Jared 06 CO Elise
Bob Red Elise?
Mike Solar Yellow Elise
alil'britdifferent Starlight Black
Rythmaker Red Elise
Keith (SDD) Maybe
Racy Tracy Porsche
Todd (Moto44) 2008 Elise California

So here is the deal, feel free to join me. Or not. I am doing this in any case. :)

My plan is to leave the Barber track day in Birmingham Monday June 1st sometime in the afternoon and then drive over to Deals Gap.

Staying Monday night, June 1st at Fontana Village. Note that Tapoca Lodge is now closed.
Accommodations at Fontana Village

It is 280 miles and 6 hours via Cherohala Skyway (long twisty way) or 267 mi – about 4 hours 41 mins taking the direct route. I am shooting to arrive in Fontana Village around 8:30 or so for dinner.

Tuesday June 2nd. Drive Tail of the Dragon and surrounding roads. Drive until afternoon after a lunch stop.

Anyone else interested?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I am planning on doing something similar. Leaving Tuesday morning. I'm not sure if the USA7s folks are planning on using Tapco Lodge or Fontana Village. We stayed at Fontana Village in 2007 and it was nice. Both places accommodate trailers.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tapoca Lodge is closed for 2009. Maybe we can meet up.

**** Opalak is joining us.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,799 Posts
I too will be driving up after the track day on Monday. I can't imagine getting to Fontana before 10 PM or so.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too will be driving up after the track day on Monday. I can't imagine getting to Fontana before 10 PM or so.
I could be talked into hanging around, but I was thinking of leaving a little early. But who knows...

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yay!! Awesome!!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Pulling an enclosed trailer with a Ford Ranger makes for slow going. That and being on the track for the first time in years makes want to leave Tuesday.

Usually there are small gatherings of folks for dinner after the track. So it makes Monday evening is a good time to rest after LOG. MickO will need rest!

The Dragon will be great. Weekdays there is little to slow you down. Unfortunately killboy.com photos - The Original Photographer from US129 Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap doesn't take pictures on most weekdays. Also see Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC for more info.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
But I know Killboy and I will tell him we are going to be there on Tuesday. In the past he as been very good about being there.

I would delay if I could, but the entire trip is taking up lots of my time so I need to get going quicker.

edit to add I sent Darryl (Killboy) an email.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I would love to do it! I just started a new job though so taking vacation that soon might be difficult.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would love to do it! I just started a new job though so taking vacation that soon might be difficult.
*cough* That flu still going around? *cough*

·
Registered
667 Posts
Count me in. I'm the Mike that Jared mentioned. :nanner:

I really enjoyed it last time. It was great sitting down over a few meals and talking cars with everyone. And the driving is, of course, great as well.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Clearly you need a proper color in the caraven -poke-

- count me in!!

I'll ask the other Carolina guys at the show on Saturday.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I'll figure it out at LOG, but I would like to make it if circumstances allow.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
How could I do this only taking Monday and Tuesday off work.....and being at work Wednesday at 3:30am??

I could leave NC at 1pm on Tuesday....and drive straight through to Chicago.....arriving here at midnight and go straight to work and sleep 3 hours before I start.... or am I pushing my luck here?? I work on 3 hours of sleep quite often.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,315 Posts
The LEO guys MIGHT be persuaded to detour through the Dragon on Tuesday. (Yes, you DO need a rest after LOG and we have several in our party who are doing the track day at Barber.)

Currently our plans are to drive it on the way down from Knoxville BEFORE LOG. But the weather can be fickle...so if fog or rain rolled in on Wednesday, May 27, we WILL be there on Tuesday, June 2nd.

PM me or talk to me @ LOG to see what our plans are. (We are NOT taking the Cherohala Skyway in, due to time constraints...rather we are taking the direct route to Deals Gap then retracing our steps in the other direction.)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Talked to Alilbrit last saturday anout this. I am definetly in! It has been a few years since ive been up there, but the roads in and around Deals Gap are outstanding. Unfortunatly, so is the Trooper coverage...

Count me in

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I'm in.....but I have to leave by early afternoon on Tuesday.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts