The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Turbo Elise
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So question. When I got my Elise the suspension really was not too noisy for a 16yr old car with 43k on the ticker. I added coilers and lowered it some and not is sounds like a squeaky bed. Is there a recommended spray lube people use on their Elise? I was thinking like a Prestone silicon spray for the pivot points , arm bushings etc....

I am all ears ;)

·
Less is Better
3,328 Posts
What kind of noise? Generally speaking on a stock suspension there isn't really much to lubricate. The bushings are rubber and the ball joints are sealed. Do you know what's making noise? It sounds like all was fine before the coil-overs so that might be the first thing to look at. What joints are used in your shocks? Some tend to just be noisy.

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
Also check all of your a arm bushings that they aren't backing off. How many miles?

·
Registered
2005 Turbo Elise
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
43k...what do you mean backing off? Interesting thing is it was not noisy before I lowered it so that is why I thought it might have been the change of position. And to @me73 question the coils are BC Racing.... not sure what the joints are made of.
White Light Automotive tire Camera accessory Automotive lighting

Audio equipment Font Gas Coil spring Auto part

·
Less is Better
3,328 Posts
The suspension arm bushings can get pushed out of the arms and cause a squeaking noise. When you lower the car, you should re-set the suspension bushings so they are not stressed when the car is sitting at ride height.

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
a arm bushings shouldn't look like this

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door Gas Tints and shades

shock eyes shouldn't look like this
Automotive lighting Gas Automotive tire Tints and shades Personal protective equipment

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Turbo Elise
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The suspension arm bushings can get pushed out of the arms and cause a squeaking noise. When you lower the car, you should re-set the suspension bushings so they are not stressed when the car is sitting at ride height.
What is the procedure for this on these cars?

·
Registered
2005 Turbo Elise
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Replace with new from Lotus or one of the many Lotus parts vendors. This is the tool that makes the job fairly easy.

Ok...I had miss-understood the comment. I thought there might have been a procedure of un-torquing certain suspension points to unload them then re-torque it at the new strut length. I am not "refreshing" my suspension points as of yet. t was silent prior to installing the shorter struts now is is making noise. I am beginning to think it might be the poly end serts BC Racing uses.

·
Less is Better
3,328 Posts
Ok...I had miss-understood the comment. I thought there might have been a procedure of un-torquing certain suspension points to unload them then re-torque it at the new strut length. I am not "refreshing" my suspension points as of yet. t was silent prior to installing the shorter struts now is is making noise. I am beginning to think it might be the poly end serts BC Racing uses.
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. For resetting the bushings, yes, just loosen and retorque the bolts with the car sitting at ride height.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts