The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading several posts about how their car is "taken care" of and I just think it's absurd. I don't understand one bit why.

It's hardly an expensive car, it's designed to be bare bones, driven fast and not much else. It's not comfortable, it's loud, hot, small.

Now before someone implies I run my stuff to the ground with no maintenance or care, that is so far from the truth. BUT I USE my stuff. I don't own a car museum, and I never will.

From a few posts...

Don't drive car in the rain.. Someone even told me that I was neglecting my car because it's out in the rain! rotfl

Don't let it get in the bright sun
Take shoes off before getting in
10 rolls of tape applied so it won't get bugs or oh no GASP a rock chip.
Must keep miles low so it's worth more
Infatuation with car fax... like it's the "bible" to the car being ok?
Car has a repaint on a piece or was in a accident.... now it's not usable? Big deal, it happens. Get a good deal on it when it goes for sale and be happy.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It's all relative, there are users who to them this is an expensive car so they treat it like a million dollar Ferrari or maybe people have more pride in their car than you just like some of my neighbors have the most amazing yards I want the most amazing car, I just don't have as much pride in the house yet I still drive my car on the track because that's what I personally bought it for. I know I will have nicer cars in the future but for now this is my dream car so why not treat it like one?

Plus its a hobby whether it be cleaning it or driving it or working on it

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Its really whatever you want to do with it. I detail my car after every drive even if its just to the gas station. Ive never pealed out nor turned a corner crazy fast. If the radar shows rain my car sits. I drive mine about 5000 miles a year and love it!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I detail my Evora S after every ride, but I also wash my other 3 “regular” cars weekly. My “non-regular” cars also get detailed after every ride, although they do not go out as much.

And, although my house may not be the biggest on my street, my house and yard is also kept spotless.

My neighbors, family and co-workers literally line up and wait for me to sell something. They actually put dibs on my cars when I first buy them.:clap:

My Evora S has never seen rain. But why would it? I have 3 other 2012 brand new vehicles to drive (total of 4 regular cars) and only it’s only me and my wife. (And she can’t drive stick.) I park the S in the winter for the same reason.

My therapy is washing and waxing cars. I’ve been doing this since I bought my first one, and will do it until I can’t drive any longer.

Some people like ‘em clean, some like ‘em dirty. Some don’t care either way.
I say, unless you’re paying for it…..to each their own.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Elise is not the only car I have, it's just a toy, as are my 2 Jeeps. Aside from those three I have a TDI Jetta that is my daily driver, and a Ram 2500 that I use to haul whatever and also pull my trailer.

I have 2 garages, one has all the yard equipment in it. Tractor, Lawn mower, gas, chainsaws, etc.

The other is my workshop, rarely used for just parking vehicles in. If there is something parked in there, it's because it's being worked on.
I'd love to have another garage just for parking in, but would be expensive to build as I'd need to relocate my septic.

That means everything is out in the weather, rain, snow or shine. The Ram is almost 15 years old with 240,000 miles and the paint still looks great on it.

Just think it's quite interesting to be condemned for not spending 8 hours a day polishing a $20,000 car! Between 2 full time jobs, a small farm and daily chores my days are 18-20hrs long as is!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I drive my car regularly in all conditions.... I drive at 4AM to work and it's parked there for hours. I drove 5000 miles in one month after my purchase :)

I can be very anal about my car, but a black car is so hard to maintain so I practically gave up detailing it very frequently... unless I'm going to a car meet or something important. If I could keep it clean, I would. I do wax and detail at least once a month to keep my paint protected as well as my interior.

However, people who own these cars should take care of these cars to some degree. I mean.... the previous owner did not have a garage, never waxed/detailed it, and kept it in New Jersey of all places. I spent 3 days detailing the car and it still needs more work to get all the scratches out.

I do try to drive the Lotus only when it's nice out and drive the other cars... but I gave the mini to my cousin to drive to school and the Subaru is in the paint booth unfortunately. Once I get her back, the Lotus will probably become a garage queen.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Out of my three sports cars, I only don't drive the D regularly. The 'vette and the Lotus both see "daily driver" duty. I like to keep them presentably clean, but I don't fully detail them or anything like that.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Just think it's quite interesting to be condemned for not spending 8 hours a day polishing a $20,000 car! Between 2 full time jobs, a small farm and daily chores my days are 18-20hrs long as is!
I'm not sure why you feel condemned for not polishing your car. After all, its your car. Who cares what other people think or say. As long as you are happy with it.

But, on the other hand, you posted...
"I have been reading several posts about how their car is "taken care" of and I just think it's absurd. I don't understand one bit why."
And yet, I don't think it's absurd to detail my $95,000 car after every ride.

I spent over $170,000 on three cars in less than a year. I'm not trying to brag by any means, as there are a lot of people who spend 2x more than that on just one car. And they have several. My point is that I have a significant investment in my cars. As poor of an investment cars are (and, i surely know they are!!) , I still want to minimize my losses.

And I still love to wash, wax and work on them. I like shiny, clean cars.
I see filthy dirty cars drive past me all the time. Doesn't bother me at all.
I don't take offense when people make fun of my clean car, to me its a compliment.

When I was much younger, I spent less than $1,000 on a car that I also routinely washed and waxed. It was the most I could affford at the time while living on my own and paying every bill on time. But I worked hard to buy that car myself and I was proud of that car too.

So, I guess it really doesn't matter how much the car cost me. I still keep them clean. I guess I'm just very anal..rotfl

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There isn't wrong with keeping it clean. If you have the time and like doing it, have fun.
I'm talking about taking it up 10 notches and taking shoes off, not having a car out in the rain, etc.... that is what I'm not understanding. If that is what you want to do, have fun, BUT don't think it's unusual if the other 95% of us don't.

I have a few messages from some members more or less saying I should be burned at the stake for leaving my car out in the rain and actually USING it.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I've put 30K miles on my car in the 2.5 years I've had it (and this in Chicago winter storage). I drive the hell out of it.

That being said, I usually 'wash' it after every other use. It's yellow and gets filthy. I use some 'waterless' wash - the Optimum No Rinse. Bucket, wipe down with microfiber sponge and dry with hand held leaf blower and microfiber towels. My kids love helping and it literally takes 8 minutes tops.

I'll do the proper wash about once a week in the summer (that's probably driving every day). Using the coin on self wash (bring quarters and some towels), it takes about 7 minutes.

Get is professionally detailed (clay, polish, wax) once a season.

Keep in min, I keep ALL of my cars insanely clean. That's just how I like to roll. Pisses me off when my wife has the typical 'mom' SUV with kid's sh*t everywhere, receipts, McDonalds fries, etc.

Translation: If you want to be the 'quick waterless wash/wipedown' after every drive or every other drive, there's no car on the planet better for that then the Elise (maybe a Miata). It literally takes 10 minutes. My wife's Infiniti QX56 tank would take 45 min to an hour.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have been reading several posts about how their car is "taken care" of and I just think it's absurd. I don't understand one bit why.

It's hardly an expensive car, it's designed to be bare bones, driven fast and not much else. It's not comfortable, it's loud, hot, small.

Now before someone implies I run my stuff to the ground with no maintenance or care, that is so far from the truth. BUT I USE my stuff. I don't own a car museum, and I never will.

From a few posts...

Don't drive car in the rain.. Someone even told me that I was neglecting my car because it's out in the rain! rotfl

Car has a repaint on a piece or was in a accident.... now it's not usable? Big deal, it happens. Get a good deal on it when it goes for sale and be happy.
Live and let live.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
I needed to take the Evora in for the 1000 mile service. Appointment set up, hour away, heavy rain, in the dark :( Not what I'd planned for the fine new ride.

Along the way it became very evident to me that this car handles so well that the rain made the drive more enjoyable. Let's face it, there are few legal ways for a Lotus' dynamic capabilities to be flexed off a track. It's just like most any car until it suddenly isn't.

But having one for pride of ownership or babe magnet or status symbol or just because you feel good to see it in the garage is to be treasured as well.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have 2 garages, one has all the yard equipment in it. Tractor, Lawn mower, gas, chainsaws, etc.
Picture of tractor and chainsaw please (Huskvarna and Kubota for me)

I don't keep my car excruciatingly clean. My son washes and vacuums it for me. I do the maintenance more often than the factory recommends and I'll drive it whenever I want to. I don't much care if it gets caught in the rain. It has a roof. (my last fun car did not)

I used to be obsessed with cars and keeping them spotless. Just have different priorities now. I once took a week off of work to detail our BMW 320i in prep for a concours show. Now, that's obsessive.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My opinion is, you may be having a hard time seeing past your own personal opinions to understand why others might think differently than you. :p :p :p

Someone even told me that I was neglecting my car because it's out in the rain! rotfl .
I told you that. The rules may be different up there in AK. But here in LA, the only cars that are stored outdoors are crappy cars and cars that are owned by people who don't have/ can't afford garages. When it comes to me buying a car, I will only buy from someone who has cared for the car properly...'properly' is subjectively defined by me (the buyer) because it is my money I will be spending.

When you live in a part of the world that is much nearer to the equator than you, a car with thin and/or bright paint will fade QUICKLY if left out in the sun for long periods on a daily basis. The sun is brighter and stronger way down here. I've seen two year old cars here in SoCal that are terribly faded because they are stored outside. No one wants a new (or new to them) car that looks like crap.
Some people take their shoes off before walking into their homes also. Shoes are dirty and some people don't want that dirt in their car. If having clean carpets somehow adds to their enjoyment of the car, who are we to judge that?

I'm guessing, but, I'd bet you've never taken a car to a track day. Or if you have, you've never had to deal with track damage from a rock or a chunk of rubber hitting your car at 145mph.

I agree with you here. In my opinion, cars are meant to be driven. They are almost always a poor investment, no matter how few miles are on the clock. None the less, others derive enjoyment because they are preserving something they perceive as collectible. One way to do that is by never driving the thing. It's a bit like how a collector will buy a toy and never open the box. If that is how someone generates joy/happiness, who are we to judge?

People who are buying a car can use whatever criteria they like to determine the car that is best for them. If they want a car that has had no prior damage, or if they want a car that has never seen a repaint, they are within their right to use whatever data is available to make a purchase decision. Ecu dumps and carfaxes are examples of quantitative data. The availability of quantitative data in a mostly seller-filtered, qualitative data-filled transaction, that can be a huge help.

I'd love to have another garage just for parking in, but would be expensive to build as I'd need to relocate my septic.
Why would you love to have a garage to park cars in? Judging by your original post, you sound perfectly happy to leave your cars out in the weather.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I only drive on wet gravel roads in the rain and have removed my starshield on purpose. I pray for hail alot.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think I said I was "happy" to leave anything outside, just I don't really have a choice and it's not worrying to me.

It'd be nice to get in a warm car in the winter too, vs cleaning snow/ice off when it's -30*

Why would you love to have a garage to park cars in? Judging by your original post, you sound perfectly happy to leave your cars out in the weather.
I rains often here, if there was no driving in the rain I'd get to use the car maybe a couple weeks a year. I don't plan on driving it in the winter and there is snow on the ground from October to May so that only gives me about 4 months of "summer" to start out with.

·
Registered
471 Posts
......Must keep miles low so it's worth more.....

I am an avid member of an MR2 Spyder forum, and there is a member who has a signature which goes something like: "Keeping the miles low on your spyder in ordert to maintain resale value is like not having sex with your wife so the next guy is happier with her...."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts