtn, you are smart guys but you are both wrong:wave:

Lets have a close look at the question...

Thanks Patriko - so what is do you call tarmac in the US?
Aedo asked me what I call tarmac when I am in the US :D:shift:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts

Doesn't mean we are wrong. Means we gave correct info that did not answer the question.

xtn

PS - Cody is smarter, but I'm more of an *******, so it kinda evens out.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Doesn't mean we are wrong. Means we gave correct info that did not answer the question.

xtn

PS - Cody is smarter, but I'm more of an *******, so it kinda evens out.
You got me there :)

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

Aedo asked me what I call tarmac when I am in the US :D:shift:
Oh, I beg to differ...
:wave:

I'd leave it to Aedo to clarify if his second person pronoun use is singular or plural. Besides, I'm almost certain you'd still call it "tarmac" when in the States - just to confuse us yokels!
:D

That xtn guy does keep me on my toes!
:shift:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts