The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have modified my S1 seat to give more headroom in the car

It has made a nice difference, in fact the difference between being a little cramped, to being just fine...

Here's what I've done. I have dropped the seat in it's brackets by approx 1.5cm and have also raised the front by 0.5" I machined some alu bar for these (tried 0.75" but this was too much)

This has lowered my head position twofold

First, my bottom has gone down (the underneath of the seat just touches the floor) and the seat has 'hinged' backwards, lowering my head some more

You can see by the paint overspray on the seat how much the seat has dropped in the bracket

Here's the other side

The machined spacers

And here's the spacer in situ

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I would guess it's just the same. With my DownLow seat, the underneath also touches the floor, and the seatback is tilted slightly rearward similar to yours. But good for you for finding a way to do it without paying for the kit!

However, caution to those of us with long legs versus long torsos. By lowering the seat and raking it back by raising the front, you will actually LOSE legroom, while gaining headroom. I have more headroom, but now my shins sometimes scrape the Al tray of the dash, and my knees almost touch the turn signal and wiper stalks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would guess it's just the same. With my DownLow seat, the underneath also touches the floor, and the seatback is tilted slightly rearward similar to yours. But good for you for finding a way to do it without paying for the kit!

However, caution to those of us with long legs versus long torsos. By lowering the seat and raking it back by raising the front, you will actually LOSE legroom, while gaining headroom. I have more headroom, but now my shins sometimes scrape the Al tray of the dash, and my knees almost touch the turn signal and wiper stalks.
Agreed. Most of my height is in my torso, so this (and probably the downlow) is perfect.

I also have a short gear shifter so my (left) knee has more room. I can also turn the wheel while keeping the same hold and my hand gets through the gap between my other knee.

Only thing I haven't managed yet is heel 'n toe...

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Yep... heel 'n toe is much harder with really long legs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts