The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a switched wire in the truck of the Exige (2011 in my case)?

I'm installing a rear camera. I don't want it only connected to work just in reverse - I want it powered on whenever the key is on (or car running).

Before I start hunting around, I thought I'd ask.
Thanks

Scott

·
Premium Member
11,306 Posts
They make wireless camera setups
Don't the cameras still need power? I assumed that the "wireless" part meant transmission to the monitor.

Note: I've been wrong before.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I have the camera. It mounts by the plate and is wired to a wifi transmitter. The camera gets its power from the transmitter. I'm really just looked for advice on where a switched wire would be in the trunk area.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think wireless is from the transmitter to the monitor... I don't think power has gone wireless yet. Most wireless cameras get their power from a tap to the reverse light which powers the camera and transmitter.

Turning on the parking lights/headlights will lite the rear tail lights... so tapping that bulb may give you rear camera as long as the parking/headings were on. I assume the voltage to the reverse lights and the parking lights are the same... but I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
11,306 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
sorry to necro this thread, but was there an identified wire to tap into to power the rear camera? I just got the Garmin BC30 rear camera and I'm looking to connect it to a similar switched power location in the trunk of my Exige.

·
Premium Member
11,306 Posts
I think some cars had a wire there for European rear fog lights, but it's been a long time.

Do you want your camera to be one all the time or only when in reverse?

In latter case, your b/u lights are powered then.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was looking to have the camera always on. I've been looking through the electrical diagram from the repair manual but it looks like I may have to try and wire it to the fuse box.

The license plate light has a nice slot already cut out next to where the light is bolted on and I used that to feed the camera line through into the trunk.

·
Premium Member
11,306 Posts
I think you're right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts