The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just found out there is a autocross track this weekend at an old airforce base. I cant wait to see how she performs. I got a buddy with a viper that braggs all the time how his is a little faster... (on paper) I am trying to get him to go with this weekend. anybody tracked against a gts viper. it is older 1997 with less hp than the new ones. by the way i have a p.u.k. stage 2 with bov ordered but not in for this weekend. This kid has a but load of money and i cant wait to get my chip installed...but will not tell him, and he wants to run head to head one day.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'd imagine that autocross could be difficult for an Esprit. a really broad powerband helps out in autocross and quick shifting.......both things that are not Esprit strong suits.

I guess it really depends on how the cones are setup.

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you want every bit of power, make sure to check your throttle cable is getting 100%.

Let us know how it goes and have fun!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Auto-X is hard on cars, and doesn't suit an Esprit very well...but if you're hell bent on doing it, have fun I suppose...

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Some things to do before you run it really hard:
Check the tire pressures and you should go above the standard driving pressures
Make sure all of the lug nuts are torqued
As mentioned check for full throttle opening
Check all fluids
Remove as much loose stuff in the car as you can
If you have a helmet and gloves you should use them.
Get the tires warmed up before you push them hard.
Don't let the fuel go below 1/2 tank

David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
395 Posts
Auto-X is hard on cars, and doesn't suit an Esprit very well...but if you're hell bent on doing it, have fun I suppose...
For auto-X I prefer my Elan M100 while for track use the Esprit is the perfect tool for the job. A lot of clubs offer track days where you can join them and have one of their experienced drivers ride with you to show you the ropes. Around here the BMW club and the Porsche club are both quite active (and they are happy to invite other cars to their events). The Esprit is great on the track and proabbly a bigger kick in the pants than auto-X.

In any case -- most any car driving event is something I think is a blast and the more the better!

Knut

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
autocross is of course 99.95% driver. It is hardly a good place for a grudge match of cars. You guys will probably both be beat by a good driver in some sort of econobox.

That being said, it is a tremondous challange and alot of fun. have a good time and be safe......and look ahead.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
When I was young, I used to autocross an MGB-GT and then a 240Z and had a great time and did pretty well. When I got my Esprit years later (13 years ago), I thought it would be fun to take another jab at autocross. I found the course just too tight for the Esprit.

The course is designed for weekend warriors, often driving their daily commuter Miatas or 20 year old CRXs. It's cheap autosports fun (things that don't usually go together) for the masses. The Esprit was just out of it's element. With a V8, you may fare a little better with respect to torque, but the size will still be a problem.

Auto-x is about maintaining momentum, and the wide stance of the Esprit in a tight course is just not the recipe. I only did it once, then as others above suggested, I just did track days. Still, any chance to drive fast is usually a great time, so I think you'll have a blast. Just don't get hung up on the results.

Edit - Try to set up for a little bit of easy oversteer if you're not already. If you're pushing on those tight, slow turns, you don't have a chance.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Again if the aim is to prove the car's prowess against the viper, head to the 1/4 mile track. Autocross is a whole different animal that is all about driver skill and precision. Sure a esprit is not an ideal autocross partner, but you might be suprised what time an experienced driver could set in one.

Your mentality should be "how can I improve" rather than "that guy in an 87 hp miata is only faster because he has sweet tires".

Most of all have fun, autocross is really the only venue where you can drive a car past its limits with minimal reprecussions.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would also advise changing the brake fluid BEFORE going to the event. Old brake fluid with years of water absorption will be MUCH more prone to having bad fad problems as you heat the brakes up beyond the point of water boiling.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the auto x was the funnest thing that i have done... viper did not go but you guys are right...99% driver. I rode with a looked like stock corvette before my run to learn the track. what i did not notice that he trailered it in and had all slicks on the car. Before i got in i thought to myself i should be able to beat this guys time. So we take off holly ..... this guy was so good at driving i could feel his tires run over the lips of the cones as we went around the course. His time was 55 sec... at the end of his 6 th run he was down to 50 something. long story short my last and best time was 56 sec. And yes i got beat buy some stupid cars that will not say but this place looked like a nascar garage before we started because they were putting on slicks, spraying down intercoolers,etc. I pulled in and just raced. overall great experience.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Some people take autocrossing very seriously. There are local, regional, and even national events. some guys travel all around chasing points to earn their way to the national finals.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
If you want every bit of power, make sure to check your throttle cable is getting 100%.

Let us know how it goes and have fun!
Speaking of checking for 100% throttle -- WOT -- I just bought an Innova 3130 OBD scanner and also an OBD to USB cable and loaded my laptop with Peter Maeers scan software... But I'm not sure of the procedure for checking for WOT... How's that done, with either/or device?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Confirm with the OBD for sure but an easy visual check is to have someone floor the pedal (engine off of course) and check to make sure the throttle bell crank on the rear of the throttle body is opened all the way.

·
Registered
667 Posts
But I'm not sure of the procedure for checking for WOT... How's that done, with either/or device?
Yes, look for "TPS" (as in "throttle position sensor"). On my OBDII software there is a tab/page that shows a bunch of sensor readings like temperature and TPS. An easy way to find it is to keep pressing the pedal slowly and look for one that is changing.

Then once you've located it, floor the pedal and see what number you get. Then a quick bending of the pedal will get you back to 100%.

My throttle was only getting 82%, so this was well worth it! I will be adding a bracket soon to keep it in the new position.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts