The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm gong to put my name on the waiting list once i sell my current car and was wondering which dealer i should go to. Heard good things about SVAG, but nothing about BMCD. Anyone have any experiences with BMCD?

I'm in Sacramento so they're both about a 2 hour drive for me.

Maybe I should put my name on both of their lists? (I'm not in too much of hurry, planning on spending the waiting time to save up for the car, but I do want the car).

Anyone know how big the list is on either of them?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Welcome to Etalk Tony.

Going by the delay in delivery, if you sell your car before you get on a list, you'd be without a car for about 2 years.

There's still time for you to head on down to Foster City about noon to meet up with over a dozen etalkers and about 8 Elises. I'm sure they could answer your questions and suggest new ones you've not thought of yet. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
And Tony, if you should get one, let me know. I'm in Sac as well, and NEED to see one in action... :)
 

·
insert clever title here
Joined
·
7,702 Posts
Don't forget, there's also Boardwalk in Redwood City. Last I heard, they are still charging more than MSRP and have a very low allocation - but a shorter list, too.

I think SVAG's list is well over 150 by now. They've earned a good reputation on this list and sell the cars at MSRP, hence the long line. I talked to the GM about the list, and he felt confident the waiting time would be about a year. While this doesn't make sense when you look at their allocation to date, what we've heard elsewhere is that Lotus set the allocation for the first few months only, so beyond that, who knows. If SVAG can concince Lotus their deposits are genuine and not just list padding, they just might get all the cars they need.

I don't know much of BMCD. I'm under the impression they charge more than MSRP and have a shorter list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
I walked into British Motor Cars on Van Ness last month. If memory serves, the list is now an estimated year-long wait. They were once offering test drives to existing deposit holders, but now they don't even do that. And they were selling a few cars at $10,000 premiums, but it was unclear if that was the standard upcharge. Nice folks there, but I just don't see any reason to get on their list. Seriously, if I wasn't on a list at this point, and I really wanted the car, I'd probably buy one of the nationally available cars for a $5,000 upcharge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a honda accord that i'm going to be driving around while i wait for the car. I dont mind waiting till 2007 as long as i get one.

So far it sounds like i'm just going to put my name on SVAG for sure and maybe redwood city?

How much over msrp is redwood city selling theirs for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,970 Posts
JediMindGamez said:
I have a honda accord that i'm going to be driving around while i wait for the car. I dont mind waiting till 2007 as long as i get one.

So far it sounds like i'm just going to put my name on SVAG for sure and maybe redwood city?

How much over msrp is redwood city selling theirs for?
A year from now there is a good chance no dealer will be able to sell above MSRP. Also consider that if you wait until 2007, you don't know what that car will be. The Federal exemptions on the Elise run only through 2006. It's possible they could get an extension to 2007, but who knows?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
MattG said:
Don't forget, there's also Boardwalk in Redwood City. Last I heard, they are still charging more than MSRP and have a very low allocation - but a shorter list, too.
Boardwalk is currently charging (sit down for this) $20,000 over sticker for cars on the lot.

So, if anyone is in the market for a $70k Elise, now you know where to shop. I wonder if anyone is buying them at that price. That's almost as much as the Barrett-Jackson Elise.

- John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,577 Posts
suv_bait said:
Boardwalk is currently charging (sit down for this) $20,000 over sticker for cars on the lot.

So, if anyone is in the market for a $70k Elise, now you know where to shop. I wonder if anyone is buying them at that price. That's almost as much as the Barrett-Jackson Elise.

- John
Are you sure you heard right? $20k markup on a ~$40k car? There are cars available at near MSRP for people not on lists, why would anyone even consider paying that ridiculous bounty?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
NMRJock said:
Are you sure you heard right? $20k markup on a ~$40k car? There are cars available at near MSRP for people not on lists, why would anyone even consider paying that ridiculous bounty?
I saw it with my own two eyes... the "sticker" price taped to the window was $68k (real sticker price, $48k). The other 2 they had didn't have a price listed.

Why would someone pay this? I have no clue. Because they don't know better. Because the dealer told them it was worth this much. Because this dealership is right on highway 101 and some internet yahoo stops in on his way home from work looking to spend his vested stock options on an impulse buy.

You would be amazed what dealers have the gall to ask for on all sorts of cars. I was shopping around for a Mitsubishi Evo a few months ago and every dealer I visited had them marked up to as much as $10k over sticker. I offered $400 over invoice and they accepted :).

- John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
Welcome, fellow Sacramentan!

Neither BMCD or SVAG treated us well; although I'm disappointed in SVAG more. Given a choice, Symbolic in La Jolla was better to us than either, so if I were to buy, I'd go there. For service, I dunno; I think I'd go to BMCD; it's a bit closer, I'd get to spend the day(s) in SF, and they were nicer to us. Overall, I'd choose BMCD.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top