The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been running the synchrotech carbon-line synchros on track? Stock power or more? Any experience, feedback? Seems like there is no info on the subject

Thanks,
Nik

mandatory pic :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
I tried them on my Honda’s transmission. It works until you miss a shift. I missed one with a slight overrev, and I broke the carbon liner. But it works better than standard, but more fragile. I rebuild the transmission with std synchrotech synchro after, and no carbon anymore. Carbon do not slip...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Absolutely not, they are trash, mine lasted 14 sessions, friends lasted 1.

·
Registered
885 Posts
quite clear... 2 on 2 saying no

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did they wear out and made it really hard to shift? All gears or just 3 and 4?

·
Registered
885 Posts
For me, the shift were perfect, just perfect until it break... after that, it is like shifting without synchro... grrrrrrrrrrrr, on/off

·
Supporting Vendor
4,246 Posts
Absolutely not, they are trash, mine lasted 14 sessions, friends lasted 1.
Kevin,
That is not fair. You are not running a stock transmission. You have blown out many components in your driveline - repeatedly. Maybe you can state what your set-up is.

We have dozens of clients running these on track with stock trans with great success. Both my street Elise and track Elise (ArtCar2) run them with no issues. Both cars have run anywhere from 190-250hp. Stock gears and clutches.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Rich's car was 100% stock on non supercharged and his failed almost right away. My car at the time was not dramatically different then stock, and after I rebuilt it I never broke my trans again after the carbon synchros. That trans is in fact still running in another car on the west coast now. If your implication is that the synchros can only be used with stock gears and clutches then you need to sell them labeled as such. But to sell them as a performance product, then attack everyone who uses them for a performance car is unacceptable. Also I would like to understand what effect horsepower has on synchro life?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I can agree on one thing, and I think that power do not affect synchro, and a close box like I have is better for the synchro, but I agree on the fact that I am a bad ass driver... I am agressive, push the car a lot, shift on the cutoff a lot, downshift on high rev. I am fast but for sure, agressive... the car needs to be rock solid. I know few guy going to track, and driving very smooth at the track to save the car, shifting lower than in the street.

Bad ass attitude = car troublessssssss

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let’s focus on the technical side. While it is hard for a vendor to be objective about a product they are selling we need to be respectful and appreciate that someone went out and developed an aftermarket product which should improve performance for the c60 transmission, realistically costs the same as the OEM part and I highly doubt it generates any meaningful profits. It also seems like there are some issues with the product, so the question is if it’s a fundamental technical shortcoming of the carbon lining or a specific issues with the part for the C60/c64 transmission. I am currently rebuilding a c64 which has about 2000 miles (mostly track) on the carbon synchros and you can see both third and fourth gear synchros have almost no clearance on the synchronizer cone.
I am wondering if this is just normal wear, if there is an issue with the cone angle or some other dimensional aspect? It has marks on the face indicating it was basically bottoming out which I find unlikely for just regular wear.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
They come new already almost bottoming out, measured like 75% worn IIRC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure what you mean by 75% worn. The spec on 4th gear is 0.0295” (0.75mm) minimum synchro ring to cone clearance. I get 0.007” on the carbon synchro i pulled out and I get 0.037” on a used oem synchro I had. I think new they are about 40 thou.

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
I'm curious if anyone has tried carbon synchros and been successful. BUMP

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
How many bad reviews does a product need to over ride the one person who drives his car like a grandma on sundays to church and hasn't broke them yet? Stock synchros are very good in a well built box and provide great performance. What are you trying to accomplish?

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
i'm rebuilding a stock box to go in a car with stock SC power and I had a surprise recommendation for these. I remembered this thread and figured I'd see if there had been any changes in opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts