The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wise LotusTalkers, oh what oh what should I do? There's a local Exige S for sale that's tempting me.

Should I swap my Elise for an Exige S?

Same color and everything, local car. Car has 14k on it (about the same as my Elise), has been to the track (I've met the guy at Sears Point a couple times.) Tasteful, trackday type of mods on it.

When I bought my Elise, I was looking for something semi-versatile (as much as a Lotus can be). Track days, top off cruising around, going on dates with my wife, driving to work every once in awhile. It's not my primary car.

Now I'm using the Elise primarily at trackdays. I've done a handful (~8) of them in it now and am still nowhere near it's limits, but it does feel a little "underpowered". I absolutely love the car though and think I might like it even more with some extra power. I almost never drive the Elise on the street anymore since I need to drop off/pickup my son everyday on my way to/from work now.

Thoughts? Opinions? I think ballpark market on my Elise is about $28-30k, they're asking $46k for the Exige S (2007 model.)

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I bought an Exige S because I knew I wouldn't be satisfied with an Elise. Just me. Only you know if you "need" the Exige.

San

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Obviously I'm biased, but go drive it. :D Once you open it up, all will become clear!
190 peaky hp vs 265 hp with a far more linear response will amaze you. And going from an 05 to an 07 is a large jump as well on several levels, it will be obvious even down to the pedals and shifter. Exige seats are far more comfortable as well!

Honestly I'd love for the car to stay local and to get used as intended. That takes the pain of selling it down a notch or two at least.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr. Know. I'm going to head by there on Saturday. I assume they know the details, but if I have questions do you mind if I call or PM you?

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
190 peaky hp vs 265 hp with a far more linear response will amaze you. And going from an 05 to an 07 is a large jump as well on several levels, it will be obvious even down to the pedals and shifter. Exige seats are far more comfortable as well!
Exige S is 227hp. Not sure where you're getting the 265hp. NA Elise/Exige is 195hp according to everything I've read.

San

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Mr. Know. I'm going to head by there on Saturday. I assume they know the details, but if I have questions do you mind if I call or PM you?
Wouldn't mind at all.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Gotham ECU
281rwhp, Blade 300.

You implied that going from an Elise to an Exige S was going to be 190hp vs. 265hp. Might as well say an Exige S makes 400+hp (with a REV400 TVS). The devil is in the details.

San

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
281rwhp, Blade 300.

You implied that going from an Elise to an Exige S was going to be 190hp vs. 265hp. Might as well say an Exige S makes 400+hp (with a REV400 TVS). The devil is in the details.

San
I said his car (190 hp) to my car (265 hp) will amaze him. Sorry if it wasn't obvious it's my car we are discussing. :up:

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I said his car (190 hp) to my car (265 hp) will amaze him. Sorry if it wasn't obvious it's my car we are discussing. :up:
There wasn't anything pointing to a comparison between his car and yours specifically. Even less to say your car wasn't a stock 2007 Exige S. No biggie.

San

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
for that money BOE will bring your Elise to 340 bhp/305 whp by installing a REV.. Including labor.
You will win alot if you can keep it on the track.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Like Komiko said, spend 10-15k with BoE and you will have a monster that will make the Exige look slow. I had the same predicament and decided to go the BoE route and it was the right decision.

·
Registered
988 Posts
yeah was going to say as well, for 15k you can bring the Elise up to and pass the Exige.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Outside of California BOE might be the right decision, but with CA's biannual emissions testing, I'd take a factory, intercooled solution.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Moving to an Exige is a wise move

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Exige > Elise but BoE Elise > Stock Exige S. Unless of course like it has been mentioned about emissions in CA. And bring a stock Exige S up to the line or try to keep up with a BoE Rev400 Elise and you will see how you can make an Exige look slow real fast.

The only other reason to buy the Exige S is the resell value, A modded Elise will not normally resell or hold value like a clean Exige S will. Or I guess financing, you need financing much easier to get on Exige S then upgrades for Elise.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I made the move, for me it was about economics.

It cost me 15k + my elise to get an exige s. my exige had the supercharger, better suspension, LSD, and a few other niceties I wanted. I could have spent 6-7k on my elise and gotten the same or better in mods, but I would have a 2 year older car that is worth at least 10 k less.

I do miss the rear visibility though

·
Registered
606 Posts
I went from a stock 2006 Elise to a 2008 S240. Power wise, it was a HUGE difference. Night and day. The supercharger whine is addicting.

I have to say, I do miss the Elise at times. It was MUCH more practical for street driving/cruising/errands/appointments, even though it was 90% a weekend car. The rear visibility made a big difference. As a cruiser/canyon driver, the Elise was great. Very nimble, just enough power to make it a lot of fun. Driving in 2nd cam was a blast. The Exige is fast as sh!t but certain aspects of the car make it more difficult to drive around town. For this reason, I pretty much only drive it during the weekends when I know there won't be traffic and I know where I can park.

As a track car, I'd say you can make your Elise quicker than the Exige for less money. However, if you love the styling...go Exige. You won't regret it. IMO, the Exige styling can't be beat.

Graham

1 - 20 of 26 Posts