The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Saffron Yellow - Touring Pkg. with 650
miles sold at a ' winning' bid of $49,050.
The winning bidder was someone named
'dangelini'. The item #2489742128 can
only be located in the archives after you
sign in at the site as a member. A Ramsey, N.J. dealer was listed as the seller.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Actually this doesn't seem so bad to me. Seems like the resales are going for about a 10-15% premium at most. Compare this to the ZR-1 and NSX that initially went for 30-50% over list, or cars like the E46 M3 and the M5, which commanded 25% premiums when they were first released. Even the Mini Cooper, which I think even today some people can get away with asking 5% over list for a used car (not sure if they're getting it though.)

If this is as hyped as the prices get, then it should all calm down after a year or so. I don't think the hype is going to get worse, unless somehow this becomes a fad car, like some celebrity or TV show featuring it, causing people to clamor for more information. Even then it would have to be some positive association with the "beautiful people", because the $40K price is high for the unwashed masses to consider. As far as auto enthusiasts go, this car should be pretty well known by now.

DLY

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
jay leno got one of these...he said so on television two weeks ago....he said it was a "tight fit"

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe that yellow and red Elises will
always command the highest prices over time. The funny thing is that they are the only two (non-metallics) that are at no
additional cost. P.S. - Since yellow is the most sought after color in Lamborghini,
and the Elise (in yellow) at the NY Car show was constantly thought to be a
'Baby Lambo', I think that color will be the most revered over time. The red always brings to mind the 6-cylinder Dino that
Ferrari offered in the 60's and 70's before moving up to 8-cylinder cars that compliment their 12 cylinder 'monsters'
until today. (Note: The 'Dino' was one of
the vehicles used by the original Elise designer for inspiration....copying. When
unsure about facets that should be included in a design, you can't go wrong
by stealing from Ferrari, that's for sure.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Johnny B said:
Tight fit for his chin or butt?

:D
yeaaaa!!!! LOL! Conan up, Leno down!!!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Very early car - serial number 038.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I bid on it and tryed to sneak in under the radar...the reserve was only $44,500. I don't think the dealership knew what they had, I tried to make a cash deal with them as soon as the reserve was hit but recieved no response.

I have no problem waiting but at that price it would have been worth getting now.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I don't think the hype is going to get worse, unless somehow this becomes a fad car, like some celebrity or TV show featuring it, causing people to clamor for more information.
I don't think the hype is going to get worse either. Just a piece of information: I have heard that the movie "Fast and the Furious 3" is considering using one or more Elises in the movie, which should be coming out summer 2005.

·
Registered
352 Posts
rucnok said:
jay leno got one of these...he said so on television two weeks ago....he said it was a "tight fit"
Is Jay Leno one of the "beautiful people"? :) Actually he is a die-hard car enthusiast, kind of like most of us would be if we had his $$$. It would make a lot of sense for him to go for an Elise.

By celebrity I'm thinking someone like Jessica Simpson. :D

As an actual example, look at the buzz the Governator (Arnold) gave to the original Hummer H1.

DLY

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Sept. issue of 'duPont Registry', which covers all the world's greatest
cars being offered for sale, has a Saffron Yellow Elise filling the front cover in 3 photos and adds a full page photo and
article on the car that will undoubtedly
raise awareness of the Elise with all enthusiasts the magazine reaches. I forcast an explosion of interest in the car that will bring price offers way up, come this spring and summer. I shudder to think of the average income for the people who actually purchase vehicles offered in this publication. A $60,000 offer for the right color car by people who consider that amount 'chump-change' is
a good possiibility. P.S. - The Oct. issue of Motor Trend rated all cars with regard to 'Slalom (curved) Course Average MPH Speed'. The Elise at an average speed of 73.2 mph set a record breaking speed that neither the the fastest (slalom) Ferrari @ 72.7 mph, or the fastest (slalom) Porsche @ 71.6 mph could equal, hence the Elise being called 'The Best Handling Car On the Planet'.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Doubt it, Ridgemanron. I think that most people in the US buy 'luxury/sports' cars for prestige. And the Lotus will never compete with Ferrari in that respect. The 'explosion of interest' isn't going to happen without heavy marketing and a pinch of fairy dust.

For me that's just as well. I'd rather see the car in the hands of enthusiasts. Makes it all the more special.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Pretty people...

are the "Pretty People" who buy cars as fashion items going to want to squeeze into the door aperture and then, with little dignity, drop down into the tight fitting seat???

maybe for a couple of months before they get fed up with it and either let it collect dust or dump it at their next dealer/car purchase.

when i went for a test drive, the lady after us "plopped" down into the seat with a surprised look on her face. no offense, but i don't think she would have been able to squeeze into the car with the top on. i figured her to be a very well-off wife who has a porsche, Lexus SUV and mercedes sedan in the garage and was looking for another toy car to maybe take the porsche's spot...

·
Registered
352 Posts
If something does become a fad or an "in" thing to have, then it won't really matter. Who would have thought 15 years ago people of all walks of life would want to ride nasty, noisy, vibrating motorcycles? Or 10 years ago, that they'd want to crawl into crude, brutish, huge Hummers?

Not that I think the Elise will become a fad thing. I think its relative impracticality is largely why price premiums are not as huge as for some other enthusiast cars in the past. But if I could accurately detect trendy, faddish whims among the people, I would be in marketing now... in reality, most fads don't make any sense anyway, so it's hard to use logic to explain them, or explain them away.

So while I hardly expect it, I wouldn't be shocked either if suddenly Elises become the fashionable thing to drive on Rodeo Drive!

DLY

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
I shudder to think of the average income for the people who actually purchase vehicles offered in this publication.
I think duPont Registry readers are only slightly more likely to be able to buy the cars and houses listed than Playboy readers are to date the women in the photos.

Both magazines sell pure fantasy.

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
i actually got my first copy of the dupont registry from a guy that walked into my office (he was done reading it), it was that magazine that made me aware of the Elise and caused me to locate my dealership that i left a deposit with 8 months ago.
I dont think this is the type of car to depreciate in value much....even if the premium pricing doesnt hold up, i couldnt see this car depreciating 50% over the next three years like all of my other cars. I think if you plan to keep this car for 3 yrs, you could probably get most of your money back and only lose 10-15K.
anyone else agree/disagree?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Pure speculation, rucnok. But in general Loti don't hold value well. It's all supply and demand. I still think that demand will dry up after 2-3 yrs allocation, and owners will have a hard time selling. But I'm not planning to sell anytime soon, so I don't really care. I think lists should start moving quite well soon -- faster than most think, due to dropoffs and duplicate orders. Buy the car because it's unlike any other, and not because it'll hold monetary value. Can't put a price on the way the right car makes you feel. This one should be a 'keeper'

1 - 20 of 21 Posts