The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was looking for my elise in late 2005, I wanted to wait for the 06 model and the color choices were Orange, black, yellow and last Storm Ti. My local dealer could not get one and they tried (Wanted specific options and hard combination to find at that time)! They found a STorm Ti with all the options I wanted. Loved it then and still love it....But in the back of my mind I wished for another color...6+ years later and some mods done :) here is what she looks like....

I looked at the cost of repainting and it is basically cost prohibitive...Then I started looking into vinyl wraps. Anyone done it? Read some threads but have not seen final finished product on an elise.

Go at it...do not hold back! Flame suit on if necessary....Thanks for your input.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
car looks good, I thought about wrapping for a moment to get rid of the "I'm a 2005 and have the rock chips to prove it" look.. Then I thought, what do I think of when I see a wrapped car? especially a used car that's been wrapped to look new... what are they hiding?

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but I thought a wrapped car was wrapping it with paint protection like the Starshield offered by Lotus. Is the wrapping you are referring to hide imperfections and if so, is it clear or color coated? Personally I wouldn't criticize the process if it was removable for a reasonable sum and did not damage the underlying paint.

Thanks,
vincesf

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Don't get it, it looks too much like my car.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
So to wrap the car, the vinyl that they use is about 1/16 the thickness of the factory star shield...from what I have been told from a friend of mine who is in the buisness. It is ONLY used to cover, and it will NOT protect the car from rock chips or anything else as it will tear/give way pretty easily.

Now with that sad, I have seen some pretty bad vinyl wraps and I have seen some really good vinyl wraps. I would say that if you HONESTLY can not live with the car, then drop the $1-$2k to get your car wrapped, just make sure they plan on doing a good job of it, which means removing any and all lights so they can get a nice clean wrap around the turn signals, headlamps, tail lamps, license plate tray, etc...(and in your case also the front lip and rear spoiler).

But personally speaking, I think the car looks great, and that color is a great color to enjoy. No wrap, in my mind, will ever match the metallic sparkle in the paint that Lotus offers...unless you try to look SWIZZ in style, and go for a "Chrome" wrap color.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Save your pennies and just get a TVS setup. You won't really care what the color of the car is at that point. :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Sounds like you misunderstood your friend. Wrap vinyl is about 25 mil while the "star shield" (or clear bra as it's called for every other vehicle) is around 40 mil (all depending on brand used).
It protected decently from rock chips and no it doesn't tear easily. Lasts about the same as the stock paint would.

Wrap job with normal driving usually will hold up for a few years. It's alot cheaper than painting it. The area under my doors to the front of the rear tire is a wrap on my car. Was hammered WAY bad from racing on unswept tracks. It's the same color as my car though, can't really tell unless your looking for it.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,748 Posts
I don't know why you would want to wrap it... You have the BEST color! :D

Seriously your car looks nice!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the inputs. As for trading it, I have put too much time and effort in the car and will lose $$$ in the trade. My worry is that it will look cheesy but I have seen other non Lotus cars that look amazing if the job is done right. Guess I will hold for now...

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Try something different for a while:

Fingerpaint, assorted colors - $30

Neighborhood kids - free

Handprints and footprints

When it rains, start over.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I don't know why you would want to wrap it... You have the BEST color! :D

Seriously your car looks nice!
Exactly what I was going to say!

Why change the best color there is -poke-

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
There is a guy here in town who wrapped his Ardent Red elise in Matte Black recently, and it looks good.

Id say do it!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nice car.. But color is a bit boring thats why you are asking for other lotus owners opinion. Im against repainting/replacing original color, because it will ruin your resale value and people will think your car came from an accident. Remove all your aftermarket parts, SELL the car and get a red, yellow or orange!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have seen a number of wrapped cars. Audi, Aston Martin etc. High end cars with high end wrap jobs. Every one of them looked like crap. From 100 feet away, they looked really cool (all were matte finish) but from 10 feet away, they looked like a 17 year old went nuts on the car. I was considering a yellow Aston Martin Vantage V8 that was originally a rare yellow. It was wrapped in matte white. How do you think the edges looked when I opened the door? Maybe I'm biased......my car......

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I think wraps look ok when there are graphics because your eye is broken up and you don't focus on any errors. As noted, they just look bad on solid cars.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Seen a couple of full wrapped Eliges in SA. Some are alright, some not so great. Here is a pic

By the way, this Exige is Red underneath...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts