The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this over on the Fly and thought I'd post this up and get your impressions. It definitely makes some assumptions, but perhaps if you bought a double adjustable suspension and don't know what to do, it might help. :)

- J

PS: Attachments seem to be disabled at the moment?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
hpman said:
very nice. where can i print this? thanks:shift:
If you meant how can you print this, right-click on one of the charts, select copy, open Word (or OpenOffice, or WordPad), right-click and select paste, then print. Do the same for the other chart.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The flowchart was found on Roadfly, originally published in "Competition Car Suspension" and written by Greg Simmons of Spa Design/Penske.

I find some things interesting, like the suggestion to stiffen the front sway bar to reduce mid corner understeer. Wonder if some of the suggestions would actually produce the opposite result on the Elise.

In any case, I await the suggestions of the experts!

- J

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Vantage said:
The flowchart was found on Roadfly, originally published in "Competition Car Suspension" and written by Greg Simmons of Spa Design/Penske.

I find some things interesting, like the suggestion to stiffen the front sway bar to reduce mid corner understeer. Wonder if some of the suggestions would actually produce the opposite result on the Elise.

In any case, I await the suggestions of the experts!

- J
Thanks, Justin. Good info.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...on second though, I suppose it depends on your judgement call whether the car is rolling excessively.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I agree with Vantage, some of the recommendations seem backwards, particularly the shock rebound adjustments. I'd guess that the bit in the BMW chart about stiffening the front swaybar to reduce understeer has something to do with the lousy camber compensation of the MacPherson strut suspension that is used on their cars. I've noticed that the Penske shock manual says more or less the same thing regarding the shock adjustments though. I wonder if it's due to some peculiarity of the cars they primarily deal with?

I know on my S2000 that if I want more lift-throttle oversteer, I stiffen the rear (low speed) rebound. It makes the car turn in like a champ. I'm using Penske shocks, too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts