The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I order a oil filter, I get an air filter.

It seems I'm not the only one who gets the wrong part shipped. rotfl

3-25-08

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon said on Tuesday that it mistakenly shipped non-nuclear ballistic missile components to Taiwan from a U.S. Air Force base in Wyoming.

At a news conference, Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne said that the misshipped items were four nose cone assemblies for ballistic missiles. He also said they were sent instead of helicopter batteries that had been ordered by Taiwan.

Ryan Henry, the No. 2 policy official in the office of Defense Secretary Robert Gates, said President Bush was notified of the mistake and the attempts to recover the items. Henry called the mistake "disconcerting" and intolerable.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Inside job perhaps ?

We lost nukes last spring too.
What a joke, everyone is on the take or so lame in the brain they should be home in bed.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
and this brings you pleasure, because why larry?

mistakes are made, just like when someone runs their brakes to the point of metal to metal contact.

I dont get why people like to bash this country so much at every opportunity given.

we all know, you are going to tell us that if we vote for one political party this stuff will never happen ever again. its all the fault of one man for sure...............:rolleyes:

"V D P"

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
For the record, I worked on the "nuclear" missiles (ICBMs would be the more appropriate name). The nose cone is just that, an aerodynamic shield that is attached to the weapons deployment platform (the war heads). There is nothing particular special or classified or dangerous about the nose cones. I would suspect that it was simply some data entry mistakes in the databases/ordering processes.

Kind of like ordering a battery for you Chevy and getting a fender for you Honda. Not good, shouldn't happen, but the reality is that it was more than likely just a simple mistake.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
You think that's bad, wait till the goverment is in charge of your healthcare.

Edit: Oops, already stated above. :)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Inside job perhaps ?

We lost nukes last spring too.
What a joke, everyone is on the take or so lame in the brain they should be home in bed.
Inside job? What so someone could get a couple of large pieces of sheet meta?

As for the lost nukes, give it a break. :rolleyes:

We didn't "lose" any nukes. They mistakenly loaded real warheads onto a plane instead of the dummy warheads (funny, they look the same, weight the same, and act the same, as far as I know, they are even stored in the same facility since people need to practice moving, storing, and loading them onto planes - the only difference is the painted color of the tip). The nukes weren't lost and there was no danger to the public.

I'm sure that the guys that did the screw up got in major trouble (I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing a couple of hears in Leavenworth - SAC takes such things seriously). The difference is that the US lets people know what happened instead of hiding the information, and takes steps to ensure that it doesn't happen again. That's more than lots of countries do...

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Well, at least the person taking the order didn't select the option for nuclear missles instead of the standard non-nuclear missle option. (okay, ICBM).

Order Form

Quantity: ____

Type:

_ ICBM
_ Non ICBM

Ship to: ________________

Bill to: ________________

Payment Mehtod:

__ Wire
__ FedEX
__ Check
__ Credit Card: __ Mastercard __ Visa __ Discover
__ PayPal

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
What's most interesting is the shipment occurred in March of 2005...it's taken three years for the Taiwanese government to unpack the boxes apparently. We found out about it after they notified us. It's a bit of a big deal because our new-found friends in Mainland China don't see batteries for missile warheads as a clerical error. We'll be spending a lot of time (and probably money) to smooth it over with them.

Just be happy that the government doesn't handle your medical care.
Why? I'd guess under any system, my medical care still would be handled by a qualified doctor. I don't anticipate being operated on by an elected official
anytime soon.

Tom

·
Registered
856 Posts
Why? I'd guess under any system, my medical care still would be handled by a qualified doctor. I don't anticipate being operated on by an elected official
anytime soon.

Tom
You may still have a doctor, but some government tool will be the one making the decision about whether or not you "qualify". :(

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
our new-found friends in Mainland China don't see batteries for missile warheads as a clerical error.
IT was "nose cone", not warhead. It is the sheet metal over the top of the missile that provides clean aerodynamics during launch and then is ejected. The warheads (and guidance systems, reaction control system, etc.) are located under the nose cones (shroud). It was just a piece of sheet metal, not a bomb. Kind of like the hood (nose cone) of a car covering the engine (warhead).

But makes good headlines to spout when people don't understand the difference (and the average person doesn't).

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
IT was "nose cone", not warhead. It is the sheet metal over the top of the missile that provides clean aerodynamics during launch and then is ejected. The warheads (and guidance systems, reaction control system, etc.) are located under the nose cones (shroud). It was just a piece of sheet metal, not a bomb. Kind of like the hood (nose cone) of a car covering the engine (warhead).

But makes good headlines to spout when people don't understand the difference (and the average person doesn't).
Oops! Ummm, that was my clerical error...;) You are of course correct. I'm hip to ICBMs, too. My father headed JSTPS (Joint Strategic Target Planning Staff) at SAC from '72 to '75. Any missile parts making their way to Taiwan still raises the Chinese alert level. Even when its just the result of a foul-up.

Tom

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
One of my very good friends was a former chemst for the Taiwanese Military-Chemicals Weapons Unit :evil:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Oops! Ummm, that was my clerical error...;) You are of course correct. I'm hip to ICBMs, too. My father headed JSTPS (Joint Strategic Target Planning Staff) at SAC from '72 to '75. Any missile parts making their way to Taiwan still raises the Chinese alert level. Even when its just the result of a foul-up.

Tom
Or planned. As a joke, 2 bird colonels and a major targeted the missile statue in front of HQ SAC, to 200yds east of it's launch point, CINCSAC's desk. He was not amused. This was around '75, I was 3 floors underground then and getting reassigned to a 1st floor vault. This was part of my Security briefing as to what not to do with the access I was being given.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Wait, nobody thought this might not be a mistake? Why would Taiwan hold onto the missiles?

How often does china shoot "practice missiles" over the Taiwan Straight?

Why would Taiwan wait till china is in the hot seat with Tibet to announce to the world they have some US missile stuff sitting around.

I dont know, but I highly doubt this is a "simple mistake" that went unreported and undetected for 2 years.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Also, this could just be a move by the new KMT guy to show good face to China? Hey look, we are getting ride of what the old guy was wanting to use against you?

Just throwing some pretty random stuff out there....

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Maybe we are just trying to keep those commies on their toes?
Okay, time for a story from an old friend (he worked with the early nuclear weapons programs). As far as I know it is true, and since his career was spent working on nuclear warheads, I have no reason to doubt it. I've also had the story confirmed by someone on the military side of things (still, it could have some urban myth to it - but I'm not betting on it).

Some background info: Our warheads have all kinds of safeties incorporated into them - things like sensors that monitor the air pressure, heat, timers, etc. Basically the warheads are launched, and they are expected to start re-entering within in a fairly narrow time period. The pressure sensors indicate when it's re-entering the atmosphere. Then it can detect the angle of re-entry by the times, the rate of change of air pressure, etc. If everything isn't just right, the warhead doesn't arm (and there are several arming steps that have to happen or it is just a big hunk of metal falling from the sky. Pretty smart, pretty fool proof, very complicated. It will be actually more amazing if they actually work rather than going off when they shouldn't.

The reason that this is all interesting, is because my old friend, was involved in an intentional leak of information to the Russians during the early days of the cold war. You see, they didn't have much in the way of safeties (as in none) incorporate in their warheads. So the US "leaked" some of their classified technology in order to help the Russians (Commies) make safer warheads.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
^ Sounds like a very smart idea to me. Whats wrong with that kind of a leak?

We should have more of those! Might have stopped a reactor from melting?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts