The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Comment...

Looks great! Graphy is missing the torque figures on the right axis? Horse power curve is crossing the torque curve at 7000RPM. The torque curve should be shifted down about 2.5 rows. Still looks great!

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
LastToy said:
Horse power curve is crossing the torque curve at 7000RPM. The torque curve should be shifted down about 2.5 rows.
Wouldn't that be a function of units? Since this is not in lb-ft, it would be shifted in the units...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes you are right...

since it's trying to utilize one axis to show both hp and nm. Just commenting the curves themselves look little misleading... the torque curve Looks great though. I'll take ~170lb/ft at such low revs anyday. :)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
It looks correct if you convert the units. Reading the values from the stock curves at 5250 rpm, it shows slightly less than 150 Nm of torque. That's 110 lb-ft. 110 HP converts to 112 PS, which is in the range of the value in the chart.

Or as a different calculation, in HP and lb-ft units we have:

HP = lb/ft * RPM / 5250

Using the conversion factors:

1 PS = .99 HP
1 Nm = .74 lb-ft

We get in PS and Nm units:

PS = Nm * RPM / 7024

·
Registered
363 Posts
mact3333 said:
so the torque is roughly 185ft-lb?...what is the HP conversion?...at the wheel or crank?
263 PS = 259.4 Hp

I'd assume it's at the crank, since the original value was 192 PS

This would work out to about 220 Hp to the wheels, not very impressive. Although, I do like the way superchargers on the 2zz appear to make nice linear power throughout the whole rev range.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I wonder what kind of SC they are using? Also, it seems intersting that the supercharger is under the Exige not the Elise, I hope this doesn't mean that it requires more room than the trunk of the Elise can accomodate.

I hope the price is reasonable too. Exhausts and shift knobs only to mention a few, but prices for our little cars keep getting higher for everything. I would be interested if I could actually read more of the website too - like any of it... :wallbang:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Mean TT said:
I wonder what kind of SC they are using? Also, it seems intersting that the supercharger is under the Exige not the Elise, I hope this doesn't mean that it requires more room than the trunk of the Elise can accomodate.

I hope the price is reasonable too. Exhausts and shift knobs only to mention a few, but prices for our little cars keep getting higher for everything. I would be interested if I could actually read more of the website too - like any of it... :wallbang:
The supercharger package may only be listed under the Exige section of the website, but the heading indicates it is for the Elise and Exige.

I am going to guess that they are using an Eaton type supercharger from Magnuson products, specifically the MP62. I would be curious to see how they got it to fit. I think something would have to go, like the air conditioning compressor.

As you can see from the photo, it looks like the superchager package was created by Bemani.

While the Lotus Elise or Exige may not be listed on the Bemani home page, they do have a number of similar displacement packages all using the MP62.

http://www.bemani.ch/
http://bemani.ch/english/bemani_1_en.htm

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/
http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/superchargers/index.asp

The Bemani prices for supercharger packages are listed in Swiss Francs (CHF) and range between 8,000 and 10,000 (CHF) ... That equates to 6,500 to 8,500 (USD).

·
Registered
49 Posts
From experience with my own road cars I think an Elise with either a Rotrex or Autorotor SC is the was to go. A water to air charge cooler will give you shorter inlet tracks, be more efficient and take far longer to heat soak. And the power delivery is so nice, precise and linear. And it can be CARB certified.

Get's my vote. A finesse car like an Elise deserves and SC. Leave the turbos to the 3200lb sport compact crowd.

·
Registered
677 Posts
espritGT3 said:
From experience with my own road cars I think an Elise with either a Rotrex or Autorotor SC is the was to go. A water to air charge cooler will give you shorter inlet tracks, be more efficient and take far longer to heat soak. And the power delivery is so nice, precise and linear. And it can be CARB certified.

Get's my vote. A finesse car like an Elise deserves and SC.
Exactly! Both the Autorotor and Rotrex will fit without much modification, and, both would benefit from a air-to-water charge cooler. The best position for a supercharger is where the air conditioning compressor is located. The a/c could either be removed or relocated to the hot side underneath the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
i said from day one s/c is the way to go.....
but im not really interested in getting a custom kit from a foriegn source. what if u have problems? u cant just jump in ur car and drive there...or get towed there for that matter.
for any kind of exotic work, find someone local.
im gonna wait and see if in fact lotus releases anything. of course that would be the easiest route.
if not, my tuner shop is VERY interested in doing a turbo kit for me.

if u guys are happy with forcedfed, then they are getting distributors all over. at least if u have any issue u can get in ur car and drive there....(the distributor who installed it at least) and forcedfed is in the u.s. and im sure they wouldnt just hang u out to dry hoping that ull go away.
ive seen this when people buy stuff like this from europe. they KNOW ur not gonna show up at their shop.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That blower used by Bemani in Switzerland only makes max 0,5 bar of boost. :confused:

Question for the experts : Is it possible that these o,5 bar make such difference in torque -/ power- output as shown in the above diagram?

I would like to ask my old pen pall Corky Bell.

BTW: He did not like Roots type of blowers as offered by Sebring for the Miata :D

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ruediger said:
Question for the experts : Is it possible that these o,5 bar make such difference in torque -/ power- output as shown in the above diagram?
.5bar = 1/2 atmosphere at sea level = 50% more air into the motor at sea level. So, yes, you should see very significant gains.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK let’s hope that we will be able to compare the above diagram made by using an engine dyno with same type of diagram of a turbo charged Toyota engine were max boost is also half atmosphere (1bar=14,5037psi = 100000 Pascal=0,9869 atm; Pound per Square Inch)

I fell that it will look very similar despite the turbo lack.

Turbo chargers also have some pros. For me the main is that they sound better and that they do not need a belt.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ruediger said:
Turbo chargers also have some pros. For me the main is that they sound better and that they do not need a belt.
That may depend on your age, I much prefer the howl of a supercharger to the whine of a turbo
:rolleyes:

Speaking of which, at the track this weekend there was one of the newer Cobras with the factory eaton supercharger and factory exhaust. It sounded almost unworldly as it blasted down the main straight, very hard to describe the sound.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.