The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's how I feel now after taking delivery and a three hour drive home, sweaty and deaf. Stage II sounded awesome. The sun was relentless. I had forgotten how hot a targa can be. I didn't even think to ask how to read the fuel gauge. So I filled it up; until I get used to how much is being used as each bar disappears. Blind spots will take some time to get used to. I figured if I passed everyone that would not be an issue. I knew the car would handle well and have owned a bunch of great handling cars, but what I found remarkable was the superb road feel and connectivity without the suspension rattling you to death. Anyway, as most new owners have already stated, it's a unique and fun car to drive. A brief shower arose so I pulled under a bridge and quickly threw on the top. Four people took pics/movies as I rolled by, couple of honks and of course the tuners wanted to race. I bought the car from the marketplace here on the forum; proof that this forum is not just a wealth of information but the full ownership experience. Thanks for all the advice and will post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Very cool story congratulations and welcome to the lucky few that really seem to get it. Looking forward to the pics.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm glad to see you drove it home instead of having it shipped. :nanner:

As for the blind spots, get yourself some multivex mirrors. It will take about a week to get used to them but you will wonder how you ever got by without them.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
BUY EARPLUGS.

...seriously, you can do real damage to your hearing on extended drives in these cars - they're easily stored in the passenger cubby...

...i usually keep a driving cap thrown over my gearshift as well, for those times when the sun or wind prove too severe...

·
Registered
274 Posts
BUY EARPLUGS.

...seriously, you can do real damage to your hearing on extended drives in these cars - they're easily stored in the passenger cubby...

...i usually keep a driving cap thrown over my gearshift as well, for those times when the sun or wind prove too severe...
you mean an Elise is so loud that you have to have earplugs???

i've heard the Elise is a little more noisy with the engine right behind the driver, but nobody ever said anything to make me think it was that bad!!!

M

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Depends on the exhaust, the stage 2 was intolerable to me.
Michael
you mean an Elise is so loud that you have to have earplugs???

i've heard the Elise is a little more noisy with the engine right behind the driver, but nobody ever said anything to make me think it was that bad!!!

M

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Yeah, I knew that, but I think I screwed the pooch between all of the clubs and concerts I've attended in my formative years. :eek: Of course, that doesn't include the 134dB system (sound quality before volume was paramount however, IMO) I had in my MX3 back in the day or my home theater systems (yes, systems) capable of >117dB. (Of course, I probably need those now!) :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
more thoughts

I never thought of ear damage before. I really love the sound. One of the most common characteristics that owners say of their Ferrari is the sound and how unique and visceral it is. I can say that the Lotus sound is very unique as well. I don't know if the stock exhaust provides the same singular resonance but the Stage II certainly does. I only listen to the radio is my cars for news, traffic, weather etc. I really enjoy listening for some reason. I took the car to the beach today and it got lots of attention. I am starting to find my sweet spot in the seat where I don't get sore. This car is EXTREMELY easy to shift. I had forgotten how smooth and simple these transmissions are. The car is so low that some people have not seen me and try to come over. I appreciate the daytime running lamps now. I am finding myself checking gears a lot; the Ferrari's first gear starts down, so it's a reverse H pattern, the Mustang is a 5 speed and the Lotus is 6.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Happy to hear you are enjoying it! I always called the Elise a gocart and it truly is.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I appreciate the daytime running lamps now.
Welcome aboard.

I disabled my DRLs but during the day I'll run my parking lamps (LEDs on the front) instead which includes the tail lights for rear visibility as well as fronts. Its good to make yourself visible in these small cars.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
One of our resident doctors (RoadDad) has empirical data that shows even a short drive in a stock Elise can damage your hearing :crazyeyes

I also keep ear plugs in the car if I'm going to drive a long distance in the car.

*edit*

Found it: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/728250-post72.html
Are you serious? Wow. I've been wondering about this for a long time.

I had a single tip Arqay on my first Exige and toned it down a little bit on my S with a tubular. Probably a good thing.

However, I too see to many rock shows.

Love to see more data if you have a link.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
search hearing loss. For example, if its like a 100dB only 5 minutes exposure you start to damage your hearing. Not sure what the breakdown is, but the louder the sound is the less time you have until you permanently damage your ears. That's why I always drove with earplugs. Now with new exhaust I don't have to but maybe I should...at least on the longer drives. I'm sure I've damaged my hearing going to a few concerts and not using earplugs. I remember at the start they were so loud my ears would hurt.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
chart... So basically the guy's car showing 107dB he should only be driving the car 3 minutes until he starts to lose his hearing unless he uses hearing protection.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
So what exhaust does Icedog have?

Ara - what are you running now - didn't know you changed.

What? Say that again :).

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i've never used an SPL meter, but i can attest that even with a stock exhaust and touring insulation, a naturally-aspirated elise is more than loud enough to damage one's hearing - i made the mistake of running my first couple of four-to-five-hour spirited drives without earplugs and suffered permanent hearing damage which burdens me to this day...

...hearing loss in these cars is a very real issue, not to be taken lightly...

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
So what exhaust does Icedog have?

Ara - what are you running now - didn't know you changed.

What? Say that again :).
I had a Stage 2 with a Larini decat when that reading was taken. Stage 2 by itself was about 104dBA, IIRC.

Regarding the chart shay2nak posted, that means that you have 1:16 with a stock exhaust (Car and Driver got a reading of 93dB at WOT).

Like I said, I already know my hearing's screwed; I don't need a chart. (I also forgot to mention earlier the five years I worked at Circuit City in the car audio department :eek:) I'll probably be a preferred customer at Miracle Ear and I should probably get stock in the company that makes Whisper 2000. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't care...

I put great sounding exhausts on every car I own just because I love the sounds. Don't care about a little damage to my ears as my family history includes heart disease and cancer. I suffer through healthy eating and screenings, but leave a little pleasure for myself. Of course, if this forum were a party line, I wouldn't hear most of the jokes....
After a few more days of ownership, the car is more fun than expected. I have a new way of getting in which helps. I have to keep an eye on my skirts though. I don't want the infamous paparazzi shot taken on some kids cell phone.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Im screwed then, i was in an exige for 2 hours, with a 2ubular GT3 exhaust kit, 6" bore solid stopping starting, high revs all that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts