The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Symbolic. Any 'List' cars delivered?

2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  grudkin 
#1 ·
Was wondering if ANYONE has taken delivery of a car from Symbolic at MSRP from the 'waiting list,' or have all cars to date been sold at 'market price?'

#4 ·
Are the cars going to Scottsdale Arizona coming from the east or the west coast ports? They're delivering customer cars.

There have been a few cars delivered to Symbolic LaJolla and I test drove (albeit slowly) a yellow one thas was said to be a demo. Did that car get sold?

I do expect a percentage (1/3 ?) of the cars to go to non-waitlisted customers, but it will be encouraging to see some waitlisted cars delivered. My order reportedly went in (30s), and I figure that will place the car midway in the 2005 run. Maybe February I hope.

#5 ·
Arizona cars come from San Diego, as do the rest of the western USA (Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, Washington).

Symbolic has been getting customer cars. But those customers were named Joe Symbolic or something like that. :)

#6 ·
My order reportedly went in (30s)
Me to, and I was told '12-18 more months' -- waiting 16 months so far

You're lucky you got a test drive. I was told I was not high up enough on the list to merit one yet

Pretty close to just bailing out at this point, as the bloom is off the rose for me with all that's transpired. I'll probably wait a bit more, on the chance that the lists will start moving faster. Now lookin' for an early 911 racecar as a track toy to tide me over. If I have no good news by January, I'll drop off and save for the F-car (365 GT4 BB) I've always wanted, and forego the Elise for the near-term

#7 ·
12- 18 months? Have you been asked to specify a car yet? My order was reportedly placed.

WTF...That means the last deliveries of the '06 run go to #60- maybe. Supposing they get 60/year, then there's an awful lot of folks named Symbolic on the list.

I happened to stop by on a Monday afternoon as the car was being unloaded, and took the opportunity to drive the car. But its was too new to do much of a test.

#8 ·
No, I wasn't asked to spec the car yet. The 'guess' was that I was in the high 30's when I placed my order early June '03

I called to arrange a test drive in August, and that's when they put me off until my order was about to come up. When is that? I'm not sure I place much faith in the time estimates. I would guess my car might be delivered late spring/early summer 05, but of course if they just keep selling all the cars off the list, we'll be put off until interest in the car dies down. By that time, I may well go to another car altogether. I don't know why they bothered taking names, to be honest.

#9 ·
It's also not clear whether they are getting separate allocations for LA and SD. Once their Beverly Hills location closed, confusion got worse and I have yet to hear a consistent story. If they're down to one list then our 30s become 60s as the lists get combined.

FWIW I'm spending more time getting my Pcar back in good form now that delivery has gone from October to February, and now possibly to July '05.

I've seen a lot of complaints tossed at Lotus, but this one's clearly out of their hands. Sure Symbolic has a right to sell a portion of their cars to their 'good' customers, but they need to recognize that a lot of the Elise buyers will be working their way up over time.

#10 ·
I'm on the BH list, Jay. And you're right, it's extra confusing with the two lists. They've been saying that they'll re-open in LA, but I'm not confident that this will happen anytime soon, if at all.

Correct that it's not Lotus' fault, though there's plenty to gripe about there if you're so inclined.

So you are a P-car guy, too? I've been through three over the last 15 yrs, and track with POC. How about you? I know PCA is bigger in the SD area.

#14 ·
Let's hope that they at least get started on 'the list'. I have heard that they expect a large allocation, but somehow I doubt it will be 120+ per year...but we can only hope so.

Yes the SD region is very active (www.pcasdr.org). Our autocrosses draw 120 to 130 cars, and we usually get in 12- 14 runs per car. Having a large parking lot at Qualcomm helps a lot. We also run DEs there-the last 2 days I've managed to put 60 to 70 miles each day (3 sessions), so its good seat time. Just wish we had a track closer than CA speedway.

Sure wish I could better predict when my Elise is to appear. Having the cash around is dnagerous. There are some nice P-cars that I could pick up for 50K that would be quite nice or track ready.

#15 ·
Sounds like a well organized group, Jay. True that 50K will get you a nice track car. I just missed one for 32.5 that was awesome. 3.5 twin plug, 2200 lbs, 320 hp, fully done interior/suspension, 9s and 11s -- 2 sets, tons of extras. Easily 60-80K in the car. I didn't move fast enough, but there are other deals out there. For 50K, I'll be you could find a 993 cup car these days

#16 ·
As I understand it... BH is gone and the list merged with San Diego. However, LCU allowed Symbolic to keep the original allocation for BH so they have double the allocation of a single dealer. Symbolic also sold Esprits, so I would expect them to get a healthy allocation. 120 a year would not be unreasonable.

The only fly in the ointment would be that Symbolic ordered a number of cars for sale at market value. I have never figured out if you were number 3 on the list, are you really number 13 since they ordered 10 dealer cars? Or did they tell you that you were number 13, in which case they did not misrepresent your position.

#17 ·
When I spoke to Symbolic in August, they asked me which dealer I put my deposit down at, and when I told them BH, they told me my number as if it was my number on the BH list. It seemed to me like the allocation was combined, but that they were maintaining the lists somewhat separately (after having originally merged and then separated them again later).

This seemed likely to me because my number only went up about 12 places from the number I was originally told at BH when I put my deposit down with them, and if it was just a combined list, I would have expected to have gone up much closer to 30 or 40 places.

Whatever.
I'm not on the list anymore, so hopefully that will help someone else get their car sooner.

#18 ·
O.K., so now we're into October. Still no 'list' cars from Symbolic delivered? Anyone know of someone who's taken delivery?

Can those of us on Symbolic's list simply expect to wait until there's no chance of a price premium? From what I can see on E-bay, premiums are now in the 5K range, rather than the 10K we were seeing a few weeks ago. I would hope that the premium days will end by Jan 1

#19 ·
Well, the wife and I just stopped by Symbolic en route to San Diego, and they were loading a storm titanium one onto a truck, and Sean there said that he wasn't even taking any more deposits, since he said that he had enough deposits until the new body style comes out. Yikes!

We saw the Aubergine Purple demo they have, and he said he was willing to part with it for $7k above MSRP. We declined, although the Aubergine is a gorgeous color (despite there not being any sun out when we saw it).

Sean was very nice, I must say, as well. But it looks like Symbolic's all booked, unless you want the Vaux^H^H^H^H new body style. :)

#21 ·
OK, so I'm bumping the topic in the hopes that there is some new information.... anybody have anything?

I know that at least a couple of 'list' cars have left Symbolic at MSRP.

I bought a '74 911 with a 3.0 transplant as a street/track car to 'tide me over,' so I'm not jones-ing for a sportscar anymore, but some good news RE Symbolic would be nice

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.