The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Evora S IPS for 2 months now and have 1000 miles on it. So, I have arranged for the first service. This isn't at the dealership where I bought the car and even then it's still a 110 mile trip each way. Issues I have noticed and also seen documented in this forum (thanks for all the contribution and education!):

- Flaking of the coating on the headlights.
- A-pillar crack on the driver's side
- Driver's door has a has 2 gaps where the window "seals". Allows water to accumulate until you open the door and allows water onto the leather covered sill.
- There is a gap between the bottom of the windshield and the plastic covering that is screwed onto the window frame. I've never seen a car where the bottom of the windshield was visible. Is this common?

I purchased this car elsewhere and all of these were there when it came off the truck (the headlight flaking was slight but of course has grown now). Other than a software update, anything else I should be looking out for?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just updated my software for the ECU and TCU. Eliminates alot of the issues, especially with the downshifts and upshifts between gears 2 to 3 causing the car to be jerky

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Some suggestions:

1) Any bubbling on our dash or side sills;
2) How's your trunk liner holding up. Is it starting to peel off?;
3) All buttons working properly (including gas cap and glove box release)
4) Any warping on the headliner by the windshield? You'll start to see a gap from the outside of the car
5) Turn your steering wheel from lock to lock several time, any clicking noises while turning (that's my current issue)
6) A/C and heater working fine?
7) If you have a 2+2, is the rear seat starting to lift?
8) How high do you have to lift the parking brake before the brake light illuminates?
9) Any bubbling on the Star Shield?
10) Does your cruise control work?
11) Check to see if the Oil cooler recall applies to you (though it may not).

I'll update this if anything else comes to mind.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Btw my dash where my pioneer unit makes a squeaky sound when driving on a bumpy road, another member on this forum had this, does that qualify for warranty work? It's not an issue and dosnt detract from te driving experience

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
911 Posts
One small issue I have with my 2013 is the driver's side mirror shakes slightly while driving. Not on bumpy roads, pretty much just from wind. This is most noticeable at night because it blurs headlights from the car behind me. They confirmed the issue on my first service and said it would be covered under warranty. I haven't fixed this yet (she's tucked in for winter), but they said they've only heard of this issue on Evora's with power mirrors. But, mine doesn't have power mirrors...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
They all have power mirrors. It's just the switch that needs to be swapped out. You should be able to find a thread on it.

·
Happy To Be Here
911 Posts
They all have power mirrors. It's just the switch that needs to be swapped out. You should be able to find a thread on it.
Sorry, I meant to say power folding mirrors. Mine fold manually.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Sorry, I meant to say the same as well. It turns out when Lotus sourced these parts, they all came with the motors. So, although they sold power folding mirrors as a $500 option (or something like that...), all you really need is a $50 switch. If you do a search, you'll find the thread. Or you can even look up my old posts as I did the mod just to say I truly had every single option offered on 2011 NA's!

·
Illegal Alien
5,306 Posts
One small issue I have with my 2013 is the driver's side mirror shakes slightly while driving. ... they said they've only heard of this issue on Evora's with power mirrors. But, mine doesn't have power mirrors...
doesn't make sense, since all the mirrors are the same, power folding or not???

·
Happy To Be Here
911 Posts
doesn't make sense, since all the mirrors are the same, power folding or not???
It doesn't make that much sense to me either. This is just what a representative from Lotus told my dealership. It's a rare issue either way. They said for Evoras with power fold mirrors, the fix is to cyle them once or twice; this would make sense to me if the housing was vibrating. My mirror is shaking within the housing (from what I can tell). But I agree, I'm not sure why there would be a difference.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mine have been wobbly from day 1. I have a warranty request in with my dealer along with a few other minor things, waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
I was told that "they all do that" from my dealer. I thought it strange since the passenger mirror doesn't do it...
Ours never has.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
mine does a little bit sometimes, but never terribly. I haven't really cared enough to notice, though it does seem quite intermittent and since I cycle my mirrors everytime I park, maybe that is in fact a fix.

Either way it's worth buying the switch :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I speculate that the mirror can vibrate in the wind if the mechanism isn't run fully against the stop. For those with the power window option, the fix is simply to cycle them closed and then fully open.

Unfortunately--if you don't have the switch, then you can't cycle them.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
My mirrors do that too :cool:

texevora: Please let me know what Park Place says about it when you take it in. I'm curious if they'll actually fix it. If so, I'll take mine in for it too.

·
Illegal Alien
5,306 Posts
I was told that "they all do that" from my dealer. I thought it strange since the passenger mirror doesn't do it...
My too, the fact that the passenger mirror is as steady as a rock proves that the vibrating driver mirror is a part defect not the inability to design a mirror than does not vibrate. I took my car in for warranty on the mirror and the mods (?) greatly improved it while not taking all vibration out, it is to the point that it is not bothersome so I will leave well enough alone. While soon after this fix I did add the folding mirror switch, I have not noticed a correlation, but then I was not looking for it.

I used to be extremely anal on warranty / cosmetic fixes and over time found that the solution or result of solution may be worse than the original complaint; for example well into the warranty period, I complained that a felt gasket worked its way out from under my shift lever on my Acura, did it cause a squeak or rattle, no; a visual defect, no .. but I wanted it fixed for the principal of no defects. Well little did I know that such felt was a part of the CF console plate .. to fix it they had to replace the whole panel but this new parts CF weave didn’t quite match the rest of the console CF trim, so replaced again, all was great then in about a thousand odd miles bubbles appeared within the weave .. now for 20k miles later I look at these imperfects daily and point out to myself, sometimes better to leave well enough alone.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Some suggestions:

1) Any bubbling on our dash or side sills;
2) How's your trunk liner holding up. Is it starting to peel off?;
3) All buttons working properly (including gas cap and glove box release)
4) Any warping on the headliner by the windshield? You'll start to see a gap from the outside of the car
5) Turn your steering wheel from lock to lock several time, any clicking noises while turning (that's my current issue)
6) A/C and heater working fine?
7) If you have a 2+2, is the rear seat starting to lift?
8) How high do you have to lift the parking brake before the brake light illuminates?
9) Any bubbling on the Star Shield?
10) Does your cruise control work?
11) Check to see if the Oil cooler recall applies to you (though it may not).

I'll update this if anything else comes to mind.
AG - using this list in a positive way, i can say check with a nil outcome to all of those issues:) -

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I just got my car back today and here's two additional issue they found:

1) The "A" on the "Evora" badge was missing are replaced. So, check your letters;
2) I advised them it was hard to shift to 3rd only to third and only recently. They found the shifter ball was not properly lubricated.

I forgot to mention the driver side mirror vibrates slightly but it's not too bad.

Hope Lotus comes through with a dealer (or even a service center) in the Phoenix area. Kind of hard to say goodbye after I've made 20-30 trips there over the past 13 months.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Quite a laundry list for a first time warranty service. Definitely a turnoff for those of us who might be considering a purchase. Seems like it might be cost effective for them to ship the car back to England to address all of those items.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts