The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Elise in Sept. '05, I was seriously considering a Z51 Corvette. Prices were similar but, at that time, Chevy dealers weren't dealing. Lotus dealers were - at least on Aztec Bronze cars:shrug:

It looks like I can get a 6 speed Z51 for $45K. It would be brand new, have 436 HP (7 lbs / hp, the same as my Elise - 1,851 lbs - with a TVS supercharger! - which I don't yet have) and 100K mile factory warranty. The torque figures aren't bad either:rolleyes:

The kicker, 0% financing for 5 years!

Is now the time to help the US economy and "go Vette"? (keeping the Lotus of course)

·
Registered
821 Posts
depends if you want a Vette or a Lotus. I hate Vettes...they are much too common for middle aged men in my town to own. I see them on every corner.

Like in "Gone in 60 seconds" when Nicholas Cage is in the Ferrari Dlr and says "yes, this one, I saw three of these outside the local starbucks just this morning" (not a perfect quote I'm sure)....but that's how common vettes are here.

I'm probably biased...but there's my .02

·
Registered
657 Posts
Don't count on me to do that. If you can do it financially, then go for it. I for one like the new corvettes. Z51 has some nice performance figures and much more comfortable as a daily driver. Black on black? Yellow/black wheels? What is the config?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The last thing I'd recommend doing right now is choosing to go further into debt, regardless of what the interest rate is. The economy is in a downward spiral, and until we hit bottom, we won't know how far down that bottom is.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't count on me to do that. If you can do it financially, then go for it. I for one like the new corvettes. Z51 has some nice performance figures and much more comfortable as a daily driver. Black on black? Yellow/black wheels? What is the config?
White, 6 speed (of course), competition wheels, duel mode exhaust. I could justify it by having my wife drive it - and get rid of our WRX which is her DD now.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The last thing I'd recommend doing right now is choosing to go further into debt, regardless of what the interest rate is. The economy is in a downward spiral, and until we hit bottom, we won't know how far down that bottom is.
Good point Matt. We could be on the verge of turn-around now though:huh:

In all fairness, I bought my Elise right after taking a ride in yours. I value your input on my latest "made in USA" idea...

·
Registered
508 Posts
My advice, do it.

You cannot live your life worried about what may happen. The news and everyone walks to prognosticate on how bad it is or is going to get. Have I seen it better, you bet, but you will truly never know when the bottom was reached until it is too late.

When I get my bonus in two weeks, we are going to do our part to lift the economy. :)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
One thing to consider;

The price of the Corvette has become more reasonable –

However, the price of the required gold chains is through the roof -poke-

Just kidding - do what makes you happy -

Just think it thourgh first

Good Luck -

·
Registered
190 Posts
Depends what you're looking for. I sold my C5 Z06 vette for an Elise because the steering wheel was large, overboosted, numb, and had no feedback. It responded quick, but still, the lack of weight in the wheel made the car feel pretty floaty, like the wheels weren't touching the road.

The corvette chassis is great, but the plush leather seats bounce you up and down and soak up all the messages. Dampens it quite a bit, resulting in a more comfortable ride - but you won't feel one with the car very well, imo.

Of course, I'm talking about a C5 z06 and not a C6 z51, but from what I've read, the C6 z51 rides even more like an accord (a really fast one, though). Steering was apparently improved on '08, but I have yet to hear good things about it.

Test drive the vette. You'll know whether you like it or not. :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing to consider;

The price of the Corvette has become more reasonable –

However, the price of the required gold chains is through the roof -poke-

Just kidding - do what makes you happy -

Just think it thourgh first

Good Luck -
Thanks. I have all the chains I can wear. I am aware that how I handle my finances during this challenging time will impact my family for years to come...

Attachments

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depends what you're looking for. I sold my C5 Z06 vette for an Elise because the steering wheel was large, overboosted, numb, and had no feedback. It responded quick, but still, the lack of weight in the wheel made the car feel pretty floaty, like the wheels weren't touching the road.

The corvette chassis is great, but the plush leather seats bounce you up and down and soak up all the messages. Dampens it quite a bit, resulting in a more comfortable ride - but you won't feel one with the car very well, imo.

Of course, I'm talking about a C5 z06 and not a C6 z51, but from what I've read, the C6 z51 rides even more like an accord (a really fast one, though). Steering was apparently improved on '08, but I have yet to hear good things about it.

Thanks, I may go for a drive this coming weekend...Or maybe, I'll come to my senses and go back to craving only euro sports cars.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you can afford it.......DO IT!

You only live once....
You can't beat 0%....

·
Registered
87 Posts

I agree. I test drove the new "high hp" one Z0 bla bla, ......boring. Still the same " I wonder what it's going to do next..no feel vehicle".:panic: My 2500 GM pick-up truck has better feedback in turns and that is no joke.

We couldn't get rid of our '04 Zo6 quick enough after less than one year of ownership. One thing that was really annoying on that car is the fact that it did not let you shift from 1st to 2nd if you elected to drive the car "normally" and shift between 2000 and 2500 rpm...it will only let you go from first into fourth (I guess that way it passed the EPA city driving cycle). :mad:This was especially annoying to the wifal unit who used it as a daily driver.

Drive the car before you sign on the dotted line. "Slinky" was my Vette's nickname.:D

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you promise to keep the Lotus get the Vette!!! They are so different that they can complement the other. One is a surgical grade scalpel the other is a giant laser guided cruise missile. You have the money and well the numbers are good so go for it and let things fall where they land.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
no offense MattG, but that's just what the economy needs, everyone to hold their breath and someone to get talked out of buying a GM. Hell if we don't all buy a GM Obama will never get our money back.
I for one am doing my part in a turn around, more work and more spending.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Nah, you already have a lotus, thats the point... Its just a less interesting car.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Check out C6 Corvette General Discussion - Corvette Forum for opinions on the C6. Pretty good bang for the $ and a nice GT to boot.

If you aren't going to track or autocross it, pass on the Z51 option; get either a base and replace the stock shocks with Bilstiens HD's or get F55 option with the magnetic dampers.

The forum sponsors are really discounting leftover 08's and even 09' C6 big time. C6 Dealer Inventory - Corvette Forum

Or check jeffhardy.com Home Page for all the unsold vettes (lots of em) in your area.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no offense MattG, but that's just what the economy needs, everyone to hold their breath and someone to get talked out of buying a GM. Hell if we don't all buy a GM Obama will never get our money back.
I for one am doing my part in a turn around, more work and more spending.
Minnis bring ups a great philosophical point... is one responsible to themselves in these tough times and therefore should "pull back" on all fronts until the economy bottoms out - then jump in with both feet to make a killing, or do we have a shared responsibility to support others in these times by continuing to invest and shop when we have the means? A very interesting point!

On the simpler level, yes we absolutely would drive the Vette before getting serious about it. Finally, I will of course keep the Lotus. In fact - in my best Charlton Heston voice: "They'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands".

1 - 20 of 58 Posts