The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a blaupunkt venice beach cd 34 with the stock speakers. I have stage 2 exhaust on my car and the stock system doesn't seem to be that "great." I can't stand the volume "knobs" on the blaupunkt.

Is it a PITA to go from a blaupunkt head unit to a different brand? ie wiring harnesses. The alpine head units are reasonable and the volume knob is actually a knob.

For those of you who have, is it worth it to upgrade the speakers? I have heard a lot about the Polk speakers and those are the recomended ones on the uberpost.

Thanks, Aaron

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Acapulco kept it but added a amp, replaced the stock speakers with Hertz and added a 10' sub in the foot-well even with the sub out (I have quick disconnect on it) speakers are a huge improvement

John

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Lose the Stage 2. It provides no power, but lots of noise.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stage 2 is lighter, I like the noise of the stage 2 but I want to hear the streo too, I like to party. I've heard that the stock exhaust sounds horrible

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
To really hear your system over a stage 2 you will need an amp, new speakers, HU, and sub. Otherwise all you will be able to hear is screeching distortion. As for the Alpine, I just cut off the end of the stock harness and wired up the Alpine harness, minus the speaker wires because I ran new ones to my amp. You can do it in stages easy enough. Do a search and the wiring pin outs are posted here somewhere for the stereo. I remember something about the wiring being slightly different than US with the 12v positive wires. I think they are backwards. Here is an old thread:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38747

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Sometime during the summer, I will be using stock head unit, but installing one amp to power the rear speakers. Rear speakers, will be trying to fit a 6.5" free-air subwoofer, for some added bass, nothing too thumpy. The fronts will be doing the mids and highs.

This way, two 6.5" subwoofers are much ligher than a box and a big sub. Hopefully, it will be a balance between good sound and added weight.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't forget the audiologist :eek:
good point, I'd like to keep my hearing. I like cpforyou's idea, I'm curious to see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I switched back to my stage 1 exhaust. What a difference!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts