The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade from my base suspension and was considering either the LSS, the Nitron Sport Pro (sector 111) or the Ohlins 36mm (forcedfed). I want to upgrade to a suspension that will enhance the performance characteristics of the car but am not very knowledgeable about the various adjustsments to fine tune the suspension (which I worry I can possibly make the handling worse). Also, I am concerned about the potential rebuilds that may be necessary. I saw that it is recommended that the Ohlins be rebuilt every 2 years or 20,000 miles. Is this typical of an upgraded suspension and what could one expact the rebuild cost to be and who can do it? Also, has anyone heard how often the LSS or Nitron Sport Pro needs to be rebuilt. Sorry just trying to find out as much as I can before I purchase a suspension kit and later have regrets. Thanks to all who can help.

PS If anyone can clue me in as to what would need to be done such as alignment, cornering balancing etc and could explain and inform me who could do this for a lotus besides a dealer it would be greatly appreciated. I assume not many people now how to fine tune the setting for a lotus as they don't see them very often?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
LSS is cheap, effective and low maintenance. I made the switch and so should you.

Hell, it's gonna be $400 to $500. At the worst, it is a cheap mistake. If it isn't enough, turn around and sell it and buy your next choice.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get it used or new, and is there anything to look for when buying it used (miles to avoid, etc). Also, does it have to be corner balanced and aligned after install, and would you say you notice significant difference between the base suspension and the LSS?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
1) Did you get it used or new, and is there anything to look for when buying it used (miles to avoid, etc).
I bought the springs and shocks separately. I' wouldn't worry about mileage under 20k, if at all. Street shocks are pretty durable nowadays. I would recommend buying the springs and shocks as a unit, though.

2) Also, does it have to be corner balanced and aligned after install
No. Just put them on. Another advantage of getting LSS.

3) ...and would you say you notice significant difference between the base suspension and the LSS?
The difference is notable. The car suddenly became more fun. lol

As a side note, LSS wheels made a bigger difference. They are much lighter than stock wheels and really change the character of the car. I don't know what the LSS coilovers would feel like with Touring wheels, but I guess it would be worth doing.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input, its appreciated. I have the base wheels and also have a set of rotas. I think this might be a good starting point.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If you are thinking of going this root (used) buy a used Track Pack shock set up, and maybe an adjustable sway bar. To me the track pack is quite a bit better then the sports pack and may run you 200 to 300 more then a used sports pack set up. It can be about as soft as the base set up but without as much push or understeer. Or as stiff as you can handle. It has a simple single adjustment so there’s no getting confused. The track pack shocks are not as good as the other aftermarket shocks, not at all, but are to me worth it over the sport pack shocks.

And don’t under estimate getting an adjustable sway bar. It is EZ to use and after you find how you want it set you will never touch it again. But coming from the base set up the sway bat you have on there may be no good depending on how you wish the car to handle.

The track pack is a good beginner set up and keeps everything EZ. The Nitron’s are supposed to be better, and I believe it, but will cost you more. And even with sports pack, track pack, Nitron’s, what ever, you will need a new swaybar to get any of these shocks to work right. If I remember right the base swaybar is smaller then sport/track pack swaybar.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Tim Alert!!!

As a side note, LSS wheels made a bigger difference. They are much lighter than stock wheels and really change the character of the car. I don't know what the LSS coilovers would feel like with Touring wheels, but I guess it would be worth doing.
First time I've done this. Feels so good...

Let the thwacking begin: :thwack: :thwack: :thwack: :D

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
To me this is in the order of the shocks I would get. I have the Track pack and like it, and don’t feel the need to upgrade as of now. How ever only get the Track pack if it’s cheap, otherwise go for the Nitron’s.

Start with
Base less$ /Track pack .… to me this is how the car should come

Medium /Nitron … cost more but is better, still simple to use

High, Still good on the road /Lotus sport Ohlins….. may be the best choice for most people who are a bit more into it to vary into it.

Top the best most$ /Nitron race, Penske Racing, I think I’m missing one more. For vary in to it to the person trying to get every .01 second off their lap time.

If I were to move up from the Track Pack I would get the Lotus sport Ohlins or go all out $$$ and get the Penske’s

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Track Pack started in 06 and is not offered on the new base Elise. The front shocks have remote reservoirs the backs do not. The swaybar is adjustable, 5 spots or holes, is bigger (fatter) then the base swaybar, and I don’t know how in size it compairs to the Sport Pack swaybar.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if you were to recommend a reasonably priced suspension upgrade for someone like me, what would you suggest. Do you think the track pack is better than the LSS and worth the additional money, and does the track pack require corner balancing, alignment etc. PS I have an 05 elise if that matters. Also, is the nitron sport pro suspension that much of a step above both of those options? At this time I dont' think I'm ready for the 46mm ohlins based on cost and adjustability.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh yeah i almost forgot, do i need to update the sway bars if i update the suspension and what would you recommend. thanks

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Swaybar wise I only know of two to bother getting. The Track Pack one from Lotus and the one that Blackwatch racing sells. I don’t know how much Lotus sells its for but the Blackwatch one is probably better, EZer to get, and cheaper, so I would most likely get it. Whichever one you get be sure to get all the bushing too, the bushings on your car will not work with a new one. Different size.

You will need a new swaybar even if it’s the sports pack (LSS) one to get any new shock set up to work right. This one is not adjustable. So I wouldn’t bother with it.

To me the Track Pack shocks are good but in your position I would only get them if I found them for cheep. Maybe around 800$ or so max, if over 1,000$ don’t get them. Other wise I would get the Nitron single adjustment shocks. I have not used these myself but a few that have Track Pack cars have switched to these and find them much better all around (track/road) and still EZ to use. Sector has increased the spring rate some time ago and I have not heard how this affected road performance. But from what I have heard this is the cheapest ($ not quality) shock for the Elise that’s good.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My $0.02.

Based on your original post, I am guessing that your driving skills have not exceeded the ability of the base suspension (most owners fall into this category). Based on this, you probably will not get much benefit from the new set up. Upgrading the suspension for increased performance, when you have not reached the limit of the existing performance, is generally a waste of money.

Just like $500 Callaway drivers don't make you a better golfer, $3000 of suspension work will not make you a better driver. Riding my bone stock suspension CBR on the track, I pass sport bikes all the time that have shiney "ohlins" rear shocks.

I am not trying to be a di#k, I am trying to help you save money.

If you are dead set on upgrading, I agree with the recommendation to get a used track pack set up. It will not cost a lot and is a good street/track suspension for most drivers.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Not going to disagree with deddie because I do agree a bit, (here comes the “but”) but, to me any driver trying to get better, learn a bit more, progress a bit, needs a better/different set up then base stock. The base set up to me has way to much push/udersteer (you turn the wheel but still go straight) to really enjoy this car. The base set up is fine for the person that wants to enjoy a fun spirited drive but stay safe, and a bit comfy. Or isn’t that into high end driving but still enjoys the grate road feel (This is my opinion). The base setup is to keep the inexperienced from swapping ends and crashing, or wile crashing.

So depending on what/why/how far slvr05elise wants to go, what would be good or good $ wise.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Suspension rebuild?
I am looking to upgrade from my base suspension
Just to pick a nit...

You are talking about upgrading your springs and shocks, not rebuilding your suspension. Rebuilding the suspension would include replacing the various bushings in the A-arms, etc. :shrug:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree that the subject has deviated from from rebuilding a suspension and the frequency of the rebuild, but this thread has been helpful to me at least, and I have found that both the Nitrons and Ohlins are recommended for a rebuild every 2 years or 20k miles. What that means and what it costs I'm not sure yet, but I'm sure someone will chime in on it eventually.

Back to the bang for the buck, what would be better, the LSS or the Track Pack suspension? Also, is the Nitron suspension far superior to both.

I've seen the Nitron vs Ohlin debate, but what really is the more durable, reliable, and performance enhancing suspension (speaking of the 36mm ohlins)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts