The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been viewing this forum for some time now.
Reason has been to see Rotrex installations. GGelise install is outstanding.
Well a nit about my car.
Its a 1999 SW20 the last sold in Australia. It had the normal 3SGE engine in it, which was great, but alas i found out about the limited run Toyota did with an engine code named BEAMS.
Well it is a vvti engine with 200 horses stock.
I built a brand new engine with Toyota spare parts and in the process stripped the car back to metal. Coated it with PPG 2 pac grigio alloy ( ferrari code - light metalic blue ) and mercedes benz ceramic clear coat.
The whole car has new everything, well im a bit of a nutter over 3,000 pieces .
Now here i am . wanting more power , just a touch really . Turbo was a no go for me . The Rotrex looks like it would give me what i want.
So ive nearly finished my custom installation.
Will post pics if you like.
All piping was made from cast aluminium. I made the moulds.
All that i had to do was relocate the alternator which was easy as i used a Celica bracket.
So custom pipes , brackets etc
a/w intercooler barrel with radiator up front
550 cc injectors , 255 fuel pump
Setrab oil cooler with fan
OEM oil catch can
MoTec M800 with knock sensor module and VVTi controller
and a hell a lot of other things.
BUT just befor i was going install i had another thought.
Strenghten it so here we go again.
New block, torque plated and honed, forged pistons SPS AND Forged Rods ARGO.
Compression of the std engine was 11:1 , the new one is 9.5:1 .
Fear of the week rods and high compression is why i did it.
As far as i know i would be the first to Rotrex a 3SGE engine

·
Registered
346 Posts
Awesome! Like you look at every Rotrex setup:p!

Please post up everything. Casting of the aluminum etc. This is so well thought out-several of your items we are looking to adopt. Man you are not pulling punches that is a Big-time build!

Subscribed and looking forward to seeing all the good stuff. Love this sort of thing as it is a great opportunity to learn.

:up:

·
Registered
438 Posts
he's got photo's on Spyderchat somewhere if i can find them for you before he posts them....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok lets start.
The car MR2 SW20 with a brand new limited edition engine.
3SGE N/A VVTi 200 horse at the flywheel 210 torque. Iron block.Velocity stacks , isolated to prevent heat soak and individual coils

Well a lot of thought first went into it.Location, A/W setup,fuel,injectors,cabling,custom parts,ECU etc
Toyota shared this engine with the Celica. Essentially the same with few differences mainly the location of the alternator.
The MR2 is low on the cold side of the engine , inlet manifold side, whereas the Celica high on the exhaust side.
Well this gave me a great place to add the Rotrex.Also i could just relocate the alternator using OEM fittings , brackets and pullies :)
Location set , next design the Rotrex bracket.
CAD , good machine shop with a 5 axis CNC.
Starting with a piece of billet aluminium block measuring 16 X 14 X 14 INCHES the bracket was formed to hold the Rotrex and the tensioning system.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The layout and all necessary items required were first mapped out. It was very important to me that it remained as a stock Appearance .
NO BLING FACTOR AT ALL.
the Rotrex under the inlet manifold was an excellent place. Well hiden and once powder coated black would be hard to see even with a trained eye.
When deciding what pipe work to contruct out of well i went a bit left field. I chose to make my own pipe moulds and have them sand cast.
This allowed me to navigate around the engine and pipe work as any OEM would do.
To have moulds professionally made would cost a small fortune !
However having worked with 2 pak urethanes all my life it was simple. Being a Resin Chemist also helps :)
One the moulds were made and sand cast each item was hand finished and then the ends were CNC'd to accept hose fittings..
Then they were powder coated with a wrinkle flat black finish for the OEM look.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Awesome job...keep the pic's rolling. I cheated and went over and read about your build. Fantastic all the quality fabrication and result. Describe what she is like on the road. Great job man!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you :)

Oh i should point out that for the build im using a spare engine.
The Rotrex will be installed on a new engine.
Forged internals and every part > 900 are all new.
Spare parts at Toyota hate me :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Showing my fuel rail. Its made up of different parts of Toyota engines.
Fuel rail Altezza, because of the extra port so as to add a fuel pressure sender to my MoTec 800
Dampener from the Caldina.
Regulator from a GEN 3 MR2 TURBO and also the exit hose which tee's to my brake line which supplies vacuum to my GEN 3 TURBO BOV.
Alezza fuel injectors 550 cc .
The adapter for the fuel pressure sender had to be offset so as to clear a plastic conduit which house the loom for the injectors and the individual packed coils

·
Registered
346 Posts
looking good Angelo.

Not a real common problem but a few of the Rotrex units mounted under the engines have sheered the traction fluid nipple from the unit due to road debris (of course this causes the unit to size.) The problems were on the "Honda Fit kits" sold by Kraftwerks so, the problem may be specific to this instillation and not be an issue-mention it to be on the safe side.

Do you have a map / doing your own tuning?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Respect.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
looking good Angelo.

Not a real common problem but a few of the Rotrex units mounted under the engines have sheered the traction fluid nipple from the unit due to road debris (of course this causes the unit to size.) The problems were on the "Honda Fit kits" sold by Kraftwerks so, the problem may be specific to this instillation and not be an issue-mention it to be on the safe side.

Do you have a map / doing your own tuning?
Thanks for the information.
Im going to run MAP. Its all MoTec . M800 , cam control , Knock sensor , MDD , wide band O2 sensor.
Nah someone will do the tunning, not up to it.
MoTec recommendation plus im very lucky MoTec head office is about one mile from me. So the product support will be no worries......
Yes i know a lot of people will say way too expensive and other units will be able to do the trick but i just cant pass on MoTec

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well i had a good hard look at the piping i did for the OEM catch can and it just didnt have an OEM look. Im my worst critic
After looking all around the world to get a custom hose made you wouldnt believe it that a very large company that supplies OEM hoses, engine mount etc are literally around the corner 3 kms away !
So i went to vist them with a drawing and now i have it.
Just waiting for the other piece.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts