The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in the last few days when my tach reaches around 6200 it sticks. The engine continues to increase in rpm. Tell tale light does not iluminate. No rev limit. After I shift the tach either stays at or below 2000 AND REMAINS COMPLETELY OUT OF CALIBRATION ???

At Idle tach is at 0. If I turn the ignition off it resets and works fine. I have tried the Owners manual "door open.. " method. But the problem continues. I also have searched the threads but have not come across the same situation.

If anyone can point me to a post with this situation or might be of some help it would be deeply appreciated. Btw.. ambient air temp has been between 25 to 30 degrees when this occurs.

Hopefully I wont get bombarded with :tadts:

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
red pill time for you.

advanced search, titles only

tach*

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to clarify.When I do the recalibration It does reset. But problem starts all over again after reaching 6500. Icedog: So are you saying that if I Dont turn the key fast enough, it doesnt reset ? Or that it wont clear the sticking problem?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Just to clarify.When I do the recalibration It does reset. But problem starts all over again after reaching 6500. Icedog: So are you saying that if I Dont turn the key fast enough, it doesnt reset ? Or that it wont clear the sticking problem?
It won't reset. I ran into where it wouldn't reset completely unless I turned the key fast.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
When it resets it will give all sorts of nifty whirring noises and the area where your temp/odometer is will go through an entire version and reset program before returning to normal. Also, I found out the hard way it WILL NOT reset with your lights on. Make sure they are turned off.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That happoned 3 times over 2 yrs. but is common as you will see. For some reason when I waited over night and then did the reset proceedure it worked. You may want to try that if you have exhusted options. I have also read of people disconnecting the battery becuase they could not get it fixed.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When it resets it will give all sorts of nifty whirring noises and the area where your temp/odometer is will go through an entire version and reset program before returning to normal. Also, I found out the hard way it WILL NOT reset with your lights on. Make sure they are turned off.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your info. I think this is why my previous resets didn't change anything. I will attempt it tomorrow.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That happoned 3 times over 2 yrs. but is common as you will see. For some reason when I waited over night and then did the reset proceedure it worked. You may want to try that if you have exhusted options. I have also read of people disconnecting the battery becuase they could not get it fixed.
Thanks Kyle .As you might notice this was your previous car:wave:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your info. I think this is why my previous resets didn't change anything. I will attempt it tomorrow.
No problem. I've only had mine stick once (though it was impressive how fast I was going!) and I sat there with the manual going nuts for about half an hour that night. For some reason I thought about it being an ECU reading a particular set of signals and figured that the lights might just have been enough to send a different signal. It worked the first time I turned the lights off and just for the heck of it, it worked the 2nd time as well. That's one thing NOT mentioned in the owners manual. :shrug:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the owners manual should mention what we should see on the display if the recal is successful. I did it this morning and it worked . TURN THE KEY FAST. Thanks everyone again for the details.

We can shut this post down!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Odd.. now that we mention this thread mine decided to stick at 4k rpm's and 45mph. It was a blast zipping along on the freeway to an indicated 120mph! :) Where was the camera when I needed it? Granted, it'd be the one time I got pulled over and they'd use that against me never in the world believing it was a stuck speedo...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:mad:It's at it again.
I am going to take it to the dealer.
Works fine then sticks again

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dealer is replacing the instrument cluster as we speak :up:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got back home with the car. Tach is working great. They had the part in stock. New one has a more orange illumination. I liked the original one a little better;but I am totally happy it was covered under warranty. Thanks again to all who posted. :clap:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts