The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Less W8
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems I have a failure of part or all of the instrument panel. At the moment it seems that neither the tachometer or speedometer work. I know the low fuel and turn signal lights work but I'm not sure what else works or does not work at this point, as I only had a few minutes today, further examination is needed.

It seems this is not an unknown problem. I wonder if anyone can describe the steps to take to try a fix the problem as I've tried to search on this site but didn't find anything terribly helpful.

Does the mileage memory reside in the dash or ECU? If the panel needs to be replaced are they available, my car is a 2006? Anyone have any idea of the cost?

Any and all advice and information gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
It seems I have a failure of part or all of the instrument panel. At the moment it seems that neither the tachometer or speedometer work. I know the low fuel and turn signal lights work but I'm not sure what else works or does not work at this point, as I only had a few minutes today, further examination is needed.

It seems this is not an unknown problem. I wonder if anyone can describe the steps to take to try a fix the problem as I've tried to search on this site but didn't find anything terribly helpful.

Does the mileage memory reside in the dash or ECU? If the panel needs to be replaced are they available, my car is a 2006? Anyone have any idea of the cost?

Any and all advice and information gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

There are several different reset methods.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/help-my-dash-has-stopped-working-247449/

San

·
Less W8
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to update this situation.

If we're looking for proof that these cars should be driven regularly, I was given it today.

I took my new (to me) car for a little bit longer drive and all of a sudden the speedo and tach started to work! The low fuel light went off and the fuel gage showed that the tank was full!

This was a good day!

So the moral of the story is "drive you car more often"!!

Ian
SoCal

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Just to update this situation.

If we're looking for proof that these cars should be driven regularly, I was given it today.

I took my new (to me) car for a little bit longer drive and all of a sudden the speedo and tach started to work! The low fuel light went off and the fuel gage showed that the tank was full!

This was a good day!

So the moral of the story is "drive you car more often"!!

Ian
SoCal

Maybe. You may have an intermittent problem, and those are the worst to troubleshoot.

San

·
Less W8
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I'd thought about that; or it's just getting ready to fail completely! If it either case I'll just enjoy the car while I can. With only 7K mile on the car I'd hope it's not ready yo fail, but it is a Lotus . . .

Ian
SoCal

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unfortunately, San's comment is spot on.... The problem will reoccur... :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Look at your voltage, i resolved the problem because my alternator was dead!! And the voltage to low .
Probably a low voltage battery , and after several miles the voltage go up and your dash work fine ???

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had this problem with my '05 about six months after I bought it (new). Because the mileage memory resides in the cluster, the dealer wanted to try to fix the cluster rather than replace it and have to certify that the mileage on the odometer was not actual mileage. They opened the dash and tightened all the connections to the cluster and, voila, fixed.

·
Less W8
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems my problem with the Dash persists. Most recently the dash would be dead when I first drove the car but after a few minutes it would spring in to life. My conclusion at the time was maybe low battery voltage as the car would have sat for a few days and then with a bit of charge it came back to life.

Yesterday I drove the car for just a few miles and at first the dash behaved the same. Dead at the beginning and then coming back to life. This time however after a little while the dash died again. Then it came back to life and stayed alive.

Today I drove for about 70 miles and the dash dropped in and out 6 or 7 times. I think this disproved the low voltage theory. Plus starting is very lively with no signs of sluggishness at all.

So, what are the new best theories? Firmware reset sounds credible, but with the problem being so intermittent I'm leaning towards a bad connection somewhere.

I'd like to try and fix this myself and resort to the dealer if possible so if anyone has any 'how-to' ideas I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Ian

·
Registered
945 Posts
There are two connectors in the back of the 06 cluster. One runs the hardwired lights (turn signal, seat belt, etc.) and supplies power, and one runs the CAN bus (tach, speedo, fuel).

It sounds like your CAN bus connector (the one with just a few wires going to it) could be flaky. Some people have reported either bad contacts in the connector or bad solder connections between the connector and the instrument cluster board. I'd try unplugging and cleaning the connector first.

Removing the cluster trim to get to the connector isn't hard: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/lotus-cluster-removal-installation-zeroing-needles-48747/

·
Premium Member
12,175 Posts
Put a voltmeter on the battery:

1. to ensure alternator charges properly. should see ~ 14 v with engine running

2. Use to check battery terminal connections. A lower voltage at cables (vs. posts) means that connection is loose and/or dirty.

3. IIRC, there is an intermediate connection on those cables not far from battery ends.

·
craigyirush
1,555 Posts
Didn't you just buy this car from WW? Any chance they'll offer to help with the repair?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
There are two connectors in the back of the 06 cluster. One runs the hardwired lights (turn signal, seat belt, etc.) and supplies power, and one runs the CAN bus (tach, speedo, fuel).

It sounds like your CAN bus connector (the one with just a few wires going to it) could be flaky. Some people have reported either bad contacts in the connector or bad solder connections between the connector and the instrument cluster board. I'd try unplugging and cleaning the connector first.
^^^
yup, this is 100% triloduc's problem

once the dash is apart the top (white 3 wire) connector is the one in question... the plug is either gradually becoming loose & causing intermittent cluster outages, or the cluster itself underneath that plug has some deteriorating solder points

if you bought it from a dealer, have them check that before they go replacing parts

it seems to be a common problem on our cars in case you felt left out

·
Less W8
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Craig,

I did just buy the car from WW, but as he is in Florida and I'm in California I doubt there is much they could do to help. When the problem was first noticed I let Hayes know. He told me that they had not seen the problem and would not sell a car with a known problem like this. Based on his stellar reputation I'm inclined to believe him. Also, it was my decision to buy the car without a test drive so I'll take responsibility for the issue.

Thank to everyone for the great advice. I'm very comfortable with most mechanical jobs but this one is a little outside my comfort zone. I guess I'll be taking it slowly and carefully!

Ian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts