The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SY available in November ...

I hesitate to even post this here given the negative reaction to resales, but here goes ...

Michael (YELOTUS) and I had deposits down on two cars, and had planned to take delivery of both. One was spec'd with a hardtop, one was not. (I was the one who wanted the hardtop.) We took delivery of the one without the hardtop in August. In the meantime, Michael has decided he really likes the new Corvette, and has placed an order. That car is due in next month. Sooooo, that leaves us with an 'extra' Elise. I plan to take delivery of the car given the reported hassle and expense of trying to get a hardtop after the fact. I then will sell the car, minus the hardtop.

It has the Touring Pack and no other options. Let me know if you're interested. The selling price is naturally going to be higher than MSRP given the fact that I'll be paying tax, etc. on the car (and the dealer has had several thousand dollars of my money in deposits for quite awhile).

PM or email if you're interested.

Ellen

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I think there are easier ways to get a hardtop.

Why don't you just get your deposit back and either buy a hardtop from someone that does not want it or buy one from your dealer. It should still cost less than paying tax and license on a $45K car.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I had a dream the other day that my Elise was available ahead of time because people decided they didn't want theirs anymore and got off the list.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Patricko said:
I think there are easier ways to get a hardtop.

Why don't you just get your deposit back and either buy a hardtop from someone that does not want it or buy one from your dealer. It should still cost less than paying tax and license on a $45K car.
So far that's not turning out to be the case.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
transio said:
I had a dream the other day that my Elise was available ahead of time because people decided they didn't want theirs anymore and got off the list.
In real life ;) , I don't expect that's going to be the case all too often. For us it was a little different since we were looking at getting two. If it were only one, there'd be no way we'd let it go, and I think most people like us (who waited well over two years for their cars to come in) will be able to walk away without taking delivery of the car, especially once they see it and drive it.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
LNZ_YELO said:
I hesitate to even post this here given the negative reaction to resales, but here goes ...

Michael (YELOTUS) and I had deposits down on two cars, and had planned to take delivery of both. One was spec'd with a hardtop, one was not. (I was the one who wanted the hardtop.) We took delivery of the one without the hardtop in August. In the meantime, Michael has decided he really likes the new Corvette, and has placed an order. That car is due in next month. Sooooo, that leaves us with an 'extra' Elise. I plan to take delivery of the car given the reported hassle and expense of trying to get a hardtop after the fact. I then will sell the car, minus the hardtop.

It has the Touring Pack and no other options. Let me know if you're interested. The selling price is naturally going to be higher than MSRP given the fact that I'll be paying tax, etc. on the car (and the dealer has had several thousand dollars of my money in deposits for quite awhile).

PM or email if you're interested.

Ellen
It might be worth your time to do some research to determine if there is a way for you to purchase the car without registering it and paying the sales tax. This is commonly done for out of state purchases (you are in a different state than the dealer, right?). If you could then resell it and have the ultimate owner register and pay the sales tax, it might make the car a lot easier to sell.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: SY available in November or December ...

ChrisB said:
It might be worth your time to do some research to determine if there is a way for you to purchase the car without registering it and paying the sales tax. This is commonly done for out of state purchases (you are in a different state than the dealer, right?). If you could then resell it and have the ultimate owner register and pay the sales tax, it might make the car a lot easier to sell.
Thanks, Chris. Great advice and yes, I'm in a different state than the dealer. I'll check it out.

Ellen

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update: Based on the number of deliveries at our dealer, it looks like we're within the next four cars to be delivered for the second car. We're supposed to get more of an update next week regarding expected delivery timeframe. Figured I'd post this here before going to cars.com or Ebay, and I'll also post when the car actually is delivered.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Re: Re: SY available in November or December ...

ChrisB said:
It might be worth your time to do some research to determine if there is a way for you to purchase the car without registering it and paying the sales tax. This is commonly done for out of state purchases (you are in a different state than the dealer, right?).
I was wondering about this - I am buying in a different state than it will be registered in - which state do I pay sales tax to? I thought it was the state it was purchased in, and in this case what you said would be incorrect. Of course, I'm probably incorrect - so which state do you pay sales tax to?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Re: Re: Re: SY available in November or December ...

Graydon said:
I was wondering about this - I am buying in a different state than it will be registered in - which state do I pay sales tax to? I thought it was the state it was purchased in, and in this case what you said would be incorrect. Of course, I'm probably incorrect - so which state do you pay sales tax to?
The buyer pays tax to the state in which they register the car. Some states have agreements with others to collect the tax on their behalf.

To give you an example: I purchased a new car in NJ. As a VA resident, I didn't pay tax until I went to register the car in VA. On the other hand, MD collects the tax and handles the registration for VA residents. When I recently purchased the Elise in MD, the tax was collected by the dealer and paid to VA.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Re: Re: Re: SY available in November or December ...

Graydon said:
It depends on the state, but in this case, it depends primarily on whatever state the dealer is in.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: SY available in November or December ...

LNZ_YELO said:
The buyer pays tax to the state in which they register the car. Some states have agreements with others to collect the tax on their behalf.

To give you an example: I purchased a new car in NJ. As a VA resident, I didn't pay tax until I went to register the car in VA. On the other hand, MD collects the tax and handles the registration for VA residents. When I recently purchased the Elise in MD, the tax was collected by the dealer and paid to VA.
The dealer collects the taxes and arranges for the registration. I'm guessing that Maryland never even sees the money.

This would work for dealers that are in areas contiguous to other states, but for me to buy a car in Georgia I don't expect the dealer in Georgia to work with Virginia to pay taxes.

As I understand it, Georgia charges something like 6% whereas Virginia charges something like 3% on cars. This difference will actually save me over a thousand dollars if I figure out how NOT to pay the Georgia taxes. Something similar is true buying from Maryland.

If you're buying the car and reselling it without registering it, you should be able to avoid paying the taxes, but this may vary from state to state. If it is titled in your name and you're not a registered dealer, things might be different, though.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SY available in November or December ...

rob said:
As I understand it, Georgia charges something like 6% whereas Virginia charges something like 3% on cars.
But then VA charges you a huge personal property tax each year until you die.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SY available in November or December ...

rob said:
The dealer collects the taxes and arranges for the registration. I'm guessing that Maryland never even sees the money.

I didn't mean for it to sound like I thought MD was receiving the tax money in any way. The dealer is only acting as the agent collecting it for registering the car in VA. I'd imagine that if I have a buyer ready and waiting, I won't have to register it myself in VA prior to selling it. But that remains to be seen ... At this point there are still many unknowns (like delivery date, selling price, and potential buyers). ;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SY available in November or December ...

pinmagic said:
But then VA charges you a huge personal property tax each year until you die.
How true! The tax on just the 32 this year was $1200! Ouch. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts