The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone to the grand opening of the collection?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Not that there is a lack of communication here....

BUT

What collection?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I received an invitation to the grand opening of Symbolic's sister company, the "Symbolic Collection". I'm not exactly one of their finest customers, so I assume everyone received an invite. They sell things the wife might like too see, such as rare colored diamonds and other nonsense. I was wondering if anyone else bothered to take a gander. Last night the Rolls Royce Phantom was on display and tonight the Bentley Continental GT will be out for show. The new showroom is next to the upper level of the Crabcatcher a few doors down from George's on Prospect.

A bit too "Hollywood" of an atmosphere, but as I was already eating dinner on Prospect, it was worth 20 minutes of my time.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Mmmm.... The Crabcatcher.

Some nice eating around there. I need to get back to the cove.

Never received anything from Symbolic. I am like the poster child of forgotten people on the waiting list. :(

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't worry Randy. I bet you'll still get your car before me! They were not checking invitations, and people passing by were able to enter, so check it out if you wish. Let me know if you are going, I might be able to swing by for a chat.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I am like the poster child of forgotten people on the waiting list. :(
I feel that way as well... at least you got a call from them when they got the car in. :p

I didn't even receive the letter about the engine confirmation that everyone else with Symbolic seems to have received.

::sigh:: - as long as I get the car, I guess it's worth enduring crappy service... wait a minute, I'm spending $40K on a *car* - I think I should have a red carpet rolled out with young babes faning me as I walk to the easy chair where the ownership papers await my signature.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
What letter about the engine? I did not get that either. In fact, I have not been contacted once since giving a deposit.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BrianK said:
I didn't even receive the letter about the engine confirmation that everyone else with Symbolic seems to have received.
I did not receive this letter either. What consistency, between the letter, people getting called for test drives, and other invites.

Randy - not even about test driving the yellow car? Or did you find out about that one on your own?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
There was an earlier issue with Symbolic. A mix up of sorts. I asked Graham to be placed on the waiting list back in January of 2002. I assume I would be one of the first, if not the first, on the waiting list. My conservations with him and other sales people indicated everything was hunky dory.

The next step, they would call me when they wanted money. No call. Other people reported they had given them deposits. I called them. Oh yes... I could give them a depost. I think I would be around 25th on the list. WTF? So I emailed Graham and then talked to him on the phone. Very good conversation. He asked me to come in. They had a car I could look at too.

So I did go and drove the car and talked to Graham. He apologized for the mix up. Said I would be in the top 5 on the list. I gave him a check. Well, I was supposed to give the sales person a check, but there was a mix up and he was busy with someone else.

And that was the last I have heard from them.

Do other people call or drop by to keep in touch? Should I be more pro-active?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have dropped by before brunch just to sit in the Mk I Elise with the Honda engine they have in the showroom. Whether or not it has helped them "remember" me is unknown.

The larger isssue is why should you have to help them remember you? They should be more active themselves, but it is not so unusual considering the cirumstances of the car. Overall I'm not so bothered. My salesperson told me he'd call once they received final colors and options.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
My suggestion would be to be more pro-active. The dealer I'm with isn't too bad (depending on who your salesperson is, end up switching to one of the managers). They really don't have anything to sell us at this point or much info for that matter, so it's pretty easy for some things to fall through the cracks. I've made it a habit to call every month or so or whenever there is any major news/rumors. It's a good way to stay in the loop and pick up little tidbits...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
BrianK said:
wait a minute, I'm spending $40K on a *car* - I think I should have a red carpet rolled out with young babes faning me as I walk to the easy chair where the ownership papers await my signature.
Especially when you consider you're paying that much for one of the most stripped down, featureless cars available to the US public! ;-)

Randy, I received an engine letter from my dealership (Silicon Valley Motors); it was just a copy of a faxed press release from Lotus. Still, it's the thought that counts! If I were you I'd work on building that relationship with your salesperson. Just call them (or email) to check up on the car and see if they've heard anything new about it.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I've e-mailed once a month (or every other month) since I put down my deposit. I was originally working with the manager (Harry Osborn - Beverly Hills location) - he stopped returning my e-mails all together, so I switched one of the salesmen - Nick - who has at least been kind enough to return my e-mails.

Oh well... bitch and moan as I might, I doubt anything will change.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
BrianK said:
wait a minute, I'm spending $40K on a *car*
You need to remember that this is by far the cheapest car most high-end dealerships sell.

If they're used to selling Ferraris & Bentleys, or even the Esprit, the Elise is less than half the price of those cars...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I've received the engine announcement letter from Symbolic BH, I got it the day after it went public on the Internet.

I recommend being proactive, staying in regular communications with your sales contact. I figure that it can only help, for them to know who you are and that you're really interested in buying one of these things, they probably get a lot of looky-loos and people who talk but aren't really serious buyers.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I agree with that, but I would think that a $1000 of my money would be enough to differentiate the serious buyers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts