The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody replaced their switch pack module and for what reason?
My headlights are both out and I believe the switch pack is at fault.
-Robert

PROBLEM SOLVED: It was my mistake. I had some wires mixed up.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I had a problem with my switchpack on my 05 Elise. Heard it was pretty common and an absolute PITA to replace. It controls a lot of things too, so a bad one can present with numerous symptoms.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Seemingly, although the Switch Pack Module is shown as being 6 relays, it does in fact incorportate soild state electronics. An interesting point is that if you look at wiring diagram #7 the high beam headlights are not depicted as being controlled by the headlight switch and we all know they are.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I thought the high-beams were controlled by the column-mounted switch (blinkers). No?

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
I thought the high-beams were controlled by the column-mounted switch (blinkers). No?
Yes they are, however the headlight switch has to be on first. Try it, put your high beams on, then turn off the headlight switch, they will go off.
The so called column mounted dip switch does not actually switch between high and low beams because low is always on with the headlight switch. The dip/flasher switch actually just additionally turns on the high beams.
If you look at the wiring diagram the high beams are not shown as being controlled by the headlight switch but they are. Lotus informed me that it could not be shown on the diagram:shrug:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Both my low beam were out? I tracked it down and believe it or not it was the bulbs. I spoke with the dealer and he said that they have had problems with the switch pack module and they carry the part in stock.:confused:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The switch pack module was the cause of one of my low beams being out.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
How much of a pig is it to remove? One of my low beams is flaky (flickers on and off when going over a bump) and dealer says it is the module and not the beam itself. I replaced the same beam about 2 years ago and wanted to try again before taking it in to dealer for the warranty work.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both my low beam were out? I tracked it down and believe it or not it was the bulbs. I spoke with the dealer and he said that they have had problems with the switch pack module and they carry the part in stock.:confused:
Did both your low beams go out simultaneously?
This is what happened to my 06 Elise: after startup I pushed the headlight button and both low beams slowly faded until completely going out. -Robert

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seemingly, although the Switch Pack Module is shown as being 6 relays, it does in fact incorportate soild state electronics. An interesting point is that if you look at wiring diagram #7 the high beam headlights are not depicted as being controlled by the headlight switch and we all know they are.
Are the headlight relays housed in the switch pack module?
What is a RELAY?
-Robert

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
http://sector111spyder.blogspot.com/2007/06/objective-dash-removal.html

A relay is a switching device that from a low current input is able to switch a higher current or mulitible outputs on isolated circuits. The Switch Pack Module has no relays, it uses electronic switching, even though the wiring diagram shows relays. The switching for the headlights is in this module.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have had one headlight low beam problem for a while too on my '06.

This might be a silly question, but does this switch pack also have anything to do with the A/C Relay Switch that can cause a power drop out during acceleration? I think I have this problem too.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
I have had one headlight low beam problem for a while too on my '06.

This might be a silly question, but does this switch pack also have anything to do with the A/C Relay Switch that can cause a power drop out during acceleration? I think I have this problem too.
The Switch Pack has outputs to the A/C Switch, Recirculating Switch, Recirculting Actuator & Fan Speed Switch

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The Switch Pack has outputs to the A/C Switch, Recirculating Switch, Recirculating Actuator & Fan Speed Switch
But those should be the back light to light up the switches/buttons at night, not the actual electronics of the switches circuits.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I had the SPM go on the fritz a couple times over the last year. I went driving one night for about 2 hours and when I got about 10 minutes from my destination my headlights started going on and off everytime I hit a bump (which is alot in this car!). After letting the car sit a while they worked fine on the way back except when I got about 10 minutes from home the lights started doing the same thing. So I figured the relays were getting hot and then they can't hold. So I did the DRL mod to reduce the strain on the SPM so the headlights aren't always on.

Heres a picture of the SPM circuit board

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
David, thanks for posting these photo's of the mysterious SPM, and it is more complex than shown in the wiring diagram.
I keep my headlights on during the day to make me more visible even though I don't have DRL.
Michael

1 - 20 of 37 Posts