The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, give me the lowdown on this Taco Mesa place.....

I spend my life in search of good Taco Houses. And sadly, there are very few that excite me in LA.

I assume this place is in OC. I go there occasionally, when they lift the curtain and allow Pick-ups in. I have to make a safe retreat before nightfall though....

·
Registered
125 Posts
The best one is the original store. A converted "old style" Taco Bell with ultra-funky paint and lots of surfer stickers. About a mile from me on 19th St. in Costa Mesa, across from the DMV. Always busy, much like Tito's in Culver City. There's about six of them now.

They're famous for the Blackened Chicken Burrito...though many prefer the Blackened Calamari. In my opinion, it's damn good progressive (okay, yuppie) mexican at reasonable prices. Plus they have daily specials that always amaze me.

Wahoo's is good, but is very basic. Not much flavor.

I need to stop talking about food... -la

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
I've been there too. It's the favorite for people that have been drinking and need something to keep them going the rest of the night. Then again my friends that introduced me to the place are pot heads, so I'm sure it was great to cure their munchies.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Right across from DMV on 19th Street in Costa Mesa.

The Blackened Calamari Tacos are unbelievable.

My wife refuses to eat there... she always mumbles something about hygeine. She doesn't mind if I bring her home the blackened chicken burrito though.

Larry, you and I actually know someone who doesn't like that place, guess who... He thinks it's too Fru-fru, "What is that Guatemalan food? It sure ain't Mexican."

·
Registered
146 Posts
I love that place, Larry and I had a send off meal there last year before heading to Topeka. I've been eating there for years, Ivan Calderon the owner is a ex El Torito Chef. Everything is good and the fresh frutas is excellent.

Art

·
Registered
125 Posts
Robert Puertas said:

My wife refuses to eat there... she always mumbles something about hygeine.

Larry, you and I actually know someone who doesn't like that place, guess who... He thinks it's too Fru-fru, "What is that Guatemalan food? It sure ain't Mexican."
Yeah, my girlfriend says the same thing. :rolleyes:

And if JW doesn't like it, that just means there will be more for me!

I do have to wonder what it would cost to have them cater the banquet though...it can't be very much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts