The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amigos,

I'm powdercoating the fuel filler door but think its probably best to disassemble the hinge prior to taking it to the shop. it appears this is only held in place by two pins. Should i just pop these out to take the door off of the base? whats the best way to do this? any responses by noon would be really appreciated, i'm going to try and take it over to the shop over lunch.

p.s. kings coatings in allentown did another fantastic job with my rims (satin black powdercoating). Pics to follow in separate thread.

·
Registered
813 Posts
FWIW, I did the opposite and had only the rim powdercoated, and they were able to do it without taking it apart. I think the pins are press-fit, my concern would be re-press-fitting the pins to put it back together. Before taking it apart, I'd ask them about masking off the rim.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Amigos,

I'm powdercoating the fuel filler door but think its probably best to disassemble the hinge prior to taking it to the shop. it appears this is only held in place by two pins. Should i just pop these out to take the door off of the base? whats the best way to do this? any responses by noon would be really appreciated, i'm going to try and take it over to the shop over lunch.

p.s. kings coatings in allentown did another fantastic job with my rims (satin black powdercoating). Pics to follow in separate thread.
A good shop can coat the door without dismantling. I once purchased one so coated from Fox Valley.

I also tried once to take one apart, it is an unbelievable b*tch to take apart.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome great input i'll see if they can p-coat assembled.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
How about taking it off the car, is there a secret? I removed the hex nuts and it still didn't want to budge. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no secret, other than make sure you tape off the overflow hole in case one of the nuts from behind decides to fall out. I did and it saved my ass, as one of them popped lose and landed right where i had put the tape. After you remove the six bolts it should pop right off. mine was slightly "welded" to the car from some wax residue left over from the dealer, but other than that it came right off.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Interesting, I tugged on it pretty damn hard, hard enough to flex the fiberglass around it. I'll try it again, and thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I didn't read this post first and didn't tape off the overflow. Lost a washer. Any recommendations? Leave it alone? Magnet on a string? Turn the car upside down and shake?...

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I didn't read this post first and didn't tape off the overflow. Lost a washer.

You are one of a number of people here that have done that. :(

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I didn't read this post first and didn't tape off the overflow. Lost a washer. Any recommendations? Leave it alone? Magnet on a string? Turn the car upside down and shake?...
To answer your question, if it's not in the filler neck and is just in the overflow, I would leave it.

I had a washer and screw (from the filler lid) fall into the gas tank of my Seven. Fished it out with a magnet attachment on the end of a 4 ft flexible fiberoptic camera. It took about 2 hours to find it and snag it. If it had fallen into the overflow I would have just left it.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
when i was re installing my gas door.i dropped a few nuts down the tube.i pulled the tube out of the zip tie and straitened the hose out.they all fell out along with 4 or 5 extras i guess from the factory workers loosing some down there too.so now i have extras.taping the hole off is a good idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts