The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just recently came across the Lotus while looking for a new car. Has basically everything I want and the price is great compared to high end sports cars. My biggest problem is that im 6'5 : / lotus looks a little larger than some cars I have tried to fit into such as a corvette but im not sure :confused: any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Hello, I just recently came across the Lotus while looking for a new car. Has basically everything I want and the price is great compared to high end sports cars. My biggest problem is that im 6'5 : / lotus looks a little larger than some cars I have tried to fit into such as a corvette but im not sure :confused: any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
yes, plenty of threads on the subject
-at 6'5", you're definitely in the upper threshold, depends on how big your torso is vs leg length. (waist size as well, if you're a big guy)

The only way to find out is to find one and sit in it.

But one thing for sure, once you see one in person, you'll discover that it only looks large in photos!
if you had trouble getting into a 'vette, that easily rules out considering an Elise/Exige

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My problem with the vette was my head hit the roof so i couldn't see out the window :( im curious as to how much the sector111 kit would lower it by? I was able to get in the vette just needed a few more inches... Being tall sucks when it comes to cars : / Anyone have any suggestions for a "sports car" that would fit a taller person.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
glbv--you will fit if you want to.

I'm 6'5" and decided to fit in the stock Elise. I've since done several mods to fit better. If you're near Santa Barbara, let me know and you can sit in my car. Go you your local dealer to try a stock one.

There are a lot of posts about this. "Search" is your friend.

Go for it!

Thanks,

Joe

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
My problem with the vette was my head hit the roof so i couldn't see out the window :( im curious as to how much the sector111 kit would lower it by? I was able to get in the vette just needed a few more inches... Being tall sucks when it comes to cars : / Anyone have any suggestions for a "sports car" that would fit a taller person.
How about one of those Cobra kit cars?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
PM ACE 10 for more info. Okay....bad idea.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
I'm 6'3" and fit OK, but I don't think I would fit well if I was 6'5". If you get the DownLow seat rail kit from Sector 111 it will drop you down a couple of inches and help a lot. As mentioned before, the best bet is to just go try one on for size and see how it fits.

Oh yeah, if you are looking for a sports car built for tall/big guys, the old Datsun 240Z has to be the best. Lots of leg room, head room, and plenty of width. My 6'5" college room mate fit with inches to spare in every dimension. Unfortunately these aren't new cars and are now collectors items.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ill definitely go sit in one now that some of you at least think that it might work. closest dealership is about 75miles away in nyc : /

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm 6'4" tall/195 lbs and I fit just fine. Not *tons* of head room, but enough. I have pretty long legs so getting in and out is a bit tricky, but there are some threads here that contain a video clip showing a technique that seems to work for many.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just traded my Elise in...and I must be honest and say that I don't regret it. At 6'4", 220lbs, I was a tight fit...but I've had small cars before:
MR2Spyder - had much more room than the Elise
C5Z06 - twice as much legroom as the Elise, and an aftermarket seatmounts gives much more headroom.

For me, the car was only a track car...as a street car it was torturous, and did have the Sector111 loweringkit. My knees were bent up next to the wheel, the seat was very small in the hips/waist (and I'm quite lean...athletic). Overall, the car was not designed for taller people.

For a sports car for taller people, the C5Vette is tough to beat. Plenty of legroom and with an aftermarket seat or aftermarket mounts, plenty of headroom.

But hey, itcan be done...just depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice in regards to space/comfort.

Be good,
TomK

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I'm 6'3" and I have about 2 inches above my head of air space. The only issue I've come across sometimes is shifting into reverse, not a lot of room in between the steering wheel and shifter. Other then that, you get used to it and it's not bad at all.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think your too big. Sorry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just recently sat in a Z06 and a little trouble getting in but when I was in the seat my forehead would come to the top of the windshield. : / I didn't know about seat lowering kits till this post and am curious as if a corvette would have one available. If there is one available and it provides me like 2 more inchs then id be fine.

Just a shame cause the lotus styling is just amazing. Does anyone know if the Europa will have any more size? Cause i would love a car that looks like a lotus just scaled up a lil :p Thanks for the fast and helpful responses btw, nothing like other car forums.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I don't fit well in a C5 Corvette (I am in one about once a week or so), but do fit well in my Elise (driven daily). I am 6'6" and about 255 or so pounds.

I tried the downlow seat rails from Sector111 and they didn't work for me. While they did increase headroom, they took too much leg room.

Much just depends on body shape. In the end, you really just need to spend some time in one to see how it will work.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just recently sat in a Z06 and a little trouble getting in but when I was in the seat my forehead would come to the top of the windshield. : / I didn't know about seat lowering kits till this post and am curious as if a corvette would have one available. If there is one available and it provides me like 2 more inchs then id be fine.

Just a shame cause the lotus styling is just amazing. Does anyone know if the Europa will have any more size? Cause i would love a car that looks like a lotus just scaled up a lil :p Thanks for the fast and helpful responses btw, nothing like other car forums.
Probably worth taking the time to find a dealer and sit in one. I'm not as tall as you, but ruled out the Elise as too small when it first came out (without ever actually sitting in one). The itch never went away and I finally got around to test driving one and found it to be just fine. I bought one the very next day. I just wished I had done it 2 years earlier. If you love the car you owe it to yourself to at least know 100% whether it's an option or not.

Couple of things:
1) It's much, much easier to get in / out with the top off.
2) The sunvisors can be removed which gives you an extra inch or two of very needed visibility. It really helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I would love to get to a dealer but the closest one is about 2+ hours away in CT So its more or less just finding the time to take a day off. But does anyone know the exact amount that the seat lowering kit lowers your seat? Would help to be able to factor that in when i do go to the dealer.

Btw this may be a stupid question but are the Elise and Exige the same dimensions?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yes, the Elise and the Exige have the same interior dimensions. It is hard to just say the downlow seat rails will give you x amount of additional headroom. The reason is that it also tilts the seat. In tilting, it also moves the base forward a little which then takes away legroom. Unfortunately, the rails (much like the Elise/Exige itself) are something you really just need to try out for yourself.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts