The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I'm almost tempted to buy another Elise just to do this. If it all works out and people are happy with the end result, how easy will it be to order more? Would you still need a minimum order of 10 units?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
as of right now we are still looking for 10 people to be on board for the first order then go from there. So if i can get 10 people interested we will get started asap.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
so now you have two screen names?

is that permitted?
It's a violation of forum rules, but I'm already procrastinating enough (I'm technically working on my tax return right now ;) ), we'll deal with it later. We've allowed a few exceptions for paying sponsors but that's it.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
so now you have two screen names?

is that permitted?

It certainly is not permitted without being cleared first. :rolleyes:

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
RnD, The Saint, lawnguy.....Identical first posts in threads.....this is getting confusing. How can you both say you're taking over because someone sold their car? :shrug:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
thesaint SOLD his car...i am taking over the project for him. I made a new name to keep things seperate from my original name. I had no idea it was such a huge deal to you guys and if it really bothers you that much than i will just use my lawn guy account to do this but i just like to be organized and keep things as seperate as I can to make sure everything goes correctly and return everyones pm's and so i felt it would be best to make a new sn. so if it is really a huge deal then i will use my other one sorry:confused:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Well since your falling at terminal velocity right now is there anything you can give the forum members for more reassurance? it doesnt look look too good right now

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i really dont know what your talking about im just trying to put together a group buy

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I think you need to try to look at this from other people's point of view.

New person signs onto forum. Does not say he is a returning person until asked. Copies an old thread with no explanation, word for word. Even says in the first post that he will be using his car for the tooling (which TheSaint originally said). Asks for ten people to send $2500 each. Zero new information again until asked (which company is making it).

Then you seem to not understand why some people are concerned.

Look.. I don't care. I am not in your group buy.. but I am trying to explain things to you. I hope you get it. Partly this is a concern for the community, but also for you. I think you are getting frustrated and I don't see it ending well.

As an aside, before I personally would send off $2500 to ANYONE, I would want to know a LOT more about who you are, your business background, your ability to handle this, previous group buys. You can have great intentions, but a lot can go wrong. And to me, if you are missing why people are questioning this (which it seems you are), then to me the chances of success are less than I would hope for.

And to me, I would consider sending that money to someone that has been on the forum for a longer period of time. But I would not even buy something on ebay for more than $20 from a brand new person. Other people may feel differently.

Now speaking as the forum owner.. you agreed when you signed up to not create a new account. And you did and you did not ask me about that. That was probably a mistake, but don't turn it around and say "if it bothers you so much..." It does not "bother me" at all. It is against the rules and there is a reason we have those rules. We can merge your accounts, but then you also have to quit logging in as TheSaint also.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Exactly!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
i have the intentions of continuing where the saint left off nothing more nothing less. as far as business goes, im an exige owner looking to get the ball rolling on the kit
and as far as logging in as the saint i did so to read his pm's with his permission to get ahold of people previously interested in the group buy. my apologies for not asking permission to create a second account.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
good intentions, but bad business strategy

wow. just wow.
i was going to say this about the fact that the deposit is NONREFUNDABLE, to me thats a deal breaker.

as a small businessman myself for 20 years now, i would say that you NEED to make 1 prototype sucsessfully, and THEN charge for the unit AFTER you have proved you can actually do this, AND know what the obsticles are, AND just how much it will really cost to make, and how long it takes to produce.

to me you are jumping the gun here. its like you are a drug company trying to sell on the market a new drug, that hasnt even been made yet, its just still in the "idea" stage.
I love small business, and am all for you being sucsessful, and i think the look in the pictures is bitchin';

BUT, really who in their right mind is going to do this as non refundable.

seems to me you need a partner as a backer and build one, and then market the finished product.

maybe i am just crazy, but right now, you are selling your dream, not really selling a product.
make one, and then sell them.

I would like to see you suceed, but while your intentions are good, i think your plan of exectuting this is very backwards and flawed.
cheers
fishguy

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
i agree with everything above me. Especially about the non refundable deposit and the fact that theres nothing new you are presenting just resurrecting an old project. I agree make at least one working model out of your own money before you start asking for peoples money. Because all those pictures arent your work. I'd love to see this happen though you just might have to invest some of your own money.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
the reason behind the non refundable deposit is to keep people from backing out due to the extreme price difference between having 9 to 10 kits made. Over $1000 for each kit and that would cause the other kits prices to go up significantly. The company wont even start anything without 10 pre orders with deposits. hope that helps to explain my reasons.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
the reason behind the non refundable deposit is to keep people from backing out due to the extreme price difference between having 9 to 10 kits made. Over $1000 for each kit and that would cause the other kits prices to go up significantly. The company wont even start anything without 10 pre orders with deposits. hope that helps to explain my reasons.
Your reason is valid, however, the fabrication company's lack of confidence in the market, which I assume is their reason for NOT producing a working prototype first, only raises my (and obviously, others') lack of confidence in their ability to make a working prototype. There are many variables in making something like this viable, and I for one don't want to pay for their R&D while they try to make it work...or not. Just my .02

EDIT TO ADD: Also, Matt's point about design infringement is an extremely good one and deserves addressing. Would Lotus be within their rights to shut this down? And if so, what happens to the deposits? On a more positive note, if you would have started this thread off with pics of a working prototype, as well as interior and exterior video with the car being put through its paces, I can almost guarantee you the orders would be exceeding your minimum expectations.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
On a more positive note, if you would have started this thread off with pics of a working prototype, as well as interior and exterior video with the car being put through its paces, I can almost guarantee you the orders would be exceeding your minimum expectations.
You have a valid point. I will be starting a new thread just to gauge interest and discuss technicalities, concerns, ideas, and anything else concerning the kit to begin the process to make sure that people would be interested in this kit and that it is worth my time and money to get going. Also to cool things off i will no longer be posting under this name for less confusion and to maintain the sites rules. my apologies.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would like a rolling chassis first then....
body kit plus a hot, hot engine that is light.
This would be really fun
:popcorn:

21 - 40 of 50 Posts