The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im moving to the US next month, was planning to sell my Elise but I cant bear to :(

So I was thinking about bringing her with me :) :cool:

Couple of questions though:

Insurance? Will I need to use a US based company or can I use my current UK based one?

Keeping it? I believe I can only keep the car unregistered in the States for a year. And because of the emmisions rules I will not be able to register it, hence have to send her back :( Is this accurate? Are then any ways of being able to keep the car in the States for longer?

And lastly, anything else I need to consider?

Thanks, and see you sson :D

PS attached a picture of my car so you can see why I really want to keep it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Mark,
I replied on seloc also, to expand on the importation issue, some states have limited use registrations for show purposes etc. strictly speaking as I understand it you're limited in the mileage per year.

Someone here can perhaps expand on the one year importation and potential ways around it as well as insurance issues (I'm inclined to think you'll need US based insurance since you'll be resident here)
Chris
PS>Nice car!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The 'show' import with limited mileage is a very, very rare case. A particular model must be approved for it, and there are many tough conditions to meet. Historical significance, never sold in the US, no longer in production, those are just a few that come to mind. Some examples of cars that have been approved: Bugatti EB110, McLaren F1, Porsche 959, Jaguar XJ220.

It's possible to import cars for display in a museum only, though that's tough. Could be brought in for race-only. If you're a car dealership, I believe you can put the temporary dealer plates on a non–registered car like that to legally drive it on the streets.

You'll face two challenges in bringing it to this country. First, getting it through customs and onto the street. Sounds like you figured that one out though. So, to register it. Your best bet there is to swap out the Rover powerplant for a US-legal powertrain, such as the Honda (K20? something like that). You'd then seek to register the car as a 'kit car' or something similar.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Bring your UK Elise with you and put a deposit on a USA Elise now. In a year when your number is called you can send the UK Elise home.

Patrick
2005 Elise

·
Registered
413 Posts
There's another U.K. S2 in the states- North Carolina- and he must return his car after one year. I can find his email if you're interested. From what I understand, the Elise will NOT qualify for the "show and display" exemption (which is very expensive anyway) because the model is now imported here. Get on the list here for a new U S left-hand driver. I would think shipping yours here and then back in 12 mos. would be costly (unless your employer will pay)

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Take a look at this:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

specifically the "temporary importation guidelines" section.

All the forms and everything you'll need are right there.

And yes, one year max - at that point you have the option to either send it back or have the DOT crush it for you - free of charge ;).

I'm fairly sure you have to get insurance here. I believe that I need to get different insurance if I want to drive in Mexico - so I would imagine it's the same for you coming here. Your insurance company should be able to answer that question for you. If you do bring your UK insurance, keep in mind the minimums required in each state - most require at least liability insurance; several require uninsured motorist coverage.

Lastly, you need to consider the shipping costs and time tables. You will not be able to put her on a boat and pick her up when the boat gets here - there's lots of fees and paperwork and customs to deal with. You might want to talk to Joe @ prototype racing about his Exige importation with regards to shipping and customs. It seems like the average price to bring a car over from Europe is around $3-4K US.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
BrianK said:
It seems like the average price to bring a car over from Europe is around $3-4K US.
I think you would not have to pay duty or taxes as it is a temporary import and the transport can be done for around $1K or so, I would start making some calls.

Patrick
2005 Elise LHD:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts