The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven’t already, make this part of your list. Slayed the dragon and it was Fantastic!!! The Evora exceeded my expectations. I’m driving from houston and back. Plan to put about 4K miles on the beast. 2k down so far and it’s been an absolute joy. The car has been flawless.
That was a Harley guy checking out the lotus just Fyi...
On this trip I’ve discovered that a lot of people assume lotus folded years ago. Glad to be a representative of the brand!!! Had a guy follow me for a few miles until I stopped for gas just to get a picture of his kids with the car. Unbelievable. So much fun!!!

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Sounds like a fun road trip. Did the Tail in my R8 and had a blast and need to get back there and do it in the Lotus.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
I wanna go, but I like to cruise. Would that screw up other people's time?

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
There are cutouts where you could let people pass

·
Registered
190 Posts
The minivan in front of me sure didn't mind riding their brakes the entire way down a different section of road near by the tail haha

As Redsled said there are overlooks, and cutouts for people to pull over for someone else to pass by. There are plenty of trucks and minivans on the road that I'm sure your cruising speed won't be an issue. Also depending on the day of the week you go and time of day you could probably be on the road without anyone else.

·
Hickory, NC
984 Posts
NC is full of “dragons”

We have so many other great paved roads that I’d rather spend my time on them, away from all the other sheep.
If you are serious about a good run through the Appalachians (pronounced “latch”) we would like to show you some good times without the crotch rockets, harleys, Camaros and trikes in your way. PM me.

I’m sure myself or it_fd3s can help

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Totd is a phenomenal road for sure. Been twice now, road beat me both times ( Went in my supercharged Elise and 964) But the roads surrounding are equally as great. I think they are called the Devil’s Triangle? I’m sure someone will chime in to correct me. Beautiful part of the country

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got lucky because the weather was mostly **** all day. I still was able to get some really good runs in. I went mid-morning and was able to get three runs in with not a single car in the way. On my way out, fourth run, there were cars just cruising but they all pulled over as quickly as they could to let me pass. There weren’t any troopers either which was nice.
Advice - don’t cross the yellow lines!! Many instances of oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NC is full of “dragons”

We have so many other great paved roads that I’d rather spend my time on them, away from all the other sheep.
If you are serious about a good run through the Appalachians (pronounced “latch”) we would like to show you some good times without the crotch rockets, harleys, Camaros and trikes in your way. PM me.

No doubt!! Incredible roads everywhere. Also Arkansas. Route 9 out of Mountain View was a really nice run.

·
Registered
72 Posts

As many people say, I believe that Tail of Dragon driving is an amazing experience. I live in IL and we only got straight un-interesting roads. However, I do also live in South Korea and my friends from So-Cal said the same and I do believe that there are some decent roads that are as dynamic as Tail of Dragon.But I think Tail is special because it has this track like banks on the road that makes it AWESOME and def something that car enthusiasts must experience.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I've never been there but I do go to North Carolina about once a year. I like that statue in post 1. Seems like a good backdrop for my leg-behind-the-head pose.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
NC is full of “dragons”

It's hard to believe how terrible the trikes are until you've experienced being behind one for miles. They even hold up the Harleys, and the refusal to use a pull-off is astonishing. That being said, there's is something about the atmosphere at the dragon that does make it fun even if you can only get a clean mile or so in before running up on someone. I just pull off until I see another person coming then sprint back up to the rolling obstacle and repeat. I also like the nearly total lack of intersections or houses; I think that's about the only reason it is allowed to be the tourist draw it still is.

·
Registered
2005 Elise
109 Posts
I went for the first time last year (also from houston) and am going again in august. The entire area is beautiful and we stay up there for 4 days or so just to get it all in. Defiantly a must to drive those and the surrounding roads as well.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
@Krazykevin, I belive I may have passed you on the gap before... unless there is another elise in your color with the '10/'11 Exige front clam...

anyway, great drive today with Stephen, met up with @Carlotus for a mini-meet and photo shoots... here is the route we drove and some pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
881 Posts
We've made 3 trips with the Cleveland Club, once with the Elise, twice in the '12 Evora. Lotus was engineered for that road - great trips. Our only rule was to stay in your lane.

It can be dangerous. Check out the tree of shame at Deal's Gap. A Porsche club (≈20
Dragon7May13.jpg
cars) arrived from Florida. A couple went on a night drive, wrapped the car around a tree and killed the wife. They were gone the next day.

Reactions: masti99 and DBG

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
We lost a BMW M6 on our Tail of the Dragon Rally

1 - 20 of 39 Posts