The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How'd the rest of the race go? I was only there a short time in the morning, sure was getting hot and I left before noon.

How many runs did you guys get on Saturday?

Did the mangler make it out?

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

·
Registered
58 Posts
Saturday's practice was the same format as the National Test 'n Tune days. You would work only your work group, then you could run all day long. Fortunately, I got my work done in the first group. So I had the rest of the day running. I counted a total of 21 time slips (2 of them were Ken Motonishi driving my car) when I got home that night. I could've gotten another 8 or so runs if I stayed for the last work group.

As for yesterday, there was a short delay due to a loose wheel in a Mini in the 4th group. I don't exactly know what happened, but Darryl and David can probably give you more details since they were at the scene. The car later got re-tech'ed and ran his last 2 runs.

Robert won STX......again. :mad: He finished with a 65.8xx while my best run was a 66.133 and got beat by Rick Brown by only .021 sec. :mad: For STS, Will won again but this time he was in David's Protege. He won by almost a full second (I think). David came in 2nd, followed closely by Gunnar. I don't know where Art stands, but he said he might be out of a trophy spot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
vwong said:
As for yesterday, there was a short delay due to a loose wheel in a Mini in the 4th group. I don't exactly know what happened, but Darryl and David can probably give you more details since they were at the scene. The car later got re-tech'ed and ran his last 2 runs.
Yeah, that was just before my first run. What I heard (secondhand) was that the Mini had spacers and aftermarket wheels. The spacer was of an apparently poor (homemade?) design that relied on small screws in aluminum, which (believe it or not) came out during cornering. It looked like the wheel tore some trim off the fender, but the wheel and fender itself looked OK. He probably got a little lucky.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ran on Saturday only and as Vincent said we got a lot of runs in. I thought the format worked very well. I'm not sure some of the Mustang guys enjoyed getting beat by a GTI with a bike rack on top.:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was there too :)

Woke up late, got there late. Did the course walk, then preped and teched my car. Ran out of time to take the spare out and set the pressures before the group started, so ran the pressures as is. First run I got off line and hit some gravel and pushed all the way to the cones and took out 5 :D Then in the second half got sideways in one of the sweepers, but saved it and didn't hit any cones. Next run, took it a bit smoother, and braked earlier, where I pushed off on my first run. Third run was going good until I hit a cone coming out of the last 90° left to the finish :(

Went out to work in the sun, then headed home cause I was starving, sweaty, and tired :( I went by the tent to BS with you guys, but you were all running, I'll catch you next time...

·
Registered
132 Posts
it didn't look like a spacer, and i recall the question being posed and the driver said no. The backing of the wheel itself twisted apart...as best as i could see, i was on the radio. The inside of the wheel looked like it was a twisting effect. The small trim popped off and the hood was a bit off line, but other than that, it was fine. The lugs where still attached to the rotor with the wheel's backing.

I had an interesting first run (+7) i just carried too much speed and ended up in a short 4 wheel drift, i feathered it to help from slidding, but i was already offline and in the slippery stuff...70.2xx raw. Although i gained on the mangler list :) 2nd run was better, but i was too cautious but still grabbed the last cone by the finish, 70.5xx raw time. 3rd run was do or die and discouvered i could stay on it through the big loop...took it wide, but slowed up a bit early for the pinch...69.3xx clean. Which eeked Art by 2/10ths...with his 69.5xx. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
mph814 said:

Yeah, that was just before my first run. What I heard (secondhand) was that the Mini had spacers and aftermarket wheels. The spacer was of an apparently poor (homemade?) design that relied on small screws in aluminum, which (believe it or not) came out during cornering. It looked like the wheel tore some trim off the fender, but the wheel and fender itself looked OK. He probably got a little lucky.
Since I got to fill out the incident report, and talked with Mr. Safety (Hempy) about it...I can fill in some of the details.

The wheels were labelled as Litespeed (IIRC). The spacers were bolted to the inside of the wheels and rather than attach the wheels to the spacers with lugs (like H&R does), they were held on with small cap screws, which were totally inadequate to the jobs of holding a wheel on the car.

I'm pretty sure that these wheels will be added to the "Do not allow" in SCCA events.

I guess the manufacturer figured it was cheaper to produce one wheel offset and then use the spacers to adapt them to the various cars. And welding them would preclude their use on other cars.

·
Registered
171 Posts
As you have now heard...I had a GREAT DAY (67.739)! just .02 behind David! But that is enough about that.

Jayson, it was super Hot after you left, around 106F. With that Mini breaking down on the STS work group, we were out there over 2 hrs. Thought at one point i might just pass out from the heat. Glad I had the radio possition to keep my mind moving.

David, I would like to publicly thank you for your efforts on getting me home. That was very kind of you to wait around for my Slow going truck. I would try to keep up and then you would slow down. Thanks. Hey did you see me almost run that CHP of the road! That was some funny Sh*t! She came flying up (around 80mph) in the slow lane, just as I was signaling, and drifting into that lane. I first looked and it was empty, so i started to go and looked again and there she was, trying to fly past me. She slammed on her brakes and swerved for the emergency lane. Then pulled up to me...looked at me like "I" was the A**hole. the drove away very fast.

Well that was fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts