The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has a crack on the back clam. I thought it was the vynal stripe at first. After changing the vynal two time, I realized that, it is the paint that has the crack.

Am I right? is it the paint? or the fiberglass?

How to fix it?

Attachments

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
:huh:

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
If you used a camera and not a camera phone, it has a macro setting. Helps with the focus. I don't have an answer to your question, but looking at your photos made my eyes hurt.

·
Registered
725 Posts
As others have said, in-focus pics would help.

Kind of looks like the same weak and impact-prone area I have been repairing on my rear clam.

I'm not a professional bodyman, but an avid hobbyist, and also an engineer by trade. Maybe others have more experience.

But in my opinion, unless its a bad paint job - you really shouldn't get cracked paint on top of fiberglass. Is it a repaint?

Metal and especially urethane bumpers can deform (plastic deformation) before cracking, thus paint cracks on top when the underlying material gives way. Fiberglass, on the other hand, doesn't really have any sort of plastic deformation before it cracks. Most composites fail through cracking (delamination, pure tension) or otherwise, rather than bending or denting.

So, if you see spidercracks on fiberglass, there is likely some sort of damage underneath. I know some have said that there is no gel coat on these cars - I disagree partly, as there is some harder white layer underneath the factory primer that is not reinforced with fiber. To me, this is a gel coat, however it was applied in the mold or afterwards (although I think the latter defies the definition of gel coat in the normal sense).

Anyway, without ANY clear pictures and an understanding that you have some cracking visible, my expectation is that there is at least some minor cracking of this hard, unreinforced gel coat underneath. Is this a major problem? Doubt it. Will it get worse? If you kick it, yes. Will water absorb in through the cracks and destroy the fiberglass from within? Unlikely, but if the crack goes as deep as the reinforced fiber portion of the glass, then it is possible.

Most likely this is just a superficial spider crack in the paint and very top layer of the gelcoat.

Based on the picture, it could also be a strip of melted rubber from too many burnouts...:no:

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Putting the camera right up to what you want to take a picture of does not always work out so well. Stand farther away and then use the zoom to zoom in. Hold the button down halfway to let the camera focus and then push the button all the way. Picture should be taken. Make sure the camera in in the auto mode. You could try that. If you can find the macro setting on your camera (the flower icon I think) turn it on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It appears as though the body itself is cracked, which also means the paint is cracked. I would think you should be able to see the crack from inside the trunk. On the positive side it can be structurally reinforced from the inside to prevent it from cracking further.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
it looks like you got the black/yellow car from babelli.... and my mom said i should not say anything else !

to answer you question - both.

...i'll shut up now.

·
Registered
725 Posts
So this is a black car with yellow stripes? The yellow stripes are vinyl or are they painted? Kind of looks like the yellow paint went on waay too thick and cracked as it dried.... Rub some talc on the nearby black factory paint and see if it picks up any cracks... If there are none, this is probably just an issue with the vinyl or thick nasty paint layer - whichever that is... which is good because then the clam underneath should be OK.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like a black car with a bad yellow stripe job. Do you see where the yellow bled into the black because of improper masking? Probably needs a complete redo to make it right.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
First, i didn't get this car from babelli. They were selling this car for me for .... a year, but no one was buying.. (something wrong with the dealer i believe).

The yellow strip was done 4.5 years ago. The spider crack started at 3 years ago. I thought it was vinyl problem before, but after changing the vinyl two time, the crack still there and it gets bigger.

After 4.5 years of sunlight, the stripe turns to lighter color, so I applied a light layer of yellow paint on the top of it (by hand)... Then the paint cracked as well.

I will remove those stripes, but how to fix the fiberglass? just repaint it? (those are original paint).

Need help

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.