The Lotus Cars Community banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Since everyone has posted what they did to their tail lights , I thought I would post what My friend and follow forum member Danny and I did to ours.

This was his idea and I followed along. Very happy with the results.

Most hobby shops sell Tamiya rc car paint. We used transparent red.
Here's a pic of how they turned out :)

Alan

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,649 Posts
Alan,

Sorry for being dense, but I can't see what you guys did.

At first I thought there was a lingerie model blinding me, but I couldn't find her either....

????????????????

Did you swap the rear plinths?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Alan,

Sorry for being dense, but I can't see what you guys did.

At first I thought there was a lingerie model blinding me, but I couldn't find her either....

????????????????

Did you swap the rear plinths?
:D:D:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wow, sorry you missed the lingerie model. She was here just 10 seconds before I took the photo :)

We did indeed ,paint the orange part of the tail lights red. The orange just seemed to date the car.

Danny did swap out his rear plinth . Mine is stock.

Alan

·
Banned
938 Posts
Great idea with the transparent red paint. It's subtle but effective.

Perhaps the can of spray-paint is subtle but the change is dramatic!

I Digg! Will attempt.-maybe-
Question: When you paint the yellow innards to red and its all dry and reassemble the housings to the car, can you not detect the yellow throughout the rest of the plastic on towards the surface while looking close up?

·
Registered
31 Posts
No you can't see the yellow/ orange color through the red, but the the light still flash as normal. More modern look. Make sure it's the Tamiya transparent red. We did about 3-4 coats. Take your time and don't rush and it will come out PERFECT. I did it about 5 years ago and it's still perfect even after numerous washes.

·
Banned
938 Posts
No you can't see the yellow/ orange color through the red, but the the light still flash as normal. More modern look. Make sure it's the Tamiya transparent red. We did about 3-4 coats. Take your time and don't rush and it will come out PERFECT. I did it about 5 years ago and it's still perfect even after numerous washes.
Fantastic.
I will give it a go very soon.
How long did you wait between coats?
ThankYou greatly.
Im a bit excited.
:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Great idea with the transparent red paint. It's subtle but effective.

Perhaps the can of spray-paint is subtle but the change is dramatic!

I Digg! Will attempt.-maybe-
Question: When you paint the yellow innards to red and its all dry and reassemble the housings to the car, can you not detect the yellow throughout the rest of the plastic on towards the surface while looking close up?
"No you can't see the yellow/ orange color through the red, but the the light still flash as normal. More modern look. Make sure it's the Tamiya transparent red. We did about 3-4 coats. Take your time and don't rush and it will come out PERFECT. I did it about 5 years ago and it's still perfect even after numerous washes."

Nice to see you chime in Danny , and about time :)

No need to take the lights apart. Mask carefully , making sure not to paint the rubber gasket , and spray the orange section while its still on the car .

Havent thought about painting the plinth , but thinking about it now :)

Alan

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
"No you can't see the yellow/ orange color through the red, but the the light still flash as normal. More modern look. Make sure it's the Tamiya transparent red. We did about 3-4 coats. Take your time and don't rush and it will come out PERFECT. I did it about 5 years ago and it's still perfect even after numerous washes."

Nice to see you chime in Danny , and about time :)

No need to take the lights apart. Mask carefully , making sure not to paint the rubber gasket , and spray the orange section while its still on the car .

Havent thought about painting the plinth , but thinking about it now :)

Alan
Hi Alan.
You said -spray the orange section while its still on the car.

Your then saying in so many words that you painted the outside of the lense???

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Kenny said it best "yes" :)

Alan

·
Banned
938 Posts
Hello.
This answers a few of my own questions, as how by painting the innards can change
the y/orange color throughout and especially on the seams. It cant.

I just polished those lenses and am a bit intamate with their form now. I almost pulled them out today.
My big confusion is that I have never heard anyone painting the outside of the lense...on any vehicle but only on the inside to tint the lense.
Im sure its due to durability issue and of course the paint characteristics itself.
Yea, its a clear red paint but I am worried about how it would last being on the outside.
If you can run your thumbnail hard down the painted lense without any paint being removed, well then Im sold; but paint on a super smooth finish without even primer sounds like a weekly fix.
Mike E.

'

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mines been on for more then two years without any problems at all.
Danny's has been on over 5 years and looks as good as the day it was done.

Alan

81 - 100 of 134 Posts